Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 


The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Sean Jeating and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are carried over from last week: 

1. funeral 2. moon 3. splendiferously 4. sun 5. coffin 

and/or: 

1. afraid 2. biased 3. crows 4. nutrition 5. worms

 and added to by this weeks words: 

1. art 2. awe 3. love 4. moonlit 5. sleeping 

and/or: 

1. beauty 2. breathless 3. dreamscape 4. face 5. oxygen

also including Charlotte's colour of the month: pebble grey

Here is my story:

Sandra tossed her handbag on the table and kicked off her shoes before sinking onto the sofa. “Colin, you really should have come to this funeral. I know you were biased against him for having so much inherited money instead of earning it, but that wasn’t his fault. If someone left me scads of money would you become biased and turn against me?” “Of course not, I love you” said Colin “and what I felt wasn’t bias, it was jealousy, I just tried to hide it.”

“Oh,”said Sandra. “Well anyway, remember how he said he was going to have the most splendiferously magnificent coffin? You should have seen it, a work of art to be sure, custom made to his directions, it was an open coffin viewing so we could all see him sleeping forever in the dreamscape interior, wearing his favourite teal shirt, which looked a little odd against his pebble grey face, he hadn’t wanted any makeup. I guess that’s how skin looks when there’s no oxygen.”

Sandra took a breath and drank from the coffee Colin had brought her. “I’d be afraid to look like that, you’ll have to make sure I get at least a little colour when it’s my turn.” “That’s years away Sandy, I might forget or I might go first.”

Sandra nodded then said, “anyway, let me tell you more about the coffin, the exterior was completely painted in a shimmery blue, like the metallic finishes on some cars, pale at the head end with a setting sun, deepening towards the foot end where a full moon was rising and in between the whole thing was inlaid with glittery stars. The beauty of it left me momentarily breathless when they closed the lid and turned down the lights so the room appeared moonlit and we could see all the stars glimmering. I’m truly in awe at the amount of money he must have spent on something that will now be nutrition for worms and eventually crows who will eat those worms.”

“I have to tell you something Sandy,” said Colin. “Andrew told me about the coffin when he came around after you left. It was just a plain wooden box and he had the interior done by college art students and the exterior by the panel beater apprentices, the money he paid them will help with their college tuition and he gave a huge chunk to various charities. But nobody else knows and Andrew wants us to keep Philip’s secret.”

“Huh,” said Sandra. “Well it was still splendiferous and the feast after was too. I’m going to remember it forever.”


Comments

  1. Philip was a thoughtful man. The coffin must have looked wonderful. I hope Sandra took photographs . . . 😎

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

Words for Wednesday