Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by C.Lee Mckenzie and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. realise 

2. sticky 

3. chocolate-covered 

4. wrapped 

5. doorbell 

6. delight 

and/or: 

1. flummoxed 

2. diet 

3. stuffed 

4. inspected 

5. heart-shaped 

6. box

here is my story: (continued from last week)

We didn’t give much thought to Terry and Cynthia for the rest of the day. Valentine’s Day was coming up and the Cottage bedrooms in the adjoining wing were fully booked. We had to put in orders for the individually wrapped chocolate-covered cherries that were put on the pillows instead of the usual mints, the mini heart-shaped cakes with strawberry pink icing, that were passed out with every dessert order, (we gave them to those who didn’t order dessert too), and the pretty pink boxes for those that wanted to save their cake for later.

In years past, we had changed the dining room décor too, but this year I had decided to just use pink candles and pink serviettes at the tables, along with red roses in bud vases. The tablecloths were white, so they’d do, but changing the curtains was a bit too much now that Terry and I were both getting older. Neither of us fancied being up on ladders trying to balance the curtain rods with the weight of curtains added. We stood in the small hallway and inspected the contents of the linen cupboard. Terry looked at the stack of pink napkins, “Do you think we have enough of them?” He raised his eyebrows and tilted his head towards the shelf which I could plainly see was stuffed full of pink cloths.

I elbowed him gently in the ribs with a “Ha Ha, Mister” and closed the door. I had been guilty of buying new ones every year for quite some time. “Remember a couple of years ago when we were shopping for pink napkins and little pink boxes and we met with Khoral coming out of the mid street bakery?” “I do,” said Terry. “He asked about all the pink and we tried to explain Valentine’s Day to him, he was pretty flummoxed about the whole thing.” “But he loves it now,” I said. “He orders pink heart shaped cakes and boxes of chocolates for the old people in the nursing home, then he takes them there personally to make sure everyone gets chocolates and he stays to help serve the cakes at afternoon tea.” “He still talks to Old Pete about the lighthouse too, asks about all the things Pete saw and did during the years he lived there.”

I headed to the kitchen to begin the dinner preparations, while Terry checked the batteries in the doorbell. “We really should hire an electrician and get this thing wired in,” he said. “Batteries are becoming expensive. What are you cooking for dinner?” “Stir-fried vegetables and sticky rice, I found the recipe in a magazine at the hairdresser and copied it down while I was under the dryer.” “Sounds good,” he said, “and probably better than my last few experimental failures. I don’t know what possessed me to put beetroot in the mashed potato that one time.” When I didn’t answer he came to the kitchen where I was staring through the window. “What are you looking at?” he asked. “Aiden and Cynthia seem to be having quite the argument,” I replied. “She has just tossed his open suitcase off the houseboat and luckily it landed on the grassy edge, not in the water.”

Terry frowned a little with just a “hmmm” in reply. Then, “I realise we need the money, but I think we should keep an eye on things down there. If we have to move them on and refund the money, we might not get another booking on it this season, but how did they know the houseboat was empty anyway?” “Perhaps they know Ben, the previous tenant,” I said. “He wasn’t exactly a delight either,” said Terry. “I’m having one of my funny feelings now. I think I’ll stop by the Police Station tomorrow and have a quick word with Sergeant Bennett. If anything blows up, he might have background information for us.”


Comments

  1. And the tension continues to mount. Sadly it seems as if stopping in at the Police Station is an excellent idea. I do hope that the words next week allow this story to continue...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I'll do my best to work them in, but if they take me in a different direction, we'll just have to live with that.

      Delete
    2. I'd like to find out what happens. Hope you can use next week's words to add to the tale.

      Delete
    3. cleemckenzie; I'll see what I can do.

      Delete
  2. Maybe you work your Amazon scam call into this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep liking Cynthia less and less and Khoral more and more. He sure gives Aliens a good name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; Cynthia is bad news. Khoral is delightful, he comes from a peaceful planet.

      Delete
  4. Uh-oh. The suspense is mounting. That was one good chapter and I enjpoyed every word of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; thank you, I hope I can work out the scrambled thought in my brain. I have vague ideas where I want this to go.

      Delete
  5. I began to realise I was in a sticky situation when I noticed a chocolate-covered grenade wrapped in clingfilm had been attached loosely to our doorbell. With great delight I flung it over the garden wall where it exploded, killing our neighbour's Alsatian dog instantly and bringing almost three years of constant barking to a sudden end. Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dog that barks day and night is a neglected animal that needs a better owner. It makes me very sad for the dog and angry with the owners.

      Delete
    2. Yorkshire Pudding; very nice effort, but sorry the dog had to die. Perhaps you could also copy it to C.Lee Mackenzie's blog? as she is providing the prompts this month.

      messymimi; agreed

      Delete

    3. Flummoxed by the noise of the explosion, our neighbour Frank came out to see what had happened. He is pretty obese and is meant to be on a strict diet but he still gets completely stuffed at mealtimes. He inspected the remains of Tyson, his barking mutt. Then Frank made a heart-shaped sign with his index fingers and thumbs before putting the dead dog in an Amazon box. It was the same cardboard box in which his new drum kit had been delivered on Monday.

      Delete
    4. Yorkshire Pudding; poor Tyson. I take it Frank has not made the connection between the explosion and the noise from his drum kit?

      Delete
  6. Your stories leave me wanting more.

    My hope is Cynthia is stopped before she does anything too horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymim; Cynthia is already in the trouble she brought with her, but be assured she is not going to be killing people.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Dora; I love chocolate. I hope you get some for Valentine's Day.

      Delete
  8. Good writing, River. Well done.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor SE Moubarak; thank you. I hope next week's words bring another chapter.

      Delete
  9. Khoral ... owwww, you gave me the BIGGEST smile!
    Hmmm, "beetroot in the mashed potato"... you´re on the way to Labskaus, a fisherman´s dish! Add corned beef, a fried egg, pickled gherkin, and, if you´re brave, Rollmops.

    Looking forward to learn about those weird tennants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; all of that mixed together sounds terrible to me.

      Delete
  10. Yes, at least one of those two is up to no good! Withhold their chocolates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; they are both up to no good! They certainly don't deserve chocolates.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs