Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by C.Lee Mckenzie and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. gift 

2. surprise 

3. stubborn 

4. laughter 

5. generous 

6. flowers 

and/or: 

1. yesterday 

2. lovely 

3. sprinkled 

4. February 

5. husband 

6. marriage

here is my continuing story:

Terry left right after breakfast to see Sergeant Bennet and also to pick up my order of new pink candles for the Valentine’s Day tables, while I cleaned the kitchen, then took a stack of clean sheets and towels down to the houseboat. I was about to knock when I heard a thump followed by a stream of vicious curses. I decided to knock anyway, I had to deliver the clean linens and collect the used ones, and maybe Cynthia had hurt herself and needed help? It had been her voice and I briefly wondered how such words could come from such a pretty face. Perhaps her character doesn’t match her looks, I thought. It often happens.

Cynthia yanked the door open with a snarled “What now?” then realized I wasn’t who she might have been expecting. I explained about the linens and she quickly replied they preferred to do for themselves and she would carry up the used linens later, if that was alright with me. I said it was and left her to it; having glimpsed the mess already made inside the door, I was glad I didn’t have to go in there.

With two days still to go before Valentine’s Day, I took this ‘home alone’ opportunity to work on the surprise gift I was planning for Terry. I had been gathering postcards from the places we had visited on our honeymoon along with any photos of ourselves at those places and was arranging them in a big red leather album. While doing this, I had a brainwave idea. Why not take photos of the happy couples at our tables on the day and send them home with a lovely reminder of their time here. I could include postcards of the village too.

I thought back to yesterday and wondered if Cynthia and Aiden would come to the main dining room for the Valentine’s dinner. Were they even a couple? Did they celebrate Valentine’s Day at all? I knew some people don’t bother, some just give flowers or chocolates and the really romantic ones go all out, just as Terry had all those years ago. We had met a few weeks before Christmas and by February, he had declared his love and proposed to me. “I want to live the rest of my life as your Husband,” he’d said. Naturally, I agreed, I loved him just as much and the marriage had taken place a few weeks before Christmas on the same date we had met the year before.

The years since had been filled with laughter, mostly, there’d been a few downs to counter the ups, both of us were stubborn about certain things, but very few tears had been sprinkled since getting over the hiccups of those first few months. I thought back to our first fight; why we had fought was lost in the mists of time, but I remembered with pleasure the generous bunch of flowers he’d brought me the next day. I heard Terry whistling as he came along the path to home and quickly bundled away the album and hid it under a stack of blankets in the linen closet. “Guess who I invited for Valentine’s Dinner?” he said with a huge smile. “The Easter Bunny?” I asked. “Couldn’t find him,” he said, “but I did find Khoral and I invited him along. We have an idea.”


Comments

  1. Brainwave inviting Khoral for Valentines dinner. This is really growing into a story. I like it very much and I'm sorry I have to wait a whole week for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; I'm interested in what Terry and Khoral's idea might be. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. This is lovely - and her Valentine's Day gift sounds perfect. A gift to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you. Definitely a gift to treasure.

      Delete
  3. Maybe if Cynthia and Aiden do come to dinner, perhaps Khoral can work some magic on them and make them more likable and even tempered. Looking forward to how this turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; Cynthia and Aiden can't be saved, they're in deep trouble of their own making. I think the dinner is going to be interesting.

      Delete
  4. Not sure what going on for Valentine day.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; nothing going on here for Valentine's day, but plenty happening in my story.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a good time, and maybe some adventure, is brewing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful episode again! I´m really looking forward to find out about the boat couple and what Khoral has in mind for the day!
    Great idea with the album, too.
    Hmmm I´d like to copy that, in a blog post, like "Best Ofs" or such.
    That´s all how we can travel these days after all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; I'm wondering what Khoral has in mind too.
      What exactly would you be copying?

      Delete
    2. One pic of each holiday with Ingo - sounds like a Valentine´s gift, right?

      Delete
  7. Ah ... Valentine Day. What will happen then?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor SE Moubarak; who knows? we'll have to wait and see.

      Delete
  8. I think it's going to be an interesting Valentine's Dinner!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs