Sunday Selections # 802

 Long ago, Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections. 

A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please. 

Nothing rude or vulgar though.

And we don't mind at all if other bloggers care to join us.

In memory of Elephant's Child, the meme is now continued by myself and a few others. Andrew is one.  Messymimi is another. Drop in to their blogs and have a look.

Wisewebwoman has also been joining us occasionally.

on my way to somewhere last Saturday

I noticed this section of garage wall

looking quite unsteady and as if it might tumble down any day now.

in another street I saw this row of neat garages looking a lot like beach huts where one would change clothing in days of not-quite yore

and another very fancy-schmancy car dealership

it is also a repair shop I believe

catering for a range of up-market vehicles

but this wasn't my destination, this is way above my paygrade and I don't drive anyway, a car would be useless for me.

Here is where I was headed, the local Salvos,

an op-shop, known in other parts of the world as a thrift shop or secondhand shop. THIS has stuff I can afford, including a decent paperback books section. I had spotted a couple of Jeffery Deavers the previous week and hoped they were still there.  (they were and only $6 each)

Walking homeward I noticed this tree root, looking suspiciously like a dinosaur foot (fossil?)

someone had torn away the bark in a heart shape on the leg of the dinosaur tree trunk

and on the opposite side to the "foot fossil" was the "dew claw".  Have I stumbled upon something amazing? Or is mother nature being whimsical?

still walking I saw these pretty yellow-green buds, I know the name of this plant but can't bring it to mind right now

it's in a planter beside the entrance to...

Cocobello, a restaurant on our Glen Osmond Road, which is the one heading into the hills area and becomes the freeway as you leave Adelaide. 

This is the menu taped inside the glass door, I believe they also do takeaway meals, but I could be remembering wrong.

Next door, city side, is another restaurant. I have never been in either of these, but the name of this one suggests Mexican foods are on the menu.

Same road, a bit further towards the city, not too far, remember I am walking, is Singapore House, this stretch of road is packed with eateries.

The entrance door,

and the frontage, well, part of it.

next, still heading in the city direction (because I had to get to the traffic crossing) is Pagoda, Dine In and Take away. I should try it one day. 

and here is what the Pagoda looks like, not at all like the fancy multi-storey Pagodas seen in Japanese movies, but who cares as long as the food is good?

Finishing up with this month's calendar page:

drawing number one,

drawing number two,

and the colour page.

















Comments

  1. You had an eventful walk! Wow, those bricks could use some mortar, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra She Who Seeks; they certainly could! It's the front edge of a garage that goes back behind the fence there and I wonder sometimes how it is still standing.

      Delete
  2. Those bricks look like they've just been stacked up. Gotta love a good thrift store! I've never heard the Salvation Army shops called "Salvos." Maybe that's an Australian thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve Reed; very much an Australian thing, like "arvo" for afternoon and "smoko" for tea breks during working hours, when people often have a cigarette as well as a cup of tea or coffee. These days far fewer actually smoke, but "smoko" remains, though more in rural areas than cities these days. I think our unique traditional Aussie slang is dying out and I am sad about that, Americanisms are creeping in and that's even sadder.

      Delete
    2. Steve
      People too end in o. A garbo collects our rubbish and an ambo takes sick people to hospital.

      Delete
    3. Hihi, I got "fooled" so often! "Wanna have an avo this arvo - and don´t forget to take your brolly!" But once here... "the train stopped and no one speaks English!!!" Yah... LOL
      The bricks will do their job, I suppose. And hmmm. Mexican food and art - YES.

      Delete
    4. and servo is the service/gas/petrol station

      Delete
  3. The row of neat garages look refreshingly clean. Most garages look like they haven't been looked after since the 1950s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hels; they are lovely, that side of the street is a more "upmarket" suburb. The garages we have here are woeful, many have huge cracks in the walls, and doors are dented where people have tried to break in.

      Delete
  4. So much going on with this walk. I love the planter with the yellow green buds. Of course the skull is my fave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DVArtist; I buy a day of the dead/sugar skull calendar every year.

      Delete
  5. The brick wall doesn't look functional, but your picture makes those bricks pleasing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; that section looks like a bump from a cat would knock it down, but still it keeps standing, it is the narrow front edge of the larger wall behind: the garage wall.

      Delete
  6. Good selection along the way there R. Some people have no respect for trees or anything for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; thank you. Too many people don't respect trees, but this was just a small section of bark missing and the rest of the tree is fine.

      Delete
  7. I've never seen a Bentley dealership. We have a place nearby called Wilmslow which is quite posh so they may have one there. I know that people who live there have fancy cars. If I were loaded though I still wouldn't waste my money on a posh car - I'd be travelling instead.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Sunday.
    Its my first visit here
    My Sunday link party is
    HERE

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're very observant. The garage with the dodgy brickwork is rather worrying, but the 'beach hut' garages look as attractive as garages can.
    Are the plants Euphorbia?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’d be very concerned if this were my garage.

    You saw lots of interesting places and yes, shopping at charity/thrift/secondhand/op shops is for my budget, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Words for Wednesday

Sunday Selections #754

dented or otherwise damaged cans, what do you do?