Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Alex J. Cavanaugh and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. Saturn 2. orange 3. festival 4. wind 5. spicy 6. flustered 

and/or: 

1. horror 2. neon 3. giant 4. fight 5. perfect 6. flying

also including Charlotte's colour of the month: mint green

Here is my story:

Our mouths dropped open as Cousin Cassie stepped from the taxi. Her outfit was lovely, a cream and pale mint skirt and jacket, with pearlescent pale mint buttons and shoes that were a perfect match in colour. But her hair! A red so flaming it was practically neon and styled to stand from her head almost like a halo. She greeted us all with air kisses and hurried us inside. Mum took the box of cupcakes from her and placed them on the dining room table. Harvey lifted the lid for a sneak peek and whispered to me, “so many! and every single one with rainbow icing!”

“This is going to be the best birthday ever!” I said, jumping up and down a little from excitement. “Settle down Suzanne,” said Dad coming in to get the biggest tablecloth we owned, and the oversized bulldog clips to hold it to the table. “Wait, wait!” said Cassie. “Are we eating outside?” “Yes,” said Harvey, “it’s a barbecue, Dad said he told you.” Cassie, who had a horror of flying insects landing in her hair, took her deeper, mint green chiffon scarf from her neck and tied it over her hair. “I completely forgot,” she said, “luckily this scarf is big enough and if I tie it just so (demonstrating) the wind won’t be able to lift it away.”

“If I squint my eyes a bit you look like you have green hair now,” I said “And after I spent an entire morning at the salon getting it dyed red,” said Cassie. “So how many will be here and what are we eating?” “About a million little girls from Suzanne’s class,” grumbled Harvey, “and only three boys from mine.” I poked out my tongue at him and said, “there’s only ten girls and it isn’t my fault the rest of your friends have chicken pox.” “How old are you now Suzanne?” asked Cassie. “I am ten,” I answered proudly. “And maybe a bit too old for poking out your tongue?” Mum came through the room with giant platters to hold the barbecued foods and told Cassie, “we have spicy chicken wings, lime-juice-and-garlic marinated prawns, plus the usual steaks and sausages.” “And salad,” said Harvey scrunching up his nose at the thought of lettuce getting anywhere near his plate.

“Sounds perfect,” said Cassie answering the front doorbell. It was Martha Cooper, looking flustered as usual, “I hope it’s alright to drop off Jenny and Elaine a bit early? There’s an emergency at work and I have to go in a sort things out. That new girl just doesn’t seem to be able to understand the system.” “It’s fine said Mum,” coming in again for napkins and wet wipes. “Suzanne, take the girls to your room and play a while, the rest of your guests should start arriving soon.” Jenny and Elaine followed Suzanne to her room, all three chattering eagerly about the upcoming festival at school. “Which planet did Miss Cullen give you?’ asked Elaine. “Mars,” said Suzanne with a small grimace. “Everyone knows I don’t look good in red/orange shades!” “I’m Jupiter,” said Elaine, “so my costume has to have moons swinging around it.” “I’m Earth,” said Jenny, “I wanted to be Saturn with all the pretty rings, but that’s what Molly got.”

“I hear a car,” I said, looking out my window. “ugh, It’s Harvey’s friends all arriving together. Let’s hope they don’t start a water balloon fight before we get to eat cake and Cousin Cassie brought a huge box of extra cupcakes!” “I saw her,” said Jenny, and Mum did too, she wants me to ask how did she get shoes that perfectly match her buttons.”


Comments

  1. I always look forward to your stories and this one doesn't disappoint.
    You're never too old to poke out your tongue, in my opinion.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; thank you. I agree but there are times it isn't acceptable, for instance when photos are being taken.

      Delete
  2. Words do have power. I recall water fights.
    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with jabblog. On both counts. And poked my very adult tongue out at someone yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I do my tongue poking mentally.

      Delete
  4. In a 'déjà vu' moment,, the word 'Orange' called to me HERE Hope the link works. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinksy; thank you for jpining us, I'll come over and read right now.

      Delete
  5. I had the same thought as jabblog ;-)
    I have one pic of my Mum just like that hanging to my left beside Ingo in a silly hat (different occasions). It was on one on her last happy days, when we still thought she can fight cancer. So, reckon for fun pics it´s OK - it always makes me smile.
    Hmmm, a bbq.
    All I have for brekkie is... a boring salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; I don't like poking tongues out for photos, so many of my older daughter's photos show her poking her tongue out when I would prefer to see her lovely smile.
      My brekkie is almost always hot porridge.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Tomeichan Matheikal; welcome to drifting. I think too many words might make it more difficult. Some people put up fewer words and some put up pictures as inspiration.

      Delete
  7. That was a happy story! I think they're going to have a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; a very fun day for them, as birthdays usually are.

      Delete
  8. Mmm... barbecue, salad, and a nice cupcake sound good enough for me to endure a water balloon battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; as long as the water ballon battle is far away from the food table.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs