Sunday Selections #804
Long ago, Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections.
A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please.
Nothing rude or vulgar though.
And we don't mind at all if other bloggers care to join us.
In memory of Elephant's Child, the meme is now continued by myself and a few others. Andrew is one. Messymimi is another. Drop in to their blogs and have a look.
Wisewebwoman has also been joining us occasionally.
this not-so-perfect-picture-with-unecessary-vertical-lines, is one of several battery operated lights I have scattered around for when the power goes out, this one is on my fridge
and this is how much light it pts out when turned on fully, at half light it is still enough to see by and I have another one in the bathroom and a third out in the back porch
this one is a portable lamp, see the hook on the handle? This is a "camping lamp" able to be hung inside a tent. I don't go camping but this is very handy as I can carry it from room to room and have even used it outside when the neighbourhood has been blacked out, to check on elderly neighbours.
it uses four D size batteries, (not included and buying them cost more than the lamp did) and emits quite a decent light, though not for a very wide distance.
toddler Cinderella has lost her plastic "slipper" and her sock too. I hope someone came back for them.
what a great idea! an upturned empty hanging basket used to shield a baby plant. When the sun is too hot I have seen this with shade cloth hung over it and clipped to the support poles
a droopy bouquet of roses, all on the one main stem, which I find to be quite pretty still
spotted this in a carpark, Jurassic Park fan? Or from a place that does tours? There was no one around to ask..
a few more stobie poles
again with native Australian flowers and this one has bees too
these flowers look familiar, but I don't recall the name
I'm pretty sure this is Banksia, feel free to correct me if I am wrong
and this one is wattle flowers for sure.
finishing today with..
"Angels in Flight" aka windblown clouds.














You are well prepared for a blackout! Do you get them often? I'm afraid my preparations are a single handheld flashlight, although I do make sure the batteries are always working in it. I have a hand-cranked portable radio in a drawer in my bedroom, but I don't keep it powered up all the time. It's tedious to hand crank it. I figure I can do that if I need to at the time. Besides, if they're just going to be broadcasting about an impending nuclear war or something, I'd rather not know. Ignorance is bliss, as they say.
ReplyDeleteDebra She Who Seeks; blackouts here are rare, but it pays to be ready. I have a small radio which runs on batteries and I have those close by so I can put them in when needed.
DeleteThe portable lamp looks solid and reliable, put away in a spot the whole family knows about.
ReplyDeleteI don't know how often you lose electricity.. but in these days, we probably should prepare for losing all sorts of services eg petrol.
hels; bought from a nationwide hardware store, aka big green shed, it's sturdy and reliable and I bought the same for my kids too and the batteries. We rarely lose power but that one bad time several years ago made me want to prepare. Before the lamp I had candles but decided they were too dangerous with a frightened cat looking for safety. I don't drive so petrol isn't a problem for me, but worry about what other serices might "fail" these days.
DeleteThose lights are brilliant. I have a couple that I no longer need, once used for lighting the the cupboard where the washing machine and laundry trough are.
ReplyDeleteYou need to be experienced with children to understand how things can get lost when you are out and about.
Andrew; the lights do shed a good light, certainly enough to see and be seen, when checking elderlies in other flats. I'm guessing the shoe with sock fell off a pram, it happens sometimes on bumpy footpaths.
DeleteI have one of those power units charged up where you can plug all sorts of stuff into it. I find the phone light good on my phone. I have a few like yours though too as backup. As we age the danger of falling in the dark is heightened. Love the rest of your photos too.
ReplyDeleteXO
WWW
Wisewebwoman; I should get one of those units, "no-one" has one and says they are good, but when power goes out I can turn on the lamp and read or just go to bed. I walk very slowly around home when it is completely dark and feel my way with outstretched hands, I know where my furniture is and have only two rooms anyway, four if I include kitchen and laundry/bathroom. The biggest problem is stubbing my pinky toe. I have never used my phone "torch" incase it runs the battery down. I have three other torches instead, easily found as they are always in the same place.
DeleteGood selection of photos R. The lamp looks good - do you have the power go out often?
ReplyDeleteMargaret D; thank you, power very rarely goes out here.
Deletelighting is very important, especially with the days getting shorter.
ReplyDeleteRuby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3; on the other side of the globe, our days are getting longer now, though good lighting is still important.
DeleteYou sure made me laugh today!
ReplyDeleteI never thought the Cuban lady could hit me! (Really they are so beautiful and friendly in reality).
And then...
Ingo got candles for in case the power would go out (never happened here in my life!) - we are simple people, it seems... candles.
For the night I have a night-light like a kid, though, can´t sleep in the dark.
Yupp, we have such lamps on top! Must post them, I reckon! We just sat with one on the balcony yesterday! You can re-load the batteries, I can ask Ingo or send you a link but that would be Germany...
Poor Cinderella! I watch the Sunday-fairy-tale right now! The Goose Girl.
Ohhhh, Rexi! And such beautiful poles!!!
Have a great Sunday.
Iris; I like making people laugh. I also like candles, but when there is a cat leaping around a candle can be knocked over and cause a fire, so no more candles for me. I will buy some of the battery operated candles though, they look pretty on a windowsill.
DeleteI never needed a nightlight, and I sleep better when it is completely black. I would like to see all your lamps and candles.
Yes, actually a dumb idea Ingo had (we have torches, too) - wooden floor everywhere and I am clumsy!
DeleteLights on the way for SITAR, I guess :-)
Even if they don't do tours, that Jurassic Park sign sure draws attention.
ReplyDeleteAlex J. Cavanaugh; it certainly drew my attention. I really must watch the movies one day soon.
DeleteI love 'angels in flight' - just beautiful.
ReplyDeletejabblog; "Angels in Flight" was the first thing I thought when I saw those wispy clouds, it fits doesn't it?
DeleteWe often lose power. We watch the weather, and gather flashlight. These are terrific.
ReplyDeleteI do love your town tour.
Jenn Jilks; we almost never lose power, the most recent episode was when someone with a grudge flipped all the switches in the the mains box, easily fixed by me.
DeleteI wonder how Cinderella lost her shoe AND her sock?! Those clouds make a wintry-looking sky.
ReplyDeleteSteve Reed; I imagine the shoes and socks were removed because the day was hot and mothers often tuck the socks inside the shoes, if they were put on the hood of the stroller one could have bumped off easily. For me white clouds don't say wintry, grey and black ones do.
DeleteI'm a HUGE dino fan. Love the movies I even don't so much mind the sucky ones too. Yes, what's with those batteries. For sure a cha-ching.
ReplyDeleteThe Happpy Whisk; Batteries are like toilet paper, an essential no one wants to do without and manufacturers know this and bump up prices for huge profits. Of course we also need to factor in the cost of finding/mining the battery ingredients and manufacture of them.
DeleteI have never seen the Jurassic Park movies, though I do have them somewhere....
We do rechargables, which are nice. Some recharge with the sun, others go in the charger. Good point. I agree. They know these items are needed.
DeleteYou certainly are prepared, which is wise. We have power outages here sometimes and it's not fun.
ReplyDeleteI love the stobie poles, it would be nice if they'd do it here.
messymimi; always being prepared goes back to early childhood teaching for me, Mum never liked having to rush for anything so advance preparations were always made and I carried that through to my own kids.
DeleteI do like the stobie poles, so colourful.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Lowcarb team member; I would like to see more of them in ALL suburbs not just a few.
Delete