Musical Monday
No prizes for guessing who I am featuring today:
Dolly Parton of course!
the lyrics to one of her best songs:
Coat of Many Colours. (this image is NOT a video)
but this one is and it said this was the first ever performance of the song. I hope it plays.
There is a movie available too, though I don't yet have a copy
I think I would like to have a Coat of Many Colours, though I usually wear much more subdued clothing.



You should definitely seek out the movie. It was a good one!
ReplyDeleteKathy G; I will find it for sure.
DeleteOnly since she died have I realised how many hit songs she had. I read an amusing anecdote when she was asked about Whitney Houston (I think) having a massive hit with "I will always love you". Dolly said she was quite happy for Whitney to receive the fame, while she, Dolly, received the royalties.
ReplyDeleteAndrew; I hadn't heard that, but I'd prefer royalties over fame too.
DeleteDolly’s songs always carry such heart.
ReplyDeleteCoat of Many Colours is one of those pieces that makes you pause and feel the story behind it.
Veronica Lee; they do all have heart and this one has my favourite line, "One is only poor only if they choose to be"
DeleteI love that you chose Dolly for Musical Monday, especially with “Coat of Many Colors”. That song has so much heart in it, and knowing the story behind the coat makes the lyrics hit differently. I had a little smile at the thought of you wanting your own coat of many colours despite usually sticking to more subdued clothes. I would definitely be curious to see what kind of colourful coat you would choose, because Dolly makes a very good case for owning one.
ReplyDeleteMelody Jacob; thank you, I think a coat as close in colours to Dolly's would be nice, but thick and warm for winter. Maybe with a down filling and a beret to match.
DeleteShe had a beautiful voice! Must ask Ingo but to me she was not present.... either in Germany or I´m "too young"...
ReplyDeleteIris; you are not too young at all, my children and many others know well who Dolly Parton is, it's more likely that she never performed in your country and if you are not a fan of "Country" style music you wouldn't know about her. Find some of her songs on youtube and listen. She has movies too.
DeleteHonestly... she was known here for her boobs - sad as that is!!! A shame. I only learned after she passed away what a fine woman she was...
DeleteThe Coat of Many Colours what a wonderful song she wrote and sang, R. Beautiful lady from what I've read. I haven't got any of her CD's or records but do have just one with her singing with Linda Ronstadt and Emily Harris, 'The Trio', love that CD.
ReplyDeleteMargaret D; sadly I don't have any of her CDs either and I think now they would be hard to find or very expensive as people try to cash-in on the fame value. The Coat of Many Colours was one of the best.
DeleteSuch a nice tribute post to such a very fine lady!
ReplyDeleteMarcia; welcome to drifting and thank you.
DeleteThe best post of the year.
ReplyDeleteThank you, I needed this.
ReplyDelete