Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Lissa and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. wonderland 2. squander 3. brisk 4. postcards 5. wait 6. stall 7. leftover

Also including Charlotte's colour of the month which is 'white'

This week's story is a further chapter to Tom's story which I began almost six years ago now in April 2017. when I last left that story, winter was setting in, this chapter is several months ahead in early summer.

Here is my story:

It was early summer and the tourist season was once again in full swing at Shark Cove. The Post Office/Marketplace was doing brisk business with the sales and mailings of postcards and other souvenirs. The trees lining the streets were in full bloom with the scent of white lilac everywhere. Happy faces were everywhere, with many exclaiming over the whiteness of the sandy beach and the almost turquoise water. The carnival people were once again in town and had set up their Fairground with stalls, rides and a Ferris Wheel in the field behind the Marketplace.

Bernice had come down from her mountain hideaway for bit of excitement. “It’s like Wonderland,” she said to no one in particular, “I’ve missed this.” Bernice hadn’t visited the fairground in many years, only ever sneaking quickly in and out of town for necessities when she needed them. She had become braver lately, after several visits from Detective Inspector Grace and his lovely partner Irene Fargo. Sometimes Bernice couldn’t quite remember why they were there, searching for someone from long ago, she knew that much and when her mind cleared she could put pieces together, especially when she saw or heard something that jogged her memory.

Today was one of those days. In the crowds of families one voice boomed out and made Bernice shudder. “Now kids, take care. Don’t squander your money on silly trinkets you could just as easily buy at home for a cheaper price.” She glanced around quickly and saw him. It had been months since she’d spotted him and his crooked nose at his illegal campfire up on the other side of the mountain, he was standing right behind the booming voice man. Bernice turned away quickly and decided she’d had enough of the Fairground. Now she just wanted to get home as quickly as possible.

Tom had also been at the fairground, with his camera taking as many photos as he could. He had asked Bill Money, the Postmaster, if the fair was open at night and planned to come back after sunset for night photos. He turned away from the Ferris Wheel and noticed Bernice scurrying past, he’d heard of her from DI Grace and snapped a shot of her as she pulled a scarf over her head trying to hide her face. “She looks like she’s seen a ghost,” Tom thought. He backed away and began taking random photos of the crowds. “I’ll show these to DI Grace as well as to Ed and Sara, maybe Stephanie too if she is calm enough. Maybe they can see someone that Bernice is frightened of. I’d like to ask Bernice herself but I’m not sure if she would speak to me. I’ll have to wait and see if maybe DI Grace can take me to see her”

Leaving the Fairground and making his way up the goat track to the Scenic Retreat Tom hoped there would still be some apple pie leftover from last night’s dinner. Lindsay Bingham, he of the broken nose, was also leaving the Fairground, but in the opposite direction and hadn’t seen either Bernice or Tom. 


Comments

  1. I posted this on Lissa's site...
    After a brisk walk to the wonderland of the public bathroom, I had to wait for a stall only to find some leftover debris and TP the consistency of postcards that no one was going to squander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Succinct as always, and my Sweetie calls that "John Wayne" toilet paper -- rides rough in the saddle and won't take crap off of anyone.

      Delete
    2. Mike; I love it and it speaks of public restrooms almost everywhere.

      Delete
    3. this says so much, so well. Everyone can identify with this experience.

      Delete
  2. That is something I´m afraid of. I have problems remembering faces - and to top that, names, too.
    Or to get dementia, or worse, Alzheimer´s... A fair would be fun, though - come Spring over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; I remember faces easier than names. I once called my best friend Shirley for months, but her name was Joan. She eventually told me and also said she liked Shirley better.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the laugh!!! Oh, my!! oh!!! That is like my tenant. She calls me Mrs. K or Mrs Flavia at times, depends on... I go well with both ;-)

      Delete
  3. You set the scene well, i'm going to have to go back and try to find the previous stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; they are lost in time, way back in the archives and spread throughout the Wednesdays since 2017.

      Delete
  4. We woke up to a white wonderland of crisp snow. It was an opportunity we did not wish to squander so we prepared to venture outside for a brisk winter walk. Besides, I had some postcards that could not wait a day longer to be pushed into the postbox near the end of our lane where local growers operate a fruit stall in late summertime to offload leftover fruit - strawberries, plums, peaches and the like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; thank you for playing, this is a lovely little piece.

      Delete
    2. We get snow so rarely here we don't squander it, either. This is a very good use of the prompts.

      Delete
  5. I had to go back and skim the story of Tom before I continued, but this fits very well, and I hope you're going to coninue the story to it's end this time around. Talking of stones and glasshouses here -- I think I began my Susan story only shortly after you began writing about Tom :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; I would like to get it finished but there's a lot of chapters that don't tie together yet. I'm going to have to type it out again from the beginning, to get a word count, and to add pieces to tie in, then I have to find a way to finish it. Dr Bruce Jones needs his comeuppance.

      Delete
  6. Your creative mind always churns out a great story for WFW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing good can come of a crooked-nosed man at an illegal campfire! Good for Bernice, avoiding that character at the carnival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; Bernice knows that man better than she remembers, her memory was fine for a long time, but pretending to be a crazy woman has had its effect.

      Delete
  8. Is the crooked-nose man Lindsay Bingham or does broken nose not mean crooked-nose? Good use of the prompts.

    Have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lissa; yes, he is Lindsay Bingham, he has had his nose broken a couple of times so the crookedness is memorable.

      Delete
  9. excellent story! It grabbed me from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; thank you. The beginning is actually way back in 2017.

      Delete
  10. I agree with MessyMimi. You have really piqued my curiosity to recover the previous tales. I can't find them in my brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie; I think they might still be in my sidebar, click on the "menu" strips and scroll right to the very bottom, but not all of the chapters are there, I haven't updated for a long time.

      Delete
    2. They are listed under the "words for Wednesday stories" and there are only about 24 chapters there and I have mistakenly labelled chapter eighteen as chapter seventeen (*~*)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs