This is for Mary Moon who lives in Florida
I hope she finds it.
On her blog I mentioned that I recently had my sneakers re-heeled and she wondered how that was possible since only "high end" shoes can be re-heeled where she lives. unless I misunderstood.
I took a few photos:
these are my newest sneakers, not yet worn,
and this is what the soles&heels look like
on an older pair, you can see how the outside edge of the heel gets worn down, that's where my foot strikes as I walk, both feet-outside edge and when they get too far worn, my stride is "off" and I start feeling it in hips and lower back pain.
So I get them re-heeled.
here are my older white sneakers with the new black rubber heel, it doesn't match, but who cares? the shoes are now stable for walking.
see the name? Tough "good-year" rubber. These are the people who make car tyres. Look closely and you will see one edge already getting worn, I had these fixed quite some time ago and these are the shoes I wear all day every day.





Isn't it good that you can get shoes repaired, it sure makes a difference for the better, R.
ReplyDeleteMargaret D; and it certainly is far cheaper than buying new ones!
DeleteIt is good to know there is that option.
ReplyDeleteRuby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3; it's worth going to shoe repair shops and asking at least, for people on limited budgets it's cheaper to get shoes resoled or reheeled if the uppers are still good.
DeleteEsses consertos valem à pena! Ficam muito bons! beijos, chica
ReplyDeletechica; they are worth it, it means I can keep wearing my comfortable sneakers and keep the newer ones for when I need to look good and it is definitely far cheaper than buying new shoes just because the heels are worn down.
DeleteI didn't realise retreading trainers could ever be done. That's so good.
ReplyDeletejabblog; ask around at shoe repair shops, you might be surprised at what they can do.
DeleteYes, I had shoes... weeee... slippery. But they were too cheap to do anything - also the rest was falling apart. To "running", huh! And to recycling, when possible!
ReplyDeleteIris; I don't like slippery shoes and really cheap ones are no good for resoling, they just don't hold together well enough. My reheeled ones will get another two years now and they are already two years old.
DeleteI got NurseBabes now - not cheap but super comfy (with an "f") - actually made for nurses, of course. And so colorful. Pics are to come. Sometime...
DeleteGreat, if the rest of the shoe is ok. About six years ago, Ray had a failing sole reglued, quoted $30. When he got home and checked his bank details, he had been charged $35. He didn't bother to follow it up, but how annoying. A lesson learnt. The lads' crocs had to be recently replaced as the soles had lost their treads and become slippery.
ReplyDeleteAndrew; that's an annoying loss of $5. But overall cheaper than buying new shoes. Crocs are a type that cannot be resoled since they are made all in one piece I think.
DeleteI didn't know that runners could be reheeled either! Wow. Now I want to go look at the heels of my runners.
ReplyDeleteDebra She Who seeks; reheeling is quite common and if the whole sole needs replacing that can be done too as long as the uppers are in good enough condition and the wearer isn't fussy about style.
DeleteThat's pretty awesome! I really don't think I could find anyone around here who'd do that. There are only two small businesses that resole shoes in Tallahassee.
ReplyDeleteMs. Moon; thank you for visiting. Ask at the repair shops and show them my pictures, maybe one will at least try.
DeleteEx ballet dancers have the worst time with shoes, whether the shoes have leather or rubber heels. The outside edge of both heels falls apart within 6 months, long before new shoes are needed. Thank goodness for my shoe repair man.
ReplyDeletehels; ordinary daily shoes are bad enough, but actual ballet shoes worn for dancing are worn out extremely quickly, I had read elsewhere that dancers typically go through two pairs per performance. I wonder why the ex-dancers regular shoe heels fail so quickly though. It must be something to do with they way they step even when not dancing.
DeleteThat is brilliant. I could have used that service in my running days when I wore the heels out so fast and had to replace the expensive running shoes.
ReplyDeleteXO
WWW
Wisewebwoman; did you never go to repair shops and ask? I remember way back in early school days, almost everyone had repaired shoes. Men especially had soles or heels replaced to look decent for work, and of course working boots were repaired often too. School shoes would be resoled before handing down to the next child. This was back in the 50s and 60s.
DeleteI didn't know that could be done. Way back in the late '70s, I bought a product called "Shoe Goo" to apply to my worn-down rubber soles on Nikes. It worked well, but of course there was no pattern in the tread I replaced.
ReplyDeleteVal; Shoe Goo at least gave an option other than buying new shoes. Did you ever ask at shoe repair shops?
DeleteNo, I thought those shops back then only worked on men's dress shoes, or boots.
DeleteThat is a really good idea. It is tough getting good shoes. I've duct taped my work runners!
ReplyDeleteJenn Jilks; it is a good idea, I don't think duct tape would last very long, are the shoes worth getting properly fixed?
DeleteWe have a shoe repair shop which will do this here, in fact, we have two, but in both cases, it costs more than the cheap shoes cost in the first place. This is why so many shoes end up thrown away when they wear out, most people only resole or reheel very expensive shoes.
ReplyDeletemessymimi; I can't buy cheap shoes, they are just not good for my feet, so I buy the cheapest version of good sneakers and they are worth fixing.
DeleteInteresting! I have gotten good leather shoes resoled, but I find that tennis shoes are ready for the recycle bin by the time the bottoms are in need of repair.
ReplyDeleteKathy G; I guess it depends on what the uppers are made of. Tennis shoes are fabric? Tough fabric similar to canvas? I rarely see people wear those these days unless they play tennis. my sneakers are leather, although it is very cheap leather, but still good enough to be repaired with new heels.
Delete