Sunday Selections #559

 Long ago, Kim of Frog ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections. 

A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please. 

Nothing rude or vulgar though.

And we don't mind at all if overseas bloggers care to join us.

The meme is now continued by Elephant's Child and I occasionally join in as do a few others. Andrew is one.  Messymimi is another. Drop in to Elephant's Child and have a look.

this rundown house and yard, along with its neighbour, are to be demolished and replaced with>

thirteen Townhouses. The blocks are large, so thirteen isn't such a huge number, although I do wonder how much yard space each will have

this is what they will look like, not sure if they will be two or three stories, but I see balconies and slightly different designs for each one. Better than the "Lego Block" houses I showed a few weeks ago at least.

notice the lump in the unmade bed? Lola. Suffering through one of her headaches and feeling quite warm with it, but refusing to leave the bed and come into the light. She would leave in the dark of night and drink water, so that was okay and by evening of day two I pushed a small bowl of food under the blankets right up to her nose and hoped for the best. She ate. I repeated that twice the next day and the following day she came out on her own as soon as the day had finished and I only had one lamp switched on. So we made it through without a visit to the vet, which is a relief for me, because I just can't carry her anymore. The weight stirs up the old "tennis elbow" which I have on both arms.

hollyhocks everywhere are reaching for the skies

my favourite rose in the neighbour's footpath garden is blooming again

and I noticed this orange one that must have been here all along, but I don't recall seeing it, perhaps it opens to a more yellow shade and I just haven't seen this early colour

neighbours across the road put up some "spooky" spiderweb for Halloween and I saw a few trick-or-treaters going into the yard where it seems goodies were laid out for them. These are the first kids (teenagers) I've seen trick-or treating since I moved here. It isn't commonly done here in Australia

my blog friend Doug recently tried his hand at making pizza. I liked the oblong shape so I copied it, baked in a foil lined pan just as he did it. The foil is brushed with oil to help the pizza base crisp and brown during baking.

the fluffy white bits you see on my pizza are hand torn from a ball of Buffalo Mozzarella, this comes in a sealed tub of brine for about $7, so I won't buy it every time, but I do like it. Other toppings are pineapple, garlic, olives, capsicum, tomato, mushroom and basil. And salami.

here it is ready to eat and while it was baking..

..I heard the girls talking excitedly about something they had seen me unpack from the shopping bag

Marshmallow Santas! Chocolate coated of course. They shared one after dinner.

Finally, I was lucky enough to at last get a great sunset photo, pretty nice eh?



Comments

  1. That pizza looks so yummy. No wonder the girls are all eager for that and the marshmallow Santas. Shouldn't you have marshmallow turkey's instead? Lola makes a pretty good lump. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie; the pizza was delicious and the marshmallow Santas were way too sweet, but I love them. It's a good thing they are only available until Christmas. We don't do turkeys here since we don't do Thanksgiving. Lola is actually a pretty small lump, the rest is bunched up sheet and quilt.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I like the idea of the girls sharing one marshmallow santa after dinner ;) And yellow roses that stay yellow after unfolding is my favourite kind. Thanks for the photos and stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Char;otte; I like yellow roses and my dad did too, his favourite song years ago was "The Yellow Rose of Texas" which I think is about a girl not a flower.

      Delete
    2. The yellow rose of Texas was running through my brain as I wrote my comment, and yes it's about a girl, not a flower, but nonetheless ..

      Delete
  3. This is a fun post and your girls are cute. I am sure they enjoyed their chocolate Santa. Interesting how "progress" often demands more houses on smaller and smaller yards, as more and more people arrive on earth, 7 billion and counting. Good to hear Lola is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra; progress is what is needed if people are to have homes, I just wish they could allow a bit more yard space around them, certainly there won't be room for the trees we need so much.

      Delete
  4. I love seeing spring color from your part of the world while everything is going dormant in mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy G; that's the beauty of living on the other side :)

      Delete
  5. Poor Lola. I use to have migraines so I feel her pain. That pizza looks marvelous. After seeing you and Doug doing so well, I may just have to try as pineapple is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; Lola usually has more migraines, this season has been kind to her. The pollens were finished within a month and heavy winds seem to be keeping the air clear now. I'm thankful too as my own symptoms are lessened.
      I had lots of pineapple on that pizza.

      Delete
  6. Poor little Lola...so sad she has to deal with that....give her my love and many cuddles. Take care, River...have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; this was weeks ago, the same headache I mentioned in your comment section and she hasn't had one since. She is enjoying lots of cuddles though.

      Delete
  7. I thought I had succeeded in commenting but it seems I had not. Trying again for the fourth or fifth time.
    I am so glad that poor Lola's migraines have been relieved.
    Love the yellow roses, and your pizza looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; fourth of fifth time is bordering on ridiculous. and I have no solutions. Lola is doing very well, usually by now she has scratched great swathes of fur off and has weeping raw patches, but not this time. Hopefully never again, fingers crossed.
      The pizza was yummy and even the pieces I froze are long gone.

      Delete
  8. Once Halloween starts there no end to sweets.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; we don't do Halloween here, but the shops are full of Christmas sweets already. I don't buy many as me and one daughter are the only ones with a sweet tooth. I usually have a few marshmallow santas and sometimes I will buy a bag of chocolate covered liqueur cherries, but that's it.

      Delete
    2. I have a large, non-stick, pizza baking 'tray', that has holes in the bottom to spread the heat evenly. It works extremely well, and I recommend them!

      Delete
    3. Cro Magnon; I also have one of those and usually use it but I wanted to try this other method.

      Delete
  9. Oh. Poor Lola!!!!
    I can relate. I had migraine for years. Acupuncture helped me, despite I didn´t believe in it.
    Sorry about you arm, too.
    Beautiful flowers.
    Halloween is not really here, either.

    Pizza! Hmmmmm!!!

    Marshmellow.... not in Germany much.

    WOW to the last pic!!! Awww. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; I had a lot less migraine once I got prescription sunglasses, turns out all the glare was causing a lot of them. I love that last picture too, think I'll get in enlarged and framed.

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes, your sun is "mean", I learned that, too (our UV-index is 0 today!).
      Yes, that pic on the wall must be great. Oh, if I had the space.... so many great pics from around the world! AKA bloggers :-)

      Delete
  10. That is a beautiful sunset photo! Your pizza looks so yummy, the flowers a feast for the eyes.

    May the new buildings add to and enhance the views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I really like the sunset photo too. The pizza was delicious and sadly is all gone now. We'll have to wait and see on the new buildings.

      Delete
  11. So much news and info in this post! I wish the old houses could stay, but what can ya do... The pizzas look lovely and you are NOT missing out on anything by having children bother you at the door and pester you for candy every Halloween, trust me on that one. When I lived in Australia, our teacher said she'd give candy to children who could name two AUSTRALIAN holidays. Easy candy, even I could do that but apparently not every Aussie kid could? Maybe she's asking the toddlers or something. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Elf Mom; sadly many older houses in Adelaide have asbestos or termites or rising damp if they were built early enough before damp proofing, some have all three problems along with faulty wiring and plumbing. Better they get pulled down. Some are still sound and get restored, but mostly, because they are on large blocks of land, developers buy them and put up townhouses or blocks of units.
      I don't care at all about Halloween, children wandering around taking candy from strangers? No.
      I think here in Australia, kids don't get taught all the important holidays, older ones know about Australia Day and Anzac Day, but that's about it. There's Melbourne Cup Day, but that is only a holiday in Victoria where the (horse) race is held.

      Delete
    2. Good for Lola, healing herself. I'm sure you were worried about her. The pizza looks great, but I don't know what capsicum is, and I'd leave off the salami. The sunset photo is poster-worthy. Marshmallow Santas are indeed very sweet, but I enjoy one every year. I get the little ones that come six to a box, individually wrapped, and put them in The Pony's stocking, and a gift box of stocking stuffer stuff that I send Genius. They don't know that I help myself to one!

      Delete
    3. Val; I think I helped with healing Lola by letting her sleep forever in my bed (two days and two nights without moving), then bringing he favourite food to her.
      Capsicum is bell pepper and the salami was a very mild one, cut into tiny strips, barely noticeable.
      Our marshmallow Santas come individually for a dollar each and they are about 3 1/2 inches tall, 2 inches wide and 3/4 of an inch thick. Enough sweetness for a week in just one.

      Delete
  12. I hope Lola continues to heal herself. The pizza is fantastic. I like the oblong ones best. And I'm a sucker for those marshmallow santas. Along with those cream eggs.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW; I hate the cream eggs, but love the Santas. I think oblong pizzas are great for sharing, you can cut equal size squares which are easier to handle I think. I hope Lola continues to be fine too. As long as she doesn't scratch great raw patches into her neck, I'll be happy.

      Delete
  13. Hi River,

    This Halloween thing is spreading here too. There are more and more decorations every year.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plasman; it isn't spreading very wide here, the webs across the road were all I saw this year, apart from the stuff for sale in the shops. I don't mind if it doesn't take off here.

      Delete
  14. We had a frozen pizza in the freezer, took it out, and covered it with mozzarella. It was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; I usually add a lot more than mozzarella to a frozen pizza and they are good, but home made is better.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs