Sunday Selections # 570

 Long ago, Kim of Frog ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections. 

A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please. 

Nothing rude or vulgar though.

And we don't mind at all if overseas bloggers care to join us.

The meme is now continued by Elephant's Child and I occasionally join in as do a few others. Andrew is one.  Messymimi is another. Drop in to Elephant's Child and have a look.

last December's full moon, which looks remarkably like every other full moon photo I have taken.

some weird looking mushrooms (toadstools?) growing around the side of my building, a spot where people rarely go

in the same corner with the mushrooms is this pine tree, the lower limbs are being strangled by ivy growing across from the next yard, which is a private home.

higher in the tree is another 'nest' of ivy.

in this wide and deep pot I have planted five bulbs of what I thought was Peruvian Lily and have since learned it is Caribbean Lily. I allowed them to dry out a bit before planting and hoped they hadn't died, so I recently unearthed one to find spindly new white roots growing, so there's hope for flowers next spring.

I have lost the photos I took of the flowers when they were in the garden down the street, so the next four photos are from Google images:

the bulbs look like this and multiply each year, so eventually you get a whole pot full, which can be carefully divided and replanted after the flowering has finished.

the flowers begin as a central spire of green, with flowers opening from the bottom up

they come in various shades of blue/purple

and there is a white variety available

way back in 2018 (I think) a neighbour gave me a baby Bird's Nest Fern, which didn't appreciate being inside, so I moved it outside where it soon got eaten to death by whatever is out there eating most other things I try to grow. 

My back porch neighbour also was given a baby Bird's Nest Fern:

which now looks like this (her porch gets more shade than my garden, being set back a bit as it is)

and takes up the entire corner of the ramp leading to her porch. The orange/brown frame with shade cloth is the exterior of my closed in back porch.

 she also has this very pretty wind spinner.



Comments

  1. That sure is one fantastic flower I hope they all grow and bud soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; I am hopeful, but will have to wait until next spring at least. I may have planted them too deeply.

      Delete
  2. That is an excellent moon shot. Something I struggle with.
    I do hope that your Peruvian lily (which I am not familar with) grows and flowers. Keep us posted please.
    I like the windspinner too - and so understand about plants and location, location, location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I'd like a different angle to the moon now and then, but that's never going to happen. I'm beginning to suspect I may have planted the bulbs too deeply. That windspinner is a huge one, at least 35cm across.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that ivy is really aggressive. It doesn't need any help where the plants we want are often fussy.
    Love that windspinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; Ivy does like to ramble and take over, this one has been there since before I moved in, ten and a half years ago now. The windspinner is a pretty one. I'd like a couple in my yard, but they'd have to be tall enough to catch the wind.

      Delete
  4. Did you take the moon shot through a telescope?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike; no, I took it with my camera which has a 50x zoom. I had to set up the tripod this time, because my hands are getting unsteady.

      Delete
  5. Good morning, River. I'm not sure if I've seen a Caribbean Lily in reality...not that I'm aware of, anyway. They are very pretty. That's a fun, pretty wind spinner.

    I hope you have a good week ahead...take care...cuddles to the lovely Lady Lola from me., and miaows from Remy and Shama. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; perhaps you could look up Caribbean Lily online and see if you can order one. Windspinners are fun and some are prettier than others. I know of a place in the hills that sells large metal ones in different shapes and colours.
      The lovely Lady Lola is hiding under the bed again, I know I should get her back to the vet, but she is still eating and drinking for now, so I am playing the 'wait and see' game.

      Delete
  6. I don't know how you manage such good moon photos. I've only ever taken one good moon photo and that was by using a small tripod.
    Your neighbour's birds nest looks so fresh and healthy. I'm sure yours will get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; you have to get the moon before it is too high in the sky, horizon shots are the best, but I can never get those. I used my tripod this time as my hands are getting unsteady. I don't see or feel them shaking, but the image on the screen is never still. I still manage shots of other things though.

      Delete
    2. Andrew; My bird's nest fern died, eaten alive by critters in the yard. I should have brought it back in right away :(

      Delete
  7. That Caribbean lily is a lovely plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne; it is, but messy when the flowering is over and the leaves die down. That's when you put other things around it to make the area look better.

      Delete
  8. Ivy is one of those things i will never plant on purpose, it just explodes and takes over and you spend the rest of your life trying to get it gone. This i learned from Mr. BA's garden.

    Good luck with those bulbs, i do hope they survive and thrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I will never plant ivy either. I hope the bulbs survive, the thriving can come later.

      Delete
  9. I put wind spinner out in the summer time.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; I have a small one in my garden, but it doesn't catch the breeze so it doesn't spin. I need to get bigger ones.

      Delete
  10. I like those mushroom/toadstools for a change of pace. Interesting texture. Not all things that grow are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I liked them too and wondered if they were the edible kind or the "magic" kind

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs