Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Elephant's Child and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are:  five old phrases (adages?) that aren't heard much these days:

1. too many cooks spoil the broth

2. the apple of my eye

3. pie in the sky

4. not for all the tea in China

5. spill the beans

Here is my story:

As the general hubbub increased in volume and intensity, Mrs Gladstone took matters into her own hands and pounded on the piano keys, shocking everyone else into immediate silence.

Holding the microphone, she said “I believe what we have here is a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth! Everyone wants to be heard and everyone wants to have their choice. But if we don’t come to some sort of agreement, the talent show simply cannot go on.”

Jennie Sanders said, “I think we should all sit down and write our suggestions and ideas and”  “And what dear?” asked Mrs Gladstone. “Oh I don’t know,” said Jennie. “I just know that my Bonnie would love to be able to show off her tap dancing, she has been learning for three years now and is getting quite good. Perhaps we could combine a singing and dancing routine?”

“Great idea,” said Mrs Gladstone, “any suggestions for something with an easy rhythm?” “What about that old ‘pie in the sky’ song? Called a voice from the back.

“Do you mean the “High Hopes one with the ant and the rubber tree plant?” said Mrs Gladstone. “Yes,” said the unknown voice, “it is short and could lend itself to some easy tapping. How old is Bonnie?” “She is six,” said Jennie. “Who are you? Could you come forward please?” “Not for all the tea in China,” he muttered and ducked out through the side door.

“Does anyone know who that was?” asked Mrs Gladstone. ‘I’d rather not spill the beans,” said Angela Hammond, “but I did see his face and I know he doesn’t want to be seen, he has burn injuries, but I know he is a good person. His own grand daughter was the apple of his eye and she was of similar age to your Bonnie when she died in that fire, he tried so hard to save her.”


Everyone remembers this don't they?

Comments

  1. Oh my...good use of the prompts...sad ending. Well done River.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie; thank you, a little sad, but the grandfather is getting out and about again.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear - I use all those adages - must be my age! Nice story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; I never use those adages, but I remember hearing them from folk much older than me in years past. They don't seem to have made it to these modern days.

      Delete
  3. Another totally delightful vignette. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
  4. What a great set of prompts. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn Jilks; it was a challenging set this week.

      Delete
  5. Those old wise saying, is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; most old sayings are helpful, but we don't hear them much these days.

      Delete
  6. Frank must have agonized over this "song".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catalyst; maybe, maybe not, we'll never know for sure. Wasn't it part of a movie soundtrack?

      Delete
    2. Yes, I think so. It reminds me of a story in which Frank was telling some of his buddies that he could make a hit out of anything. They challenged his claim and suggested "Old MacDonald's Farm". He took up the challenge, recorded it with a swinging, cocky Sinatra beat and . . . it was a hit! He wasn't a very nice man but he could sing!

      Delete
    3. Catalyst; I did not know that, but I never look into histories of singers.

      Delete
  7. Great minds think alike and fools seldom differ.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on incorporating those old phrases. Happy New Year, River!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr.Shife; thank you, Happy New Year to you and your family.

      Delete
  9. Hopefully, that guy will come back to watch the performance. I don't know the movie, but I remember the Doris Day version of that song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I think he will come back to watch. I didn't know Doris Day had a version of that song.

      Delete
  10. What a very, very well written story. So sad. So scary. Mrs Gladstone is great.
    Tuesday I have a seminar on fire protection on trains. Wonderful. I hate to know too much and will have to go by train all the way to Frankfurt to visit you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; the only sad part is at the end, about the grandfather and grand daughter, the rest is just a hectic meeting about a talent show. The seminar is in Frankfurt? You should take photos, I have never seen Frankfurt. Or any other part of Germany except what I see on blogs.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs