Sunday Selections # 225



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.
4. hop on over to The Elephant’s Child to see more of her wonderful photos.
  Andrew often joins in too.

I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week I have a selection of photos NOT taken by me, instead these were taken by the lovely V, who is now my sister-in-law, when she and my brother R were on holiday in Europe a few years ago. 
They are there again right now, on their honeymoon.

These were taken in Hamburg (where I was born) and Bremen.  
I don't know what these buildings and places are, so there is no commentary. 
Although I'm sure some of you will recognise the Bremen Musicians.
































I love the old world look of most of these buildings and I'm fairly sure that Harbour is in Bremen.

Comments

  1. You were born in Hamburg? So was my father. And, since he had no family photos and refused to talk about his early life, I loved this glimpse of his history. I am fascinated by the 'piggy-back' sculpture too.
    I hope your brother and his wife are having a wonderful time this trip too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the front hooves of the donkey are shining from people rubbing them for good luck. I hope the luck wore off onto them. :)

    An interesting and nice array of photos...I've been taken on an early Sunday morning trip overseas and didn't even have to pack or leave home!

    Have a great week, River...cuddles to Angel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos. If I won Tattslotto I would be back in Europe in a flash. Hamburg is a long way north and so must get quite cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buildings with such age and history make any trip fantastic. I hope they have a marvelous time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE photos of old buildings in England, Scotland, etc., but my mind always wanders into the kitchens and bathrooms that are in those buildings and KNOW I could not live comfortably inside any of the. So photos are right up my alley. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE photos of old buildings in England, Scotland, etc., but my mind always wanders into the kitchens and bathrooms that are in those buildings and KNOW I could not live comfortably inside any of the. So photos are right up my alley. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just shown these pictures to Phil who was in Hamburg with the British Army in 1948. He remembers the devastation he saw resulting from the bombing by the Allied forces and feels no-one but the Germans could restore the damaged buildings to the magnificence that is seen in the city today. He didn't visit Bremen as that was in the American zone.
    Thank you for sharing these pictures and we hope your brother and his wife are having a wonderful honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elephant's Child; your Dad is also a Hamburger? The piggy back statue is the Brementown musicians; it's an old fairytale.

    Lee; Angel is very spoiled with cuddles. I didn't know about rubbing the donkey hooves for luck.

    Andrew; very cold up there, I'm glad we left. Aussie winters are cold enough for me. of course if we hadn't left, I'd be used to the ice and snow type of winter and think 60F is swimming weather (*~*)

    Susan Kane; they're sure to be on cloud nine. Last time they were on a mission, this time they're just having fun.

    lotta joy; I always wonder about kitchens and bathrooms too, this time I'm feeling glad I don't have to do any of the cleaning n them.

    Mimsie; R + V are sure to be having a wonderful time. I don't remember any of Hamburg myself, we left when I was six months old. I'm glad the buildings were restored instead of being knocked down and replaced with something modern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i doubt all the buildings were restored as in some areas they were flattened. I think what Phil meant was not only did they do a good job of restoring any that were restorable but also rebuilding in the old style as they were before. I guess you'd have to have seen it as he did to understand exactly what he meant. Remember it was a fire storm so you can imagine the destruction. No wonder so many of us hate wars of all kind. So many beautiful things destroyed not to mention the loss of lives. Goes back over the centuries.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs