Aaaarrrgh! Why does it have to be so hard?
I have been battling to sort out the new laptop, a Lenovo. It came with Windows 11, not such a big change there.
But everything else, (the entire operating system?) seems to be light years ahead of everything I know. So far I am able to read and reply to emails, read and leave comments on blogs and that's about it.
I am unable to make the time and date correct for my country and daylight saving, I've been to "settings" and clicked around several times but it hasn't worked. Language ditto. I mistakenly chose UK English instead of Australian English and now I can't change it.
I am able to write a "new post" but any formatting such as underlining words or sentences can't be done, pictures cannot be added in (bye bye Sunday Selections?) and scheduling a post for the next day or the next week is also out of the question.
Shouldn't blogger just be the same from one laptop to another? Even with a different operating system? The general format of blogger shouldn't change.
Enlarging the text for easy-reading for older eyes isn't easy either, and it just doesn't get large enough to suit my preference.
So I gave up. I have asked "no-one" to help out but won't see her until next week.
My old "dead" Asus, is still sort of working, gimping along, so I have used it today since 8am, to schedule all this month's Sunday Selections posts and next month's Words for Wednesday,(September) but just the words, not any stories I might write from them. Yet.
Another problem is Windows Media, a built-in system for songs, videos, movies, the newer laptops just don't have it. Nor do they have Home Office, which contains "Word" which is where I write my stories, luckily there WAS an option to restore exisiting folders etc from Asus to Lenovo so I have Word at least. I don't know about "paint" where I can resize pictures etc, I haven't even looked for it there.
I could locate and download a free version of Windows Media, but how do I move over the 500 or more songs I currently have on the Asus? Do NOT mention i-tunes!! They only play songs purchased from THEIR store, everything else just vanishes from the list. They don't "recognise" songs you load yourself from CDs.
All my saved photos are currently on a hard drive and I will transfer them to the new laptop over time, a few per day, since the folders are fairly full and take time to download.
Maybe I should have coughed up a few hundred extra $$$ and bought another Asus? Too late now.
What browser do you use? Blogger should stick to that, right.
ReplyDeleteHuh???? For Siemens mobility I had to alter a train from American to British English. There is Aussie English as well??? Where is the difference, I thought that is UK-English.
Never stop learning!
Shoot. Not a chance to give the Lenovo back and get a new Asus? Maybe just ask?
My PC is old, too, you freak me out a little...
P.S.: I needed three tries to have that comment published.... glad I copied first...
DeleteIris; I have been with Microsoft Edge since I got the Asus with it already installed, so that what I chose for the Lenovo, thinking it would make things easier, because of familiarity with the system. Cannot return the Lenovo, now that I have used it and installed some of the things from the Asus. With UK English the keyboard types different symbols, a pound symbol instead of a dollar for example.
DeleteI'm just happy my old laptop continues, though sluggish and slower.
Shoot. They are not willing to reset the Lenovo? That is bad customer service. They could sell it for lower price after all and if you were willing.... no idea if they would do it here, either.
DeleteMaybe try Firefox after all? I work with both, MS Edge and FF, depending on what I need - both work good for what they should do (strange there are really differences, though).
Oh, and... of course the keyboard, not the language, right? American English: Recognize - British and Aussie: Recognise, yes? Just as example... z > s....
DeleteIris; I had Firefox very briefly years ago and didn't like it, not trying that again.
DeleteNothing is ever straightforward. 'No-one' will have you sorted in no time, I'm sure, but it shouldn't have to be so difficult.
ReplyDeletejabblog; until now it was all straightforward. Going from Asus to Acer, then to Toshiba, then to another Asus, and no problems each time. But this Asus is at least ten years old, maybe more and in that time too much technology has advanced too far. Everything is aimed for young people who have grown up with it, not elderly over 70 grandmas.
DeleteOh gosh, R. I have an Asus.
ReplyDeleteTo take your songs over to your new laptop - put them all on a USB in old computer, then transfer them over to your new laptop via the USB.
iTunes - download the app on your new computer, your iTunes songs should be within the app.
Blogger should be exactly the same as before. If not change your browser as a try to see if it's ok.
Time - to set the time - right click on the time in the lower right hand bottom corner - adjust date and time. It should stay correct when done as long as you have the 'time zone' correct.
Home Office - there should be a program there to do text on - click on those 4 squares at the bottom left and side of your screen, click on those four squares and up will pop a list, scroll down and you should find what you need there including your 'Paint' there also. I have a 'Media Player' there.
I hope this is a help to you - good luck...take care, Margaret D
Margaret D; I love my Asus, but she is slowly dying, hence the new Lenovo. I know about putting the music on a usb, but I'm using a bigger external hard drive, same thing but with more capacity and I will transfer the songs as soon as I get Windows Media installed on the Lenovo. iTunes is already on there, but I don't like it, I have it on the Asus and all songs I loaded from CDs have disappeared into the cloud and cannot be played, only songs I bought from the iTunes store remain, I don't think that's fair.
DeleteThe Lenovo doesn't have Home Office installed, I would have to buy it and install it, according to the salespeople, many newer laptops don't have it, but when I found the option to have older programs transferred during startup, I chose that and Word transferred easily, so I have that. I don't need powerpoint or any of the other options.
I haven't checked yet for "paint" and will check tomorrow, also check for "Media player"
"no-one" has suggested Google Chrome instead of Google and if that works alongside Microsoft Edge all will be well. Unless she can get things sorted with just regular Google, because that's a search engine, not an operating system.
Thank you.
I adjusted the date and time several times and it didn't "stick" yet.
I got all of that, thanks. I use Edge and sometimes Google Chrome. Gosh that is a pity about your songs on iTunes, in the cloud you say, don't know about that one. Good luck with it all and I'm sure it will all turn out ok in the end, well most of it 😊
DeleteUnless they've changed things you should be able to find Paint (one of my favorite apps) by clicking the Start button, typing "Paint", and pressing Enter. If it's not there you can download it from the Microsoft Store.
DeleteMargaret D and Kathy G; I found Paint and also Media Player which is probably Windows media under a new name.
DeleteIt always take some time to do this. Good that you can have help. My PC uses Windows 11 too (I changed recently from a 10+ years old one using Win 7), and I can change my settings to English (Australian) ;) But I have no idea if it behaves differently on a laptop.
ReplyDeleteOnce upon a time a Tech-savvy person told me: Play around all you like, you cannot break the PC, and Alt+f4 closes everything ;) Since then I've just played around and tried to make the PC do as I want, and not the other way around. Just do not be afraid. I'm sad I do not live nearby, then I'd be over, and show you how.
He he, I just had my spell checker add Australian English - just wanted to see if I could.
Charlotte; I am afraid a little bit, I know I'm not smart and learning new systems always takes me a while, "no-one" is good about that and often writes things down in "step-by-step" lists for me and that helps until it sticks in my memory. The thing is, the change from the sweet little Toshiba to the current Asus was so easy, which makes it more frustrating to find the Lenovo harder. I LOVED windows 7 😀 and later windows XP too.
DeleteI'll baby the Asus along as much as I can until "no-one" helps next week. In the meantime, I'll keep transferring all my pictures and photos, so they will be ready to use. I have prescheduled this month's Sunday Selections, but forgot to include your colour of the month, sorry.
So frustrating!!!! I feel your pain. I hope your friend can help you next week.
ReplyDeleteDebra She Who Seeks; thank you. My friend "no-one" is my genius daughter who always helps me out with things like this. True genius, really high IQ.
DeleteThis encourages me to stick with my refurb tablet. But then I don't save music nor pictures. I can see why you need a more complicated setup.
ReplyDeleteBoud; I need my music which helps my moods and calms me and also has me dancing around sometimes which HAS to be better than just sitting all day. The pictures come in handy for several things, photos I took for "Sunday Selections" posts, sometimes I'll add pictures to a story I write for the Words for Wednesday Challenge and of course many many photos of family including grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
DeleteI'm sorry to hear about all those issues. Sadly I'm a Mac user and have little experience with Windows but you're right, web browsers should work the same but maybe the browser you use is not so Blogger-friendly? Have you testing different browsers to see if it's the same thing?
ReplyDeleteI hope you work things out.
Have a lovely day.
the digital equivalent of the pickle factory turning the 'screw on the caps' to '11' (GenZ owned manufacturing motto: 'make everything smaller, tighter and harder-to-see) Wish I was joking enough to laugh lol
ReplyDeleteclark; "everything smaller and harder to see" that's for sure and boy is that annoying!
DeleteRiver, you could try a USB transfer cable. I got mine at Amazon and it worked like a dream. Everything transferred in minutes. If all else fails, go to a local computer place and ask them what to recommend.
ReplyDeleteLeanna; I am using a 4TB hard drive to transfer things that didn't come over automatically, it's a slow process but I have time.
DeleteSo sorry you are experiencing problems, I'm sure your daughter will be able to help you.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Lowcarb team member; thank you, she always helps.
DeleteTo err is human but to really foul things up requires technology.
ReplyDeletemessymimi; I have heard that before and it is true!
DeleteSo sorry to read this River. My transition to a sparkling new computer and Windows 11 was the smoothest transition ever. I hired someone to do it and even blogger worked as before. In fact everything did including old corporate and personal tax software. I know you're ahead of the data game but have you checked reddit for others experiencing similar issues?
ReplyDeleteXO
WWW