Sunday Selections # 576

 


Long ago, Kim of Frog ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections. 

A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please. 

Nothing rude or vulgar though.

And we don't mind at all if overseas bloggers care to join us.

The meme is now continued by Elephant's Child and I occasionally join in as do a few others. Andrew is one.  Messymimi is another. Drop in to them and have a look.

Elephant's Child is currently taking a break, so I won't link to her.
 
let's begin:


I met a magpie wandering around in my garden


the caribbean lily bulbs I rescued are growing, not all of them, but three of the original five have survived


bird's eye view. Another three I found thrown away in a yard near mine ( I gave them to a neighbour who must have tossed them), also got planted just last weekend and one of them is showing green shoots already, after I expected them to just die, they were so dried out and falling apart.


just to remind you, this googled image is what the flowers will look like, they open from the bottom of the yellow spire and continue upwards


the magpie wasn't at all fazed by me wandering around


I have a new statue, it was being thrown out so I rescued it, she has a cat on her shoulder and a broken arm


this one is not easy to see, I took it through my screen door, the magpie came to the porch for a bath, he had a wonderful time splashing in the bowl.


This owl is one of four pots I found stacked on the roadside for whoever might want them, he needed colour


so I painted him pink, this is the second coat, he has had two more since  and is looking fine.


I bought two teeny tiny pale pink t-shirts for my yet-to-be-born twin grand daughters


and candles for hope for Ukraine, that's a little concrete block they are sitting on, no chance of any heat setting my furniture on fire.


this is the workspace where all the blog magic happens. It's also where I eat, read and sometimes fall asleep in my chair

Comments

  1. I had an old ford pick up truck that I named magpie. she was black and white and from Wyoming where magpies steal picnics. I've always been fond of magpies and their nerve! Your workspace is a small footprint- good for you. Love the rescues, too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda Sue; the rescues are showing really strong growth now. my workspace has to be small, the whole room is small and the other side where you can't see is two big recliner chairs and the TV, plus the dvd shelves. I have to push my computer chair out of the way so I can push my recliner back so I'm not too close to the TV.

      Delete
  2. How I love your rescues. All of them. The t-shirts are lovely, and I have a very soft spot for magpies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; lovely to see you, hope you are feeling better. I love magpies too. I'm so pleased with the rescues, I noticed this morning that two more of the ones I thought dead are also showing tiny green shoots. When they have all multiplied sufficiently a few years from now, I'll be able to share bulbs.

      Delete
  3. Can't believe all the throw aways. Great recycles. As for the statue it has one more arm than Venus De Milo and look how well she has done? Love the cat on her shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; throw aways are few and far between, but when I find them there is usually good stuff worth taking home. I had to steady that statue with a couple of rocks as my ground is quite uneven out there.

      Delete
  4. Oh, an owl! I would of course have painted it blue.
    I love that your rescued flowers are growing. And they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; I thought of painting him blue, but the can of pink was almost full and the blue almost empty, so pink he is. Maybe he is a she anyway.

      Delete
  5. I love magpies. My family of maggies serenade me at various intervals throughout the day. They gather at my screen door and sing their merry tunes to me. One of them in particular is huge...the leader of the pack, no doubt. Every afternoon I always have a chat with them when I giving them the meat scraps from when I've cut up Remy and Shama's dinner ...the maggies, kookas and butcher birds...The birds keep me in their sights every time I go outside. They have their sentries posted. The magpies would never swoop on me...they know I'm their friend...their best friend. 🙂I know I've mentioned all of this before. :)

    Have a good week ahead...take care...cuddles to the lovely Lady Lola. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; I hear magpies singing every day now and I love the sound. I talk to them, but they don't come for mealworms anymore. Perhaps they will in winter and spring. I haven't been swooped since I was a child. The lovely Lady Lola is scratching again, leaving blood on my sheets, so another trip to the vet will be happening as soon as I can catch her. She has a new hiding spot and I haven't found it yet.

      Delete
  6. Not with plants but I had a similar experience of giving something to someone and later I found it thrown away. People might not want something but could at least get rid of it discreetly.

    A sling or plaster is not going to mend that woman's arm.

    I like the owl and your workplace looks functional.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; I make sure to get rid of unwanted gifts far away from the giver, but usually these days if I don't want something offered I will say no thanks. A little plaster of paris or some tile adhesive might fix the broken arm on the statue, but the colour won't match, so I think I'll just leave her as is. I like functional, it's a good word.

      Delete
  7. We don't have magpies so i always enjoy when you post photos of them.

    You have a deft touch with plants, my black thumb salutes you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; thank you, my black thumbs seem to be taking a break. Magpies and crows are my favourite birds, and we have the sulphur crested cockatoos back in this area now. The rainbow lorikeets were here about ten days ago, I could hear them in the flowering trees, but they have moved on now.

      Delete
  8. Your magpie looks larger than we have here.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your work space is much too neat. It needs much more miscellaneous stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There seems to be many magpies at the moment in our garden. I like your owl pot.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh, I miss magpies.
    Wow, you do have a green thumb! A beautiful statue, glad those two found a new home with you.
    Sweet owl. And ohhh, twins to come!
    To Ukraine, if it is like that, they are in our hearts.

    Oh. A laptop! I could not work like that! I have an old fashioned PC with two big monitors.
    Only when in Perth I have to get it all done with a laptop, a "pain", LOL... I´m old!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That first picture looks like an impressive specimen of a magpie! We don't have them around here. I like the bird's-eye view of your lily bulb. The tiny shirts for your future twin granddaughters are sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the fresh, new green of sprouting plants. Yours look like they will do well.

    And I love that statue with the cat and woman! And what Patti said about the statue of Venus de Milo doing all right with one less arm than your statue :)

    When are the twins due? The shirts are sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs