Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by River (that's me) and can be found right here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. stupefied 

2. collector 

3. arrange 

4. reflections 

5. fashion 

6. slate 

and/or: 

1. hesitate 

2. adjusted 

3. hat 

4. segment 

5. coffeemaker 

6. dessert

Here is my story: 

(this chapter is a little out of place, I haven't yet found a way to connect it)

As we washed up the dishes after our apple pie dessert, we heard even more noises coming from the houseboat. The wind was in the right direction to carry sounds all the way to us and I stood for a moment, up to my elbows in suds, stupefied at the screaming and swearing I was hearing. Something was seriously wrong down there! Terry offered to go and see, but I urged him to hesitate, think it through and call Sergeant Bennett first. He did so and I think we were both relieved to hear he would soon be there and with another constable too. Terry adjusted the water level in the coffeemaker and added fresh ground beans, but didn’t turn it on. We wanted to be there when Sergeant Raymond Bennett questioned the goings on between Aiden and Cynthia. 

I took a few minutes to arrange cups and saucers, sugar bowl and cake plates, then joined Terry at the front door. He could feel me shaking and wrapped his big strong arms around me. “Sarge will be here soon Molly,” he said. “Try not to worry too much. Look instead at the segment of moon making reflections in the river, see how they ripple as the wind blows across?” I thanked his romantic soul with a quick kiss on his cheek then we both turned towards the path where we could hear the Police Cruiser coming. Constable George Anderson was driving and parked neatly right near the front door. They stepped out of the vehicle, each placing a hat upon their heads as they walked towards us. “Will you be coming with us to the houseboat or would you prefer to stay here?” asked Sergeant Bennett.  “I’ll come down,” said Terry. “Molly would prefer to stay here to call for extra help if necessary, right Moll?” “Yes, of course,” I said.

Terry took his jacket off the hook and zipped it up as he followed Ray and George down the slope to the water’s edge. The plank to the deck was still in place and they crossed carefully in the dark and then I heard the loud knocking on the houseboat door. Instantly, there was silence inside. I saw the door open just a crack and Aiden’s head poked out. I couldn’t hear the conversation since they were no longer shouting, but Terry told me how it went. “Good evening officer, what can I help you with?” said Aiden. “I’m here to investigate a disturbance of the peace, a complaint has been made of loud swearing, very loud I might add, and crashing of crockery has also been heard. You need to step back and allow us in son,” said Ray. “It’s a bit of a mess I’m afraid,” said Aiden, “Cyn isn’t used to boats and the rocking on the water.” 

Terry then told me how horrified they all had been at the shambles that was once our pride and joy. Not only the broken dishes, but the fixed seating had been torn away from the sides and the covers ripped off, as well as scrapes and dents in all the paintwork we had paid so much for. Clearly a very thorough search had taken place, which fitted in with my earlier memory of Cynthia screaming “It isn’t here!” Terry said Cynthia had been sitting on one of the bar stools bolted to the floor and jumped up in a panic as Ray told them they were under arrest for destruction of private property, then began crying as both she and Aiden were handcuffed and brought out onto the deck.

The clouds chose that moment to cover the new moon, so I didn’t see them being led up the slope until they were almost at the house. Aiden looked angry, and Cynthia looked fearful at what might be going to happen. They were both locked into the back of the Police Cruiser, with George left to watch them while Ray came inside. He declined the offer of fresh coffee, I had turned on the coffeemaker as soon as they were all on deck, but said he would come back tomorrow and fill us in. He had amassed a fair sized file on both Aiden and Cynthia who was apparently using a false name and he hoped a night in the cells might make them decide to talk. “We need to find out how much they know about Ben Falls, the robbery and where they think he might be. Recovering the diamonds would be helpful too.”


Comments

  1. I am so glad you are continuing this story. Very happy that they called the law to investigate. Just awful what they did to the houseboat but glad no one was physically hurt. Hope they have insurance. At least they are rid of those dreadful tenants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; they do have insurance, but there is more to come with the tenants.

      Delete
  2. Good job with the story and great prompts you provided us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After getting liquid dessert from the coffeemaker, he adjusted his hat and didn't hesitate to head off to Segment to get some work done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this chapter, and I think you do not miss much action for it to fit into your storyline. I so hope for a happy ending with solutions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good writing using the words! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The poor houseboat, i feel badly that it's so damaged. My hope is they end up having to make restitution and pay for the repairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; only the interior is damaged, but I hope they have to pay for repairs too.

      Delete
  7. constable isn't term us American use often.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; yes, it's more English, like most Australians use.

      Delete
  8. Oh, boy, this left me sad.
    2019 we could not get our cabin in Madeley just because of something like this.
    We´d bought a new TV antenna 2017, cleaned the aircon and a woman with a very young child destroyed even the fridge. They were forced out by police (I´d booked this cabin a year in advance) but we stayed in the cabin we got instead, mainly due to the icky fridge. The management was new and they... had their troubles.
    No idea if we will return to that place it gets run down every time we come back...

    Why do people behave like this?
    I hope the diamonds get recovered at least and the boat restored!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; I'm sorry you had to experience that. Sadly, places do get run down over time and there are people who don't care about looking after places they stay in. maybe look for somewhere new when you eventually come back.
      The houseboat does get repaired, but I don't know yet about the diamonds.

      Delete
    2. The boat is priority #1 :-)
      I think if or when... we will still try to go back there.
      Hillary´s sounds tempting, but, wee ... I´d need to marry a millionaire who accepts Ingo at my side, LOL. Then I could invite you, too, sounds good, huh?
      But, eek, no. Just Ingo. Maybe we meet some day somewhere?

      Delete
  9. Bill did not hesitate to adjust to this new segment of his life. Joining the Church Ladies potluck was a huge leap for him. When he appeared in the church kitchen with a professional chef hat, there were smirks all around. When he created a dessert to die for, the smirks stopped. One lady started up the coffeemaker and others placed plates and such. Ben was now the elite Church Ladies Chef. It had been a long journey that started in McDonald’s and now reached St. James Catholic Church. Life was good.

    Becoming a professional chef with great credentials was Bill's desire for his entire life. I would love to try that dessert. I bet that it would be luscious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; I love it! it's amazing how dessert can bring people together. I'm sure the Church Ladies are very glad to have Bill cooking for them.

      Delete
  10. Just desserts for those ne'er-do-wells. I hope they had an uncomfortable night in jail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I'm sure their night was very uncomfortable, jails don't come with room service or even TVs, and of course they were in adjoining cells arguing all night.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs