Sunday Selections # 558

 Long ago, Kim of Frog ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections. 

A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please. 

Nothing rude or vulgar though.

And we don't mind at all if overseas bloggers care to join us.

The meme is now continued by Elephant's Child and I occasionally join in as do a few others. Andrew is one.  Messymimi is another. Drop in to Elephant's Child and have a look.

this groundcover plant has tiny fan shaped flowers

the tall shrub down at the corner (photinia?) is currently causing me hayfever grief, along with many other plants

each flower is made up of smaller flowers, each of which is itself made of even tinier flowers, the bees are loving it

a single pink bud rising above all the others

my Monsteras have been replanted into bigger pots and have rewarded me by almost doubling in height

this is one of the pink blooms on the "black" pelargonium plant, others nearby are even pinker with no black on the petals. I'm going to have to trace the branches to the base and see if it is a separate plant or not. The bloom here is on the same branch as two "black" ones, the lighter pinks may not be, which would make it the source of the cross pollination.

the mesembyryanthemum, or livingstone daisy if you prefer, has become infested with mealy-bugs again, so the porch is not a good spot for it. I have moved it back into the garden when there is more free flowing air and wind which the mealy-bugs don't like; most of them have disappeared now and I picked off the remaining few. The plant will stay down in the garden now, instead of brightening my porch.


for Iris; here is a full grown umbrella tree, taller than the two storey building housing our flats

here you can see how the leaves droop in a circular umbrella shape

the red spikes are the flowers of the umbrella tree

Meg: "the screen looks huge from this angle"

Jordan: "what shall we watch?"

Gillian: "let me see the selections"



Riley: "what would you like to see Mr Grumpy?"


Comments

  1. Ah yes, the joys of Spring and hay fever. Hope the trouble makers quit blooming soon. So nice seeing all the colors while the only color we have here are changing leaves. Love how the girls are so sweet to Mr. Grumpy. They keep that up and he may no longer be grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; the blooms are still here, but the pollens are gone thank goodness. I have a couple of weeks where I barely need antihistamine, but soon the Jacarandas will start. I have two Grump Gnomes and the girls keep trying to make them smile.

      Delete
  2. Sigh at the hayfever. My city has been noted as the hayfever capital of our country. As a child here (before I had a course of desensitising injections) I was miserable. These days I can be uncomfortable but the misery is gone.
    Sigh at the mealy bugs too.
    Another great selection. Thank you (and the girls) for joining us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I have thought of desensitising injections but do they work just for the regular runny nose, watery eyes hayfever or would they also work against the deep sinus face-ache throbbing head type that I get from the very heady blossoms such as the Jasmines, the Oriental lilies etc. I could look into it, but that means a lot of testing. For me, Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne are the worst places I could live, but I don't want to move back to Queensland and be so far away from family.

      Delete
    2. They worked for me against those deep sinus aches. And worked quickly. When I first had the tests it was determined that of the ten most common allergens the only ones that didn't give me problems were dog and cat hair. These days it is pretty much only artificial chemicals which give me grief. Incense, some perfumes and things like fly sprays...

      Delete
    3. Incense, heady perfumes, those awful shower cleaner sprays and many of the new fragranced laundry liquids and fabric softeners, I avoid all of those.

      Delete
  3. Fortunately, I've never suffered from hayfever. All the jacarandas are in full, glorious bloom up here on the mountain at present. So beautiful they are....I love them.

    I hope the week ahead is kind to you and the girls, River. And to the lovely Lady Lola...hugs to Lola. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; our Jacarandas haven't begun yet, they'll be about another week or ten days I think. The week promises to be a good one, most of the current pollinators have finished producing, so I can breathe easy for a while. Lola is being very cuddly in the evenings.

      Delete
  4. I think the first tree is a privet. Does it have purple berries? They are a pest tree. The umbrella tree is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; I don't think it is a privet, there is a privet hedge fairly close to me and the flowers are very different. It doesn't get berries. Lilly Pilly's get purple berries and there is one of those near me too, also a white cedar which drops yellow berries. i like the umbrella trees.

      Delete
  5. With blogs and such we who on North of Equator can see some pretty flowers.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; and we can see your pretty snow covered landscapes.

      Delete
  6. All beautiful, love to see them all. The girls are busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; thank you. The girls are sleeping today after a Harry Potter marathon last night.

      Delete
  7. Ohhh, the pink bud!
    And your Monsteras look wonderful.

    Oh WOW, that is a HUGE umbrella-tree!!! Thank you for pointing that out! Beautiful!

    Meg, I was told as kid your eyes go bad being so near to the screen... (boy, I´m an old nagger).
    Mr. Grumpy hopefully made a fun decision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; the pink bud is fully opened now and has been joined by three others on that bush. that is how tall umbrella trees grow and they are quite wide too.
      Meg is safe, the TV wasn't turned on yet, the girls sit six feet away in one of my TV chairs to watch anything.

      Delete
  8. Amazing flowers and great photography.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some plants just get picky about placement, i hope those bugs are gone for good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; the bugs aren't fully gone yet, but the flowers are finished for now. I think the bugs are a seasonal thing, but I'm still squishing a few each day as I see them. it is the only plant in my yard that gets them, so if another heavy infestation appears, that plant will get tossed out.

      Delete
  10. I love the fan-shaped flowers, especially the color, and also the flower-in-a-flower-in-a-flower shrub. Movie night! Looks like the girls have a large selection. I'm sure you monitor what they watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; those fan shaped flowers are so tiny, I had to kneel down and lean in for the photo. The shrub is a Photinia I think and gives terrible hayfever symptoms.
      The girls love movie night and I do monitor what they watch while I'm awake, but who knows what they watch while I'm sleeping? Last night they watched three Harry Potter movies in a row, so today they are sleeping late. Very late.

      Delete
    2. Lovely photographs. It's autumn here in the UK, of course, and today is very dull and drizzzly. On Sunday, though, there was glorious sunshine. That's one thing about British weather - it's very unpredictable.

      Delete
    3. AMKT; pretty much like Adelaide weather in the spring, sunny one day, stormy the next. We are having more rainy days than usual.

      Delete
  11. Monsteras in the garden! Here it's an indoor plant. Such wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; in my previous home I had them in pots in the carport where they grew taller and wider than me. These are also in pots and I expect them to eventually be huge.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs