Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by messymimi and can be found here.

Next month is MY turn to provide the prompts, right here on this blog.

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. love 

2. ocean.

3. savor 

4. detail 

5. charge 

6. childlike 

and/or: 

1. last 

2. broadcast 

3. lick 

4. system 

5. crash 

6. shocking 

Here is my story:

"I do so love the ocean," I declared as I charged across the sand as fast as my walker allowed and with childlike glee splashed into the shallows, getting my shoes and dress wet, but I didn't care. It had been far too long since we were allowed out, well over a year now since the latest virus had spread around the world.  Back in the twentieth century there had been influenzas of various types, bird flu etc then the Covid scare that had most of the world locked down. Since then, assorted viruses and lockdowns had come and gone and most of us were used to being locked away for months at a time. 

But last night, the radio broadcast declared the air safe enough for an outing as long as the groups were small and didn't venture too far. The nursing home staff had called us together to ask if we wanted to go out and had given us a choice of destinations. A cafe for tea and cakes or a trip to the nearest beach.  A handful of us wanted the beach, saying that we had tea and cakes here twice a week anyway, so that wouldn't be much of an outing. 

A bus was hired and those of us going carefully loaded ourselves and our walkers, making sure to buckle the seat belts. "I hope we can stay out for at least an hour," I said. "I want to savour every detail."

As I splashed my way up and down the shore line, Rachel, the supervisor in charge called out to me, "Be careful Elise, you're getting very damp and the waves are getting bigger. Look towards the horizon and see them beginning to crash." I looked as directed and she was right of course. The tide was coming in, with the tiny waves now slapping almost to my knees instead of my ankles. I was having a smashing time. 😀

Rachel came down to help me out of the waves, shaking her head at the shocking state of my shoes. "They'll take days to dry out," she said, to which I replied, "I'll just have bare feet then." 
That's not allowed and you know it," said Rachel. "The system says footwear at all times unless in bed and you can't lick the system. Now come a bit higher on the sand and we can watch the tide come in while your dress dries, then it's time to get back on the bus."

We all did as we were told, standing well back as the tide came in and knocked over several sandcastles made by Sylvia and Cassie. "Come on now girls," called Rachel. We've been here an hour and the bus driver has other jobs to go to." We piled back into the bus, damp and sandy, but happy. 


Comments

  1. Beach time is fun time no matter what age you are. Well written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; thank you. I'd be at the beach every day if I could.

      Delete
  2. Lovely. And most definitely worth wet feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you, definitely worth the wet feet but maybe the shoes will need replacing.

      Delete
  3. What a delightful day. I could feel the joy and excitement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; thank you, I hoped the happiness would come through.

      Delete
  4. Ah, most shoes dry faster than that, such a day is worth a wetting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; thank you. It's true most shoes dry fairly quickly, but I remember a pair of sodden sneakers that took a week to be completely dry.

      Delete
  5. Eighteen months ago most people (except epidemiologists) would have found this scenario far-fetched . . . not now. I like the way you've looked into the future with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jenny_o; thank you, it's nice to see you here again. I've been hearing on the news about this latest virus being transmitted via air, so I worked that in because it does seem correct.

      Delete
  6. Your love of the sea and beach shows River :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; I do wish I lived closer to it.

      Delete
  7. ... " a smashing time" - oh, boy, I hope this is but a story and not a real view into our future. But at least your persons haven´t lost their humor! Who knows what´s up for us, huh. Never barefoot but in bed?! I love to walk around barefoot at home, we have real wood as floor.
    Or take shi#... um... dog poo. I could wash my feet, but the next time, 40 years later, I wore shoes and they had to go to the bin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; this is a story, I don't think things will get so bad that we all become used to being in lockdowns. The rule for shoes is so no-one stubs their toes or drops anything onto their feet. Old people need to be careful of injuries that could stop them walking.

      Delete
  8. I think that day at the beach will "tide" them over until the next outing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely story of elder fun in the water! Who cares about the shoes!!!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW; exactly! shoes are nothing compared to wind and waves.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs