Sunday Selections #803
Long ago, Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections.
A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please.
Nothing rude or vulgar though.
And we don't mind at all if other bloggers care to join us.
In memory of Elephant's Child, the meme is now continued by myself and a few others. Andrew is one. Messymimi is another. Drop in to their blogs and have a look.
Wisewebwoman has also been joining us occasionally.
this is a sunset view from the bedroom window of my brother's new house.
this jungly garden is hiding something...
a lovely old concrete birdbath
grevillea flowers, these ones are quite large at 3-4 inches long, while many other grevilleas have flowers so tiny they are barely seen. The shrubs are prickly, which makes them perfect hiding places for birds as cats avoid them.
a metal panel in someone's garden has a nice design etched into it
and this is a concrete pump, stretched up and over a house, so that concrete can be pumped into the backyard for whatever it is they are building. Could be a swimming pool, could be a foundation to extend the house.We'll never know.
someone has outgrown their mini tractor as is ready for something bigger.
and someone else has outgrown their pretty pink bicycle
a single yellow rose reaching for the sky
striations on a gum tree near the Royal Adelaide Hospital, more commonly known as the RAH
here's a closer look, I like it.
painted *stobie poles are common in several suburbs, often along main roads, but ometimes side streets have them.
these ones are along Fullarton Road at a suburb called Highgate
all are painted with native Australian flowers
and I have no idea what most of them are. I do recognise wattle when I see it...
finishing today with:
a rainbow, taken by "no-one" on July 28th on her way home from work.
*stobie poles are the tall concrete and metal poles lining the streets of cities, towns and rural roads, carrying electrical wires everywhere possible in my country.















The stobie decorations are fantastic and really brighten up the streetscape.
ReplyDeleteThe view from your brother's house is lovely.
jabblog; many suburbs have decorated stobie poles and they are done on both sides so they look good coming or going. For main roads I think there is a designated artist who does all of them in any one particular suburb. In "no-one's" street there is one thta was painted by the woman who moved into the house when it sold and I saw her painting when I visited one week and took photos when it was completed but can't find them now.
DeleteI like the jungly garden with the birdbath! And the stobie poles, which I remember learning about from your blog previously. The artwork is terrific.
ReplyDeleteSteve Reed; I like the jungly garden too, but really so much of it is way overgrown and due for some serious work. The house is very old and probably the people in it are too and it has got beyond them. The artwork is terrific and differs between suburbs, there is a section near a primary school in a different suburb where the poles are painted by 6th graders.
DeleteThose lovely paintings sure brighten up the stobie poles!
ReplyDeleteDebra She Who Seeks; they sure do and a plain undecorated stobie pole is a dull thing for sure. These artworks are all council approved.
DeleteThat concrete pump is impressive. I had no idea such a thing existed. That's a cute little green tractor. It should have no trouble finding a new home.
ReplyDeleteVal; I am surprised so many people don't know about concrete pumps. They are designed to fit to a concrete delivery truck so the concrete can be "pumped" further than just dumping it onsite, such as hard to reach areas as behind buildings or into narrow spaces between buildings. I see them often at building sites where the truck cannot enter the block and the concrete needs to be way down by the back fence for possibly a house foundation, then another one and a third as the block fills up with potential townhouses. These are homes where the ground floor is a garage attached to the home with living, laundry, kitchen and dining rooms, then bedrooms and maybe another small living room are upstairs, with another bathroom.
DeleteThat concrete pump is wild.
ReplyDeleteA bit green and colorful there - spring on the way?
Alex J Cavanaugh; have you never seen a concrete pump? I don't remember exactly when I took these photos, but possibly early autumn, I remember being an hour early for a dental appointment so wandered around that neighbourhood rather than sit in a chair in the waiting room. A lot of Australia is green all year round anyway. In the cities at least.
DeleteI don't remember having seen a stobie pole, but it looks impressive. Who does the design and who pays for the art work?
ReplyDeletehels; how have you never seen a stobie pole? I thought you lived in Australia. Artists do the work which is commisioned by the councils in each area, paid for from council funds.
DeleteThe stobie pole decorations are wonderful, not quickly slapped on.
ReplyDeleteThe gum trees are impressive, as is your brother's view.
Andrew; I like the stobie poles much better than plain ones, it's like the painted silos all around the country, which also look better than plain ones. Not all stobie poles have flowers, some have other designs. I love our gum trees and wish I could see my brother's view for myself, but he's in WA.
DeleteI feel like I just went on a wonderful stroll. Thanks.
DeleteSusan Kane; you can stroll here anytime.
DeleteThose stobie poles are gorgeous! Here they paint those utility large boxes on street corners. You have inspired me to take some pics of them. Some are quite beautiful!
ReplyDeleteXO
WWW
Wisewebwoman; utility boxes here are also decorated. I should photograph a few.
DeleteThat is a stunning view from your mommy's brother's house. Watch only what is happening. It is younger out there.
ReplyDeleteRuby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3; it's a beautiful view and he gets to see sunsets every day now. The sunrise comes through the windows on the opposite side, but there are things in the way so he doesn't get to see the gradual lightening of the skies.
DeleteThe painted poles look lovely. That tree is amazing, they do some good things at times that's different as in growing. Love the view of your brother's new home, lovely sunset R. Lovely selection.
ReplyDeleteMargaret D; I like the poles. Some of our native trees are pretty amazing.
DeleteI must be blind or Perth has no stobie poles - they are clever and beautiful, I must look better next time (or ask your Brother?). Great plants, here still nothing in bloom.
ReplyDeleteIris; I don't remember about Perth, when I visited in 2013 I stayed in Fremantle. I'm sure they must have stobie poles, they're an Australian thing. We have wattle blooming here now, so Spring can't be far away.
DeleteI´ll have an eye open. Oh .... Hope Summer stays for a while here...
DeleteWhat a beautiful Sunday collection of photos!!
ReplyDeleteI really love those Australian flowers!!
Αh, you reminded me of Elephant Child—may she be well wherever she is,
she must have been a wonderful person...
Have a great week, River—take care!!
Katerina's Blog; thank you, I love our flowers too. We all miss Elephant's Child.
DeleteSuch beautiful selections. Part of me wants to go fill that old concrete bird bath with water.
ReplyDeletemessymimi; I think it gets water every time it rains, but otherwise stays dry. I think the people living there are too old and not caring for the garden anymore.
DeleteBeautiful series of photos, dear friend! Thank you so much for sharing!
ReplyDeleteLinda's Realaxing Lair; thank you for dropping in.
DeleteQue bonitas decoraciones. Son una belleza. Besitos desde España
ReplyDeleteNuria de Espinosa; thank you.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteNothing like a rain bow.
ReplyDeleteDora; I love rainbows but rarely see them.
Delete
ReplyDeleteI wish Sue was still here blogging.
The Happy Whisk; I think many of us wish the same.
Delete🩷🩷🩷🩷🩷🩷🩷🩷🩷🩷🩷
DeleteA very nice collection of photographs.
ReplyDeleteThe one showing the pretty pink bicycle made me smile ... I can remember grand-daughter having one very similar :)
All the best Jan
Lowcarb team member; I am looking forward to the twins getting bicycles, although not looking forward to the bumps and bruises that go with learning to ride.
DeleteThanks for your explanation of Stobie poles, unknown here, We have some metal ones looking more like mini-Eiffel-towers, but mostly the lines are underground ... I miss mine, as the swallows used to congregate there in autumn, but I do not miss the breaks in electricity from accidents in the wires happening regularly.
ReplyDeleteYour photos are a delight as always. The striated tree's the best, I think.