Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Alex J. Cavanaugh and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. spectre 2. mountains.3. puppies 4. nature 5. cockamamie 6. burnt 

and/or: 

1. carving 2. zombie 3. dongle 4. foliage 5. candlelight 6. crapulence

Also including Charlotte's colour of the month: mint green

Here is my story:

With the looming spectre of possible failure hanging over us, we glumly trudged into the examination room. On most days this was the gym, but during exam times it was fitted out with metal desks and chairs from an office supply shop that dealt in secondhand goods. Wooden desks from our classroom might have answers scratched onto them and that would never do!

We found our assigned seats and sat waiting for the officials to enter and hand out question sheets. Morning exams would be Math, History and English, afternoon exams would be Geography, and “free writing” on a subject chosen by the officials.

Tomorrow the girls would be in the Home Ec section cooking meals for the officials and the boys would be showing their woodworking skills for grading. I just knew Janet would be terrified of serving burnt offerings to any official. I worried about my carving skills. My hands were never destined for knife work, in our home, roasted chickens were torn apart with barbecue forks!

I gazed out of the newly cleaned windows towards the mountains, wishing I could be out there in the fields with the new puppies who were finally weaned enough to take on walks. The mountain tops still wore their frosty shawls, but the trees that made up their skirts were showing the bright mint greens of new spring growth through the older foliage. “Nature at work,” I thought, happy that the warmer weather was finally arriving.

The gym was cold though, very little sunshine ever made its way through those south facing windows. “Whose cockamamie idea was it that we shouldn’t be allowed to wear our blazers?” muttered Julie. “The officials,” said Heather, “last term some kids were caught with answer sheets up their sleeves and in their pockets.” Peter said, “me and George stayed up so late last night cramming knowledge into our heads we both woke up feeling and looking like zombies. He gets his turn in here tomorrow and Mum said I have to stay at Auntie Jill’s tonight so I can’t tell him about the questions.”

“If I pass with good grades in everything, I’m getting a candlelight dinner at a posh restaurant,” bragged Amy. “Well la-di-da,” said Peter, who then muttered to Roger, “she’s just full of crapulence that one.” The first of the officials arrived just as they both burst out giggling and we all nervously shuffled our feet and sat up straighter. “Hello everyone, My name is Mrs Wilson and I am in charge here today. Gosh it’s cold! I’ll just raise that thermostat a couple of degrees.” She smiled brightly, probably in hopes of calming our nerves.


Comments

  1. Ugh, exams. Some people actually enjoy them - that's inconceivable to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; I used to enjoy exams in primary school because I knew my work well. High school was a different matter. I passed most subjects quite well, but failed miserably in French.

      Delete
  2. Am I glad for now there are no tests when I join a seminar - I truly hope it stays this way. Not so nice memories of back then for the most part.
    But nice of the teacher to be cheerful and offering to get it a tad warmer, inside-out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; I like the teacher turning up the heat a bit. I'm glad to never have any tests again, though I never minded in Primary School. High School exams were harder.

      Delete
    2. Yes and topped when you´re off school/uni for over 20 years! And fail... bu-huu (in the aftermath it was the best that happened as it brought me to ESE).

      Delete
  3. Beautifully constructed. Well done. And yes, I remember those days and don't miss them. At all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you. I don't miss them either. Though I do wish I had stayed at school longer.

      Delete
  4. Cockamamie is such a good word. Nicely done, River.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent use of the words! I remember the exam times. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; thank you. The only exams I really hated were French and Algebra.

      Delete
  6. Nice works. I am the odd one who liked exams at school. Walk in, answer the questions while doing your best and have the rest of the days off. I HATED homework. And I got to read the dictionary until everybody was done. And no breaks where I could get teased and bullied. And treats to eat while writing away. ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; I liked exams in primary school because the work was so easy and I finished quickly, but high school was harder, I still managed apart from the French. I disliked homework too.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed exams because I could just get them done, then read a book. No listening to boring lectures, or interacting with annoying attention-getters. Your description is making me feel the cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I don't remember if we were allowed to read once we finished, I think we had to leave the room first after handing in our papers.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs