Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 


The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Lissa and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are:

 leap;   original;   unusual;   29;   time;


Here is my very short story:

“It’s a leap year kids, 29 days this month instead of the usual 28. You remember what that means?”

“Mum gets her birthday on the actual day of her birth!” said Melissa. “That’s unusual isn’t it,” said David. “but she ages with time just like the rest of us, if she only counted each leap year birthday Mum would only be nine instead of thirty-six!”

“That’s younger than us,” said Melissa. “True,” said Dad, “and because it is an actual proper birthday we need to come up with an original idea to celebrate the day.” “What do you mean?” asked David.

“Something more than just an extra nice dinner and a cake,” said Dad. “Okay then,” said Melissa. “Let’s begin with the most important question, how much do we have available in the ‘birthday kitty’?”

Comments

  1. Happy Leap Year, River!! I am still not sure if I am a fan of the extra day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Shife; thank you. I rescued you from spam. I don't mind the extra day.

      Delete
  2. Lissa knew that it was time to take the leap. Her original idea was to have a small, discreet dolphin tattooed upon her left shoulder. However, as months had passed by, she came to realise that she needed something more unusual, more daring than that. She would become thirty in two weeks and she wanted a design that would mark the end of her wild twenties. Soon she was lying prostrate in "Elsie's Tattoo Parlour" and Elsie was poised ready to begin the inking on Lissa's buttocks. A big aboriginal patterned number 2 on her left buttock and a number 9 on her right buttock. "29" - it took a long time to do but in Lissa's opinion it was worth every cent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; nicely done though I'm cringing at the thought of many, many, inked needles on my buttocks.

      Delete
    2. Yorkshire Pudding: This was weird because that's my name in your story. Sadly, I'm not that daring enough to put a tattoo on my behind, sounds really painful to do. Good use of the prompts.

      Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. I hope they have plenty to do it up right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it should be special, since it will only be her "9th" time celebrating her actual birthday. The Pony was supposed to be a leap year baby, but arrived two weeks early. I was relieved for him. Birthdays are a big deal for the youngsters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; the family does make it special for her, they know her favourite meals, places to go and things to do, so the day goes well.

      Delete
  5. I know someone born on leap day. Same year I was 1960 She now 16.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; I don't know any leap year babies at all, I do know one New Year's Eve baby who is now almost 50.

      Delete
  6. Nice take on the prompts. I think I would prefer to count my years in leap year time if I was born on a leap year.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lissa; I wouldn't, it would be too weird when I turn ten and all my friends are forty!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs