Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Margaret Adamson and Sue Fulcher and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. beechmast 

2. investigating 

3. muffler 

4. sensible 

5. penetrate 

6. fox 

and/or: 

1. ferrule 

2. miserable 

3. odd 

4. soaking 

5. bedstead 

6. contrary

Here is my story:

I took a few minutes to work on my crossword puzzle while my husband was under the car investigating the exhaust pipe. "The coke can has burned through," he said, tossing scraps of metal out from under then sliding himself out with two U-clamps in his hand. He used a pair of wire cutters to slice open another empty can, then crawled back under to fix it to the pipe, patching the hole, so we could continue our trip. "The hole is bigger now, next time we might need two cans and an extra clamp."

"The sensible thing to do would be getting the exhaust pipe replaced," I said. "You paying for that?" snapped the miserable bugger. "You know we can't afford that." He opened another can of coke and drank half before starting the car. "Take off your shoes again and let me know when the floorboards start feeling warm," he said as he slowly got the car back onto the road. 

We lived in Queensland at the time and were headed to South Australia to visit his parents. Unfortunately, we always took the cross country roads, where towns and help were few and far between. Taking the highway around the coast would take longer, he always said, getting there as fast as possible was always the aim. Get there, visit and get home, that was my contrary husband. Allowing for travel time we would have two days at his parents home before leaving again. 

I hadn't been able to crack the crossword, (the answer turned out to be "beechmast", something I had never heard of) and I couldn't write while the car was moving, every bump, every rut in the road sent my pen scrawling across the page, so I put it away and stared instead at the flat brown landscape, wishing  for different scenery. Just once, I wished we could take the coastal highway. I moved my feet, checking for warmth penetrating the floor, wondering if anyone else's husband did such odd things, coke cans and U clamps were a bandaid solution at best. 

As the floor got warmer, he asked me to let him know when it was actually hot, the further down the road the better in his opinion. When my feet became uncomfortable, we stopped. He knew roughly where we were, having made this same trip several times already, so he checked the map and decided on a longer stop at the next town. We could get something to eat and buy extra cans of coke. We limped along until the town was in sight and sighed with relief to see the service station was open. Ignoring the sandwiches in our Esky, we bought hotdogs instead and half a dozen cans of soft drink. Sitting at the table I confessed that I had been setting aside a few dollars a month towards buying a new bedstead, ours was cheap, old and ugly, and I wanted something nicer. 

"How much?" he asked and I said I wasn't exactly sure (big lie) and would have to check at the bank when we arrived at our destination. "Wait here," he said and walked around to the mechanic's office, coming back after a few minutes looking glum. "We can't get just a new exhaust pipe, it's a whole connected pipe and muffler which will cost about $xxx. If you can help with paying, we'll get it done the day after we get there." He used the servo's phone to call his parents and ask his dad to book us into the local repair shop. 

"You ready to get going again?" he said as he picked up the new cans. We wandered outside to find a fine, soaking drizzle had begun, cooling us down and washing the dust off the car as well. "We should be there by just after dinner time if we don't have to stop again," as he cracked open another can of coke and guzzled it down. A few hours later as the sun began to set, we had crossed the border and made it halfway across our home state. The floorboards were a little warm, so we stopped in the shade of a giant peppercorn tree so he could fix another empty can around the exhaust pipe, while I stared at a fox tail on the road, the only part left after scavengers had eaten the rest.  "That hole is getting too close to the muffler," he said, "if you can do without a fancy new bed, we won't have to borrow money from Mum and Dad," he said.

So we got the new muffler and exhaust pipe fitted the next day, spent the following day barbecuing in the backyard while most of his siblings dropped in to visit and eat sausages, bacon, chops and vats of potato salad, followed by two entire watermelons. 

The ride home was made in record time, I knew he was stewing a bit about me having hidden money that he could have used for beer and smokes, but he also knew that my savings had meant we were never behind on the utility bills, so he let it go and thanked me for helping out.



Comments

  1. I had the same issue with a car when I was younger & instead of cans, I used part of a hollow fence post & 2 U clamps. I was really broke at the time. Glad you got it fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula C; welcome to drifting. It really needed fixing, the hole was so close to the muffler and in danger of burning through so the pipe would fall off and drag on the ground.

      Delete
  2. Sigh. I do hope that her next savings go to that bedstead. And that it is soon. Great use of the prompts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; the kids came along and savings were used elsewhere for a few years but I eventually got the type of bed I'd wanted. After the divorce, so I had it all to myself.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know what a beechmast was either and you found a clever way to use it. Well he wasn't a very lovable fellow and I hope it didn't take all her savings. Sadly, now he knows she has a stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; He was lovable enough to marry, just thought all money in the house should be his, since he earned it. But the housekeeping money I considered to be mine and I saved enough to keep the bills paid. Happily for me, he never found the hiding places.

      Delete
  4. Creative jury-rigging! Keep saving, lady. Always have a hoard of coins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; I did keep saving and though it's slow going I have an emergency stash.

      Delete
  5. I jiggled the words around.

    Maura knew where Ian would be. Ian was under the beechnut tree, scooping nuts up from the beechmast, where all the ripe ones would lie. Why? Ian did this, investigating the unknown. Ian helped his father repair the muffler, after which Ian took it apart. Maura sighed, thankful that her son was sensible when it safe or not safe. She sighed again.

    From the clothesline, she watched as Ian came running across the field. He carried a heavy bag, one which bulged and wiggled. He dropped it at her feet, his words coming at a race pace. “Looklooklook…” Mom looked down in time to see claws penetrate and rip the bag open. A fox scampered out and across the field.

    A load of beechmast poured out, half a shiny brown and other a vanilla color. Ian suggested, “Let’s cook these with the mash! They could be delicious!” Mom. Sighed. Again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian sounds like a handful, as my #2 Son was.

      Delete
    2. Susan Kane; I agree with messymimi, Ian is a handful, but there is nothing more charming than inquisitive happy children.

      Delete
  6. What is it about them always having money for beer and smokes, but never enough for the things that would help the family most? Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; it has a lot to do with how they are raised, children copy what parents do. They are always watching and learn from what they see.

      Delete
  7. I've had a broken exhaust pipe. Didn't think of Coke cans and U-clamps. They definitely would have lasted longer than the duct tape I tried! To be fair, i was in college, and only needed to get across town without getting a ticket for too much noise! No ticket, but the duct tape didn't even make it a mile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; this was back in the days when coke cans were steel, the newer aluminium ones would be about as good as duct tape. Before the hole got too big, one can would get us from Brisbane to Adelaide and another can would get us home again.

      Delete
  8. Mine. Veggie can for exhaust pipe. Can´t remember with what he fixed it backk then.
    Tea tree oil soap for the hole in the tank.
    Hm. Yes. Must defrost the freezer. Store all food in the Esky, we took both home as here the quality has lower standard - of course, we sadly don´t get your temps.

    Now I´m "home-sick" - great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; veggie cans would work well, they are strong. We never had to worry about a hole in the tank though.
      You will get back here eventually.

      Delete
  9. Good story with all the ingredients to encourage continued reading.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor SE Moubarak; thank you, this one is a true story.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs