Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by C.Lee McKenzie and can be found here

Next month the prompts will be by me (River) right here on this blog 

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. enchanted 

2. lavish 

3. scurrying 

4. bouquet 

5. smash 

6. anyway 

and/or: 

1. champagne 

2. caviar 

3. candlelight 

4. heart shaped 

5. flee 

6. excitement

Here is my continuing story:

“I’d love to hear this idea,” I said with a little excitement in my voice, “Khoral always seems to have good ones.” “I’ll tell you over dinner,” said Terry, “what are we having? Or do you want me to cook? I have an idea for..” I stopped him right there with a finger over his lips. “I’ve had enough surprise foods for a while,” I said. “Tonight I’ve defrosted one of the steak and kidney pies I made last month and we’re having that with vegetables. Just regular vegetables. With apple pie for dessert.”

“Sounds wonderful,” said Terry. ‘Do we have cream for the apple pie?”  “We do,” I said. “Better than champagne and caviar,” said Terry, giving me a hug. “I’ll go and set the table, but before I start, I heard some noises down at the houseboat as I came in, door slamming and plate smashing by the sound of it. I’ll tell you what Sergeant Bennett said about those two before I tell you Khoral’s idea.” I handed him the plates and silverware and followed him into the small dining room. “Okay, give me the bad news.”

Terry set out the plates and silverware, then said, “Remember Ben Falls who had the houseboat and then disappeared when his time was up? I’m glad he paid upfront for his full week! Anyway, he’s wanted by the Police up north, something about break-ins and robberies, they say a three person gang has been breaking into homes and a jewellery store or two and plenty of diamonds and other jewellery has gone missing. There’s video footage from one of the stores showing three shadowy figures and another video footage from a huge fancy mansion which shows more clearly two men and a woman scurrying down the driveway. Ben has been in prison before, so he's the main target, but it may be Aiden and Cynthia who are the other two.”

“Oh I don’t like the sound of this at all,” I said. “Criminals using our houseboat?” “Don’t worry too much Molly, Sergeant Bennett is looking into it and as long as we don’t go making accusations and stirring things up, we should be alright. But we are going to have to talk with them about the noises I heard tonight.” We went back to the kitchen and Terry took glasses and a bottle of wine from the fridge while I got the steak and kidney pie from the oven. The vegetables were ready to serve so I cut slices into the pie then placed the dish on top of the tureen holding the vegetables and took the lot to the table. We each served ourselves, the Terry told me a little about Khoral’s idea.

“He’d like to make it a really lavish affair, with pink lightbulbs in the ceiling fittings, to make the room even more enchanted, then one of the tiny heart-shaped boxes with just a few strawberry creams in each to go on every table. They’re coated in dark chocolate and he has some left over from the nursing home. It seems he bought too many, but maybe he did that on purpose.” “It sounds wonderful, but who is going up on a ladder to change the light bulbs?” “Khoral said his friend Eric will do that part. So the pink lights, the candlelight, the chocolates, and those little bouquets of red roses you always put out will make the evening extra special. AND,” with a nod and a wink,” he has the idea of taking a photograph of each couple at their table, so they have a memory to take home.” “I had that same idea while you were out! The photographs I mean, not the pink lights.”



Comments

  1. I knew I didn't like those two. Hope Sargent Bennett can find enough to make an arrest before they tear up the houseboat.
    Khoral does have some great ideas for an alien. He has learned what it takes to plan a lovely evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; those two get what is coming to them. Khoral does have some great ideas.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a memorable evening for the guests, and Aiden and Cynthia might also have a (not-as-pleasant) memorable experience coming up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I think the evening will be delightful, but not for Aiden and Cynthia.

      Delete
  3. Khoral has really gone native - I like that. And I hope that the good sergeant Bennett will nail those two or maybe three scoundrels. You tell an enticing story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; thank you. I'm liking the way this story is going. I think there might be a problem locating Ben, the original scoundrel.

      Delete
  4. If the party can go off without those two criminals interfering, and they get their just deserts, well it may be a wild ride but it should end well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I'm aiming for happy endings, but there's more to come yet.

      Delete
  5. Apple die sound good.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; I love apple pie and haven't had one in many years now. Maybe this coming winter I will make some.

      Delete
  6. Creepy indeed. When we looked for a new apartment one was directly opposite the Braunschweig prison. I said "no".
    Stupid, but... sitting on the balcony and watching them? Or, if one frees himself.... where would he go, my place?! Ingo not home?! Flippy I would be at night.

    I would go to a hotel with the weirdos so close by in the houseboat.

    Khoral is so sweet, maybe buying too many on purpose, awwww...

    But... who thinks of the salty guys? At Volkswagen my boss for her birthday came with sweet cake. And Pizza muffins for me - it was too "sweet" of a gesture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; the houseboat isn't too close to the Bed and Breakfast cottage. I wouldn't live across from a prison either. There are other options for those who don't like chocolate, but this is a Valentines Dinner and most people don't mind a bit of sweet on that day. even if they don't eat it themselves, it just adds to the romance of the day.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Victor SE Moubarak; it does seem to be heading that way. I just need about 40,000 more words.

      Delete
  8. Nice job, as always. Since I've been scarce on blogger for so long, I can honestly say that I see an improvement in your writing since when you first started doing these weekly Wednesday's words posts. Everything flows beautifully, and your dialog sounds natural. And as always, you managed to fit the chosen words into your work seamlessly, too. Nothing feels the least bit forced. Bravo! Have a super weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan; thank you so much, coming from an author this means a lot to me. This is the 14th story I've done featuring Khoral Kai and if I can work out a connecting chapter between a couple of them, I might just have a book in the making.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs