Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Elephant's Child and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. memories 2. thanks 3. running 4. grave 5. collected 

and/or: 

1. clover 2. regrets 3. marvellous 4. enchanted 5. clock

Here is my story:

I sat beside his grave, leaning my back and head against the cool black granite. A shaft of sunlight broke through the clouds, highlighting the emerald four-leaf clover I’d had embedded above his name. I wished again for an enchanted clock that could turn back time, but knew it was impossible. As marvellous as such a thing might be, it did no good to go backwards. Forwards really was the only option.

 We had collected so many memories, happy ones, with no regrets and I sat back now to remember the day we’d met. He’d been running then, my Liam, running away from home, running away to join the Navy, thinking life on a ship that travelled the world would be far enough away from a dirt poor home with a drunken father in it.

We had both been at the bus station, him just arriving and headed towards the nearest Naval Recruiting Office, me waiting for my Aunty Maisie who was coming to live with us now that Uncle Dan had died. They'd had no children, while my home seemed to be overflowing with them. I was the eldest, so meeting Aunty had been assigned to me.

As soon as our eyes met, we knew. Liam and I were destined to be together. He sat with me while I waited for Aunty and we exchanged addresses. After we parted the letters to and from flew around the world with the regularity of sunrise, and when he landed in my home town four years later we married and began filling our own little house with children. He stayed in the Navy, going off now and again, though less often as he got older.

His final trip had been twenty years ago now, and once again I was alone, the children long gone to homes of their own, though they visited often and had arrived en-masse for his funeral. There had been an accident at sea, his ship had hit a reef somehow and sunk quickly. Bodies were recovered from life rafts, some barely alive, many dead. Liam among them. His commanding officer had brought Liam home to me and the Navy had arranged the funeral.

We’d had a good long life together, for which I now gave thanks. I settled the new flowers into the old urn and whispered again my hope that we might soon meet again in the hereafter.


Comments

  1. Bittersweet tale, and so very well told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; thank you. I wasn't planning a sad story, but that's what came out.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thnak you for the words, the story wrote itself.

      Delete
  3. That is lovely, River. Heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bit of a sad tale but well-written, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catalyst; thank you. I didn't choose the sad, the story wrote itself.

      Delete
  5. Heartbreaking but an excellent story, River.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dreams and memories are things I give thanks for. In one dream, I was running to reach the side of a grave where villagers had collected. We all wore clover in our lapels and spoke of our regrets. The deceased had been a marvellous human being whose life seemed to be enchanted like the midnight clock in the tale of "Cinderella".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very nice use of the prompts.

      Delete
    2. Yorkshire Pudding; I like this, many friends all gathered to speak of the departed one.

      Delete
  7. Many a military family has a similar story. It's heartbreaking. You told it very, very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I hope it wasn't too heartbreaking. My ex's military family seems to have missed this with all members safely growing old at home with their families. Thank you.

      Delete
  8. A sad tale, but his spirit lives on in the memories and the children. It's better than never having met, and missing out on those experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; thank you. His spirit does live on in the children and the many grandchildren.

      Delete
  9. You made me cry. I think I would break, or will. I´m not that strong...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; they were together many many years and she probably did cry at first, but she is old and ready to join him in their heaven soon.

      Delete
    2. And that is the problem. Ingo is nearly 8 years older than me...

      Delete
  10. Well done on the prompts River, a beautiful story and well written, poignant.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs