Sunday Selections # 664

 Long ago, Kim of Frog ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections. 

A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please. 

Nothing rude or vulgar though.

And we don't mind at all if other bloggers care to join us.

The meme is now continued by Elephant's Child and I join in as do a few others. Andrew is one.  Messymimi is another. Drop in to their blogs and have a look.

Wisewebwoman has also occasionally been joining us.

a few too many today, but I don't think you'll mind, get a cuppa and settle into your favourite chair:

a few knick-knacks you have't seen yet:

a lion and his cub, when I ordered this I forgot to check the dimensions and he is quite a bit larger than I expected, 23cm x 14cm, that's 9 inches long and 5 1/2 inches high

a "good luck" troll I bought way back in 1987-8, he used to have a tiny green shirt instead of the blue bow but I don't remember what happened to it.

another dragon, this one with a day-of-the-dead skull surrounded by five tiny hand-made skulls sent to me many years ago  by the originator of Sunday Selections, Kim. She does lovely ceramic works.

you can see by the indentations this dragon is meant to be an ashtray, but I don't smoke.

November in South Australia is Jacaranda time, the streets are lined with purple blossoming trees and the footpaths are carpeted with fallen flowers which get mushy when it rains and they stick to the treads of sneakers and can be slippery under smooth soled shoes.

this pretty pink is a "Gaura", also called a butterfly bush, I think because the blooms are on long thin stems which dance around in the slightest breeze so the flowers flutter

this is on the same bush as the white ones below and is probably a result of cross-pollination by bees between the pink bush and the white

here are the white flowers, the two bushes are planted side by side.

further down the road and around the corner are several fences covered in roses which got badly sunburned 

on a really hot dry day recently, but just across the road, on the shady side of the street

are hollyhocks blooming happily in pinks

and whites

darker pinks

and paler pinks

closer to home a small stand of Coreopsis is cheering up the footpath, sadly my own two small plants haven't blossomed this year, not yet anyway. Last year I got two blossoms which the cockatoos nipped off and ate.

a random cutting I saved from when someone ripped off most of a bush I had growing near the mailboxes here, the stem they left behind had this small viable branch and a bigger dead piece. I stuck this piece in the pot on my porch and hoped it would live and of course it did, I dug it out the dead bit and tossed it, guess where the rest of it is? In the same narrow strip of dirt where the hollyhocks are, I see it as I pass on my way to the shop everyday. It's growing well.

a random cloudy sky shot

"no-one" went out to visit the twins and brought them some early Christmas gifts

"what's this?"

Learning to open the wrapping

"help me too please?"

Jigsaws with their names in lift out letters! What a fun way to learn to spell your own name 😀

Ana tries hers

and here they are having fun in empty boxes.



Comments

  1. Another delightful selection. Thank you.
    We have been dry here so lots of the garden is slow to bloom. We finally are getting some rain so I have hopes.
    The twins are going to have a heap of fun in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; there should be a bit more rain coming your way but after that we well get the Perth weather and then it will move across to you, temps in the high 30s and low 40s. I hope your garden copes.
      The twins are going to love Christmas, I think it will be hectic, but once it is all over I don't think they will remember.

      Delete
  2. I looked into the Jacaranda Tree. Not only would it not grow here I wouldn't want it to grow here. It's an invasive type of tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike; invasive? I did not know that. We have them lining the streets in several of the older suburbs.

      Delete
  3. A colourful collection to help brighten up the morning.

    My, oh, my! You do have many, many knick-knacks, River. Little pieces of fun everywhere. And, as always, it's great to see pics of the beautiful little ladies. :)

    Have a fun, safe week ahead...my cuddles to the lovely Lady Lola. Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; thank you, I do have too many knick-knacks, especially when it comes to dusting everything. I should stop buying things. "The little ladies" are so well behaved most of the time and they talk to each other in baby talk. I'd love to know what they are saying.

      Delete
  4. Boxes are the best gifts. Seeing little babies having so much fun in one makes me remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; boxes really are great as they can be whatever your imagination wants them to be.

      Delete
  5. Lovely flowers and lovely little girls. I got most of my grandchildren those name puzzles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne; I'd never seen the name puzzles before, I think they are great!

      Delete
  6. We drove around the suburbs of Adelaide this morning to enjoy the beautiful Victorian architecture. The only surprise were the jacaranda trees which looked stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hels; did you come over for the car race? Adelaide does have some beautiful old homes.

      Delete
  7. The little ones are ever so sweet, love to see them doing their thing R.
    The hollyhocks are beautiful and I do love the colours.
    Your friends on the shelves are also nice to see - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; the girls are getting more vocal now talking to each other while we all wonder what they are saying.

      Delete
  8. Awwww, the big lion-papa and his baby are cute!
    I was too old for those trolls, and my Brother too young.
    That ashtray sure has a better job now!
    I love Jacarandas in bloom, so pretty! In sun...
    Speaking of... sunburned flowers you never find here! Still sooo many beautiful flowers left!
    And yay for rescuing one, well done! A joy to see on yet another grey, cold day. -1C, yikes. And I have to be at the company at 07:30. On foot.
    Cute the twins chose the boxes! I had trouble to keep Ingo from the Advent-calendar yesterday...
    Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; the trolls aren't toys, they were good luck trolls and I was over 30 when I bought mine. The twins like empty boxes, that's why their toys are all over the floor. I see a lot of sunburned flowers here, mostly roses. I have advent calendars for the girls and their brothers and one for me too.

      Delete
  9. Another lovely selection of photographs. I like the lion and cub. The flowers are all beautiful, especially the butterfly bush though it' s a shame about the roses. Our last roses are being frostbitten. The name puzzles are fun and such a thoughtful gift for those little girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; I was surprised at the size and weight of the lion and cub, but they look good on the shelf. There will be a lot of sunburned roses in the next few months. Then the autumn ones will flower and look beautiful.

      Delete
  10. It's nice to see your flowers -- quite a contrast to our chilly wet November! I love jacarandas but the flowers don't smell very nice.

    An ashtray decorated with skulls! How appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve Reed; now thta you mention it, it does seem appropriate. I don't like the hayfever sneezes I get from Jacaranda and much prefer the scent of roses.

      Delete
  11. I like your lions. Also, seeing the initial puzzlement on the girls' faces over the presents. Like, "What am I supposed to do with this?" I'm sure they learned quickly! Yes, Christmas will be a fun experience for all involved with them, at this age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; yes, the look on their faces is great but they sooon learned to rip off the paper. Christmas Day will be fun for them, the brothers will have to keep them away from gifts that aren't theirs. It's going to be a bit hectic I think.

      Delete
  12. The flowers are so pretty!

    Those girls are a delight to see, and you're right, that's a clever way to teach them to spell their names without them even realizing they are being taught.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thoroughly enjoyed exploring your blog, especially Sunday Selections 664. The diverse content and engaging writing kept me hooked. By the way, I've found great assistance for my assignments at Assignment Help Pro for Programming Assignment Help Online.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs