Sunday Selections # 531

 Long, long ago, in days of yore...Kim of Frog ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections. 

A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please. 

Nothing rude or vulgar though.

And we don't mind at all if overseas bloggers care to join us.

The meme is now continued by Elephant's Child and I occasionally join in as do a few others. Andrew is one, messymimi is another. Drop in to Elephant's Child and have a look.

We'll start today with a couple of photos of the latest supermoon, taken by "no-one" with her PHONEOops! I made a boo-boo. The photos were taken with her CAMERA


I can't get decent closeups of the moon as she rises, I simply can't see any horizon from where I live.


she looks like a giant Christmas tree ornament. They said it was a pink moon, but there's no pink that I can see.


I almost never manage to spot a magpie up in the tree, they are good at hiding, but here is one singing loud for all to hear, you can see his beak is wide open to let the music out.


the rosebushes have rosehips on them now


and the Nandina has gorgeous new fiery red tip growth


the Pride of Erin has died, there are two bushes side by side, equally dead and by the blackened shrivelled leaves I suspect poisoned.  If they don't show new growth in the spring I will know for sure and then I will cut them down and maybe dig out the roots, if I can.


the Fejoia right next to them was severely cut back but has now made significant growth again,


and is dropping its fruits to indicate ripeness.


I took a couple inside to try, the jellied section is what you scoop out with a spoon and eat. When I first tasted these just after moving in here, the flavour seemed to be a mix of banana and pineapple. This time I couldn't taste much of anything, very bland they are, and not something I would willingly buy in a shop, but to get them for free is fine, although I'm not sure I want to eat too many.


I have a new hanging plant in the garden, I've only ever known this as Swedish Ivy,


so I'm pleased to know now it is a Plectranthus. I never knew what a Plectranthus was.


I have a new gnome, very appropriate for the times, but don't dare put him in the garden where he will get stolen.


Meg: we love our new coats, they are Barbie sized cardigans, but coats on us.
Gillian: we have something to tell you
Me: and what is that?

Meg: there is a rustling in the trees
Gillian: a whisper on the breeze
Meg: Riley is coming home.
Me: who is Riley?
Meg: another sister, she has been gone a very long time, years and years, she said she was going to look for Jordan, but we don't think she found her :(
Me: how do you know she is coming?
Gillian: we have Telepathy


Look at the blankets going round and round in the dryer, mum had to wash them because Lola has been sicking up her dinners, yuk. She has allergies, but maybe she just eats too fast sometimes.


Gillian: The blankets are lovely and soft now, warm still from the dryer.
Meg: I like this teal colour best.

Comments

  1. Oh, Meg and Gillian are telepaths. I'd never have guessed. Gratz on the triplets ;) The pink moon was never pink, but named for a pink flower flowering now at the full moon. I've forgotten the name - North American one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; I had no idea the girls were telepathic, but I don't mind at all. I read about the pink flower in our newspaper the day after the pink moon but I can't remember the name of it either.

      Delete
  2. I believe that at its height (around half past midnight) the moon was pink. I missed it. Triplets? Exciting times ahead. For you all.
    I feature the moon and Nandina's new growth today too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; midnight? I was sound asleep by then. Exciting times and busy times as I try to get clothes for all of them. I have patterns to sew, but no fabric yet.
      Nandina isn't my favourite plant but she is very pretty right now.

      Delete
  3. These super-moon pictures are different but beautiful. I love Meg and Gillian's clothes. They are so cute. Happy Autumn season

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moonlight serenade....and moonlight sonata...the sky was alight.

    Have a fun week ahead, River. Cuddles to the lovely Lady Lola. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; I don't think there was any serenading going on around here, unless I count the loud sounds from the video games being played across the driveway. Lola gets her cuddles every night.

      Delete
  5. If it was pink, I missed that too. Always impressed with the girls growing wardrobe. Nothing like warm blankets from the dryer. And is the family growing? Can't wait to see Riley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; I rarely use the dryer, electricity here is more expensive than anywhere else in the world, but the blankets were needed, so in the dryer they went. According to the girls, the family IS growing. I asked them what Riley looks like and they both said "just like us"

      Delete
  6. I saw a pink picture of the moon.
    Another sister coming. Hooray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne; I would love to see a pink moon, but it always seems to happen when I'm fast asleep. another sister is bound to be more fun and more knitting and sewing.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful moon shots, even if they are not at the horizon.

    What fun to have another sister to play with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I often wish I lived where I could see the horizon, to get moonrise and sunrise as well as sunset photos. With three little red-haired girls I might have to get a bigger house :)

      Delete
  8. Good Sunday selection. I took a photo of the moon but it didn't come out the normal colour because I took it too late at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; late at night photos are often just a white ball in a black sky, at its zenith it is too far away from earth.

      Delete
  9. Great moon photos! I wonder if that fruit would have more taste if it was left to ripen some more. Not that I would know when it was ripe, aside from falling on the ground. I love the picture of Meg and Gillian watching the dryer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I shall pass the word on about the photos. The fruit doesn't ripen any more, it falls to the ground as soon as it is edible. The tree doesn't hold the fruit.
      Meg and Gillian love watched the clothes and things spin around.

      Delete
  10. No One is very skilled with her camera. Unless you want the rose hips for something, I believe they are best cut off as they take goodness from the rose that it can use elsewhere. Probably why dead heading roses is important. Meg and Gillian are certainly interested in the dryer goings on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; no one has a much steadier hand than I do. Yes about the rosehips. I should go out and do some pruning, but there are far too many bushes and all are overgrown since the last time I spent a few hours out there cutting out crossing branches, cutting away deadwood etc. They need a proper gardener.

      Delete
  11. Ohhhh, my Dad would run over to you for that moon!!
    Love the magpies. Miss them.
    I´ve never ever heard of Fejoia! Sounds YUM!

    Plectranthus? I had to copy that word, LOL. Unknown here (Oh, come on, I´m honest at least! ;-)...).


    That gnome... I was tempted to buy one who has his trousers down, showing his butt (to my very hm.hm.hm) neighbor...

    Will we meet Riley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; the fejoia fruit is not yum, has very little flavour and can't tell what that flavour is like.
      Plectranthus would not grow in Germany unless in a hothouse I think.
      My um had a gnome like that and it was motion activated to fart everytime someone walked past.
      You will meet Riley after she arrives.

      Delete
    2. LOL, that gnome sounds tempting!
      Amazing what phones can do these days!
      Sad with the fruit - or good, I cannot buy it here anyways.

      Delete
  12. RILEY!!! Hurry home, your sisters are waiting!
    I am so excited to meet her.
    My girlettes are psychic or something too--they know things without being told.
    And yours are poetic too "a rustling on the breeze..."

    The Barbie cardigans make ideal coats!

    Rolling in the warm blankets---big smile. They are adorable.

    Thanks for the look at your garden--
    mostly quite exotic to this Minnesotan! Except the rose hip and ivy.
    I looked up Plectranthus and read it's "a family of 350 diverse foliage plants includes coleus, Swedish ivy, and Cuban oregano."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresca; we aren't sure when Riley is arriving, but the girlettes are planning a slumber party with movies. I'll have to buy a few more cardigans in different colours. They took a long time to arrive so I will order them later today to be sure we have them for when the frosty weather arrives.
      I knew the Plectranthus has a large family but didn't know Coleus was part of it. I used to grow Coleus when I lived in Sydney.

      Delete
  13. I would make rose hip jelly in the good old days. Delicious!

    Thrilled another sister is joining your two and the cardies are delightful!!! I had spanish ivy one time and it was magnificent, I wonder if same thing. After two years it went crazy with beautiful purple flowers. Never found it since :(

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW; I have never made Rosehip jelly, but I have bought some from the local Farmer's Market, nice on toast, but didn't have much flavour. Plenty of Vitamin C I suppose. My children drank Rosehip syrup diluted with water when they were babies, then Ribena which they liked better.
      Search Plectranthus varieties and you may find the Spanish ivy.
      We are all eagerly awaiting Riley's arrival.

      Delete
  14. One of my sister in law makes Rose hip jelly.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; I have never made it and I don't think there will be enough rosehips here anyway. Only the old-fashioned roses make decent deep red hips and I only see a few out in the garden, not even a dozen hips.

      Delete
  15. last time once i went to our nearest observatory.. i used my dslr camera without the lens and tucked it together to the big telescope.. and the result image was super beautiful..

    ps. Greetings from Malaysia 🇲🇾😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wak Lat; welcome to drifting. Our nearest observatory is too far away, so "no-one" and myself just rely on our cameras.

      Delete
  16. Hi river,

    I have never heard of a fejoia. We don't get them oop north!

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plasman; because they are a tropical fruit and Adelaide has a mostly Mediterranian climate.

      Delete
  17. *waves* love the pics, brilliant post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs