Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Margaret Adamson and Sue Fulcher and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. an arm and a leg 

2. barking up the wrong tree

Here is my story:

"Ye're barkin' up the wrong tree with that one, Tyler. Them Rockford girls ain't for the likes of us," Cora shook her finger at him as she puffed on her pipe. "We sent ya ta school, so ye'd 'ave a better chance in life, and ya did good, but that Kimberley, she's still too far ahead. She comes from money. Don't think 'er Dad would take too kindly at you hangin' round."

"I've met her Granny," said Tyler, "and I got this feeling, like Wham! in my chest. I think she's the one and I have to give it a try at least." Cora stared at him for almost a full minute, then nodded her head. "I can see it in yer face, in yer eyes, but guard yer heart, Tyler. Don't play all yer cards too soon. Learn first if she's one a them what wants ya to spend an arm and a leg on everthin' jest to please her."

"I'll be careful Gran, but she's not the same as her sisters. If I get a decent job, I think she'd make a go of it with me."

Frank had been listening as he shook the dirt off his boots and now came in. "Let the boy 'ave 'is try, Cora, won't do no 'arm and the both of 'em might learn a bit about the other side."

He turned to Tyler then and got a stern look on his face. "But ya do the right thing by 'er. Don't you go gettin' 'er in trouble so 'er dad comes marchin' up 'ere with a shotgun, yer hear me?"

"I hear you Grandpa," said Tyler. " I won't be hurting her in any way."


Comments

  1. I can't help but picture Granny Clampet, Jed and Jethro. LOL.. Need to know how this courting goes. Good job River.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie; I pictured them too, but still in the hills before they went to Beverly Hills.

      Delete
  2. Every Father´s fear, even these days, huh.
    Loved to read the dialect, Reminded me of South Germany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; all father's do worry I guess, but not all of them have shotguns thank goodness. I'm surprised the dialect reminds you of South Germany. I pictured Hillbillies.

      Delete
  3. Hey if she comes from money, there may be opportunities for him with her family. I say go for it young man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; there may very well be chances for both of them and I think they will give it a try, but I don't think Tyler would work for her father. He wants to be his own man.

      Delete
  4. Good dialect writing. Well written.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor SE Moubarak; thank you, I wasn't sure I'd get it right.

      Delete
  5. Cora's pipe-puffing set the scene right away! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; thank you :) I knew you'd like that bit.

      Delete
  6. If he's a good man, and she's a good woman, it could work. Excellent use of the prompts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; he is a good man and she is somehow not snobbish and selfish like her sisters. I think they will do well.

      Delete
  7. Go, boy. Follow your heart - with care. I hope for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; he goes and finds she felt the same "wham" when she met him. I can't promise more.

      Delete
  8. Hope she get a decent job.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs