Thursday Thoughts # 47 (aka: tell me a little about yourself)

"Lula was waiting on her stoop when I drove up. She was discreetly dressed in poison-green spandex pants and a shocking pink faux-fur jacket. You could stand her on a corner, in a fog, at midnight, and she'd be visible for three miles."

"Somewhere in the muck of grey matter between my ears I knew I should be forming a plan, but damned if I could do it. My mind was scurrying down blank paths in panic."

both quotes from Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich.

I'm currently reading "Murder on the Orient Express" by Agatha Christie.
Not something I'd normally read, but it's on my kindle and next in line.  I'm not sure yet if I'm enjoying it or not. I'll get through a few more pages before deciding whether or not I'll delete or finish it.

The index on my kindle is more than a few pages long and I've gotten tired of scrolling through it to find the one book I'm waiting to read.
I'd made the mistake of loading an entire usb stick of books (1700) plus those I'd downloaded from Amazon (bought and free).
Plus extras given to me by a friend; 2 usb sticks worth.
That's a lot of books!
I've been steadily working my way through them, deleting any that seem too tedious, or just aren't my idea of a good read. The index list is currently 1527 books long.
I plan to delete everything I have no interest in reading just yet, I'll start working on that tomorrow and when I've finished reading what I do like, I can go through the list and choose a few to put back on the kindle and have a go at them.

Now for the aka part of my title:

This is a repost from 2010, a short meme, only 13 questions, aimed at those who didn't know me back then. 
I'd been blogging for almost a month....

Saturday, May 29, 2010 


borrowing the borrowed meme


I took this from kelly at www.kelly.pegasuscreations.co/nz
Since she borrowed it herself, I knew she wouldn't mind.

(I haven't checked, but possibly that website no longer exists)

1. What's your middle name? 


Emma Maria; (one for each grandma)

2. How old are you? 


Ageless-as a river should be

3. Where are you from? Are you living there right now?


Originally from Germany, have been Australian since I got here.
I've lived in several states, but home is Adelaide and yes, I'm living here right now.


4. Is it cold where you are?


Define cold. 

If you mean snow and ice, then no, it isn't cold here. But it is quite late in our autumn (fall) and most people are now wearing jackets, gloves etc, so yes it's cold(ish) by Australian standards.

5. What's the time?


Hot chocolate time. Oh, you mean look at the clock? 5.20pm

6. What are you wearing?


An old worn out tracksuit that now doubles as pj's and a sleeveless polar fleece vest.

7. What was the last thing you listened to?


Trisha Yearwood on my i-pod.

8. What was the last thing you ate?


A tiny lemon tart from the local gourmet deli. It was a bit stale, so not worth the $2.20 I paid for it.

9. What was the last thing you watched on TV?


CSI amd CSI Miami last night. Everything since then has been dvd's

10. What's your favourite TV show? Why?


The Big Bang Theory. Because it makes me laugh. I do love to laugh.

11. Quick. Find a book, or something with text on it. Flip to a random page and post the second paragraph's first sentence.


"Mann could see by Riley's face that guilt was eating him up."

12. What was the last movie you saw? How was it?


Avatar. It's the same old "you've got something we want so we'll just take it" story, but it's
so very pretty to watch.


13. Do you think you have an accent? Where do people in your country speak with strong
accents?


No, I don't think I have an accent. But lots of people here do, from whatever country they've come from.

Feel free to borrow this, or not, your choice, but I hope you will and let me know in the comments, so I can zip over and learn a little more about all of you.

Comments

  1. Hi River,

    That's a lot of books!!

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never warmed to Agatha Christie. I prefer her Miss Marple books to the Hercule Poirot ones though.
    An interesting meme. And it is chillyish on this side of Oz at the moment too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The temperatures have suddenly dropped here - no planting today!

    An interesting meme, I enjoyed your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot imagine that many books, although my sister may be approaching that number. She has a tablet upstairs for reading in bed and a kindle down here, to read in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny I had read all of Agatha Chhristc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pressed the wrong button, I was saying I have read all her books and I did it when I was a young mum so early twenties but do not like the shows on TV much.
      I also like Robert Goddard now.
      Merle..............

      Delete
  6. Wow, that's a LOT of books on you kindle, but I'm glad to hear it. It means I probably have room for a lot more on mine. :)

    Dontcha LOVE the Stephanie Plum books? I especially like her grandmother. "Big Bang" is also one of my favorite TV shows. See? I'll betcha we'd be good in-person kinda friends. (The commute back and forth would be a real pain in the patootie,though.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plasman; many of them are too literary for me, I prefer more entertainment, fast action, mystery etc. I'm in the process of deleting most of them, all the ones about war or politics are going for sure.

    Elephant's Child; the two on my kindle are Hercule Poirot and I'm finding them annoying, so they'll be deleted without finishing.

    Jac; temps are dropping here too, the days are definitely cooler and mornings are beginning to feel a little frosty until about 9am.

    Joanne; when my brother sent me that usb with 1700 books on it I got all excited and loaded the whole lot without checking what they were. There's more than a few I'd have no interest in reading though, so I'm deleting probably half of what I have on there.

    Merle; I've tried to read Agatha Christie a few times, but just don't like the writing style. I only have two of hers and I'm about to delete them.

    Susan; my kindle is a 4GB and holds about 3000 books depending on length of story, so you'll have plenty of room should you wish to fill yours up. The thing that bothers me is if I want to read a book that is far ahead in the index, perhaps on page 100, I have to scroll through all 100 index pages to get to it. That's mostly why I'm deleting so many right now. Once I've read what is left, I can go through my files (the books are all on the computer too) and add back on a few at a time.
    You're right about that commute :( unless one of us owns a Lear jet we probably won't get together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My, you do have many electric books. I guess I did not read your blog from the beginning, but it can't have been too long after you started. I must have read some Agatha Christie, but I can't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Murder on the Orient Express is too much hyped, try "And then there were none" originally titled "10 little ni**ers" and changed for obviously reasons. That's been made into two films but often the black&white British version is shown on the ABC and it's the best.
    I like most of Agatha but only because the plots are so convoluted that it's easy to forget who dun it, makes them enjoyable to read again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrew; Far too many e-books, a lot of them not worth my time. My first post was May 10th 2010 or possibly May 17th, I can't be bothered checking, but it's five years old now. I'd been reading blogs for a couple of years before I started my own.

    JahTeh; darn, I've just deleted that one, but it's on my computer, I can read it here when I'm ready.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can guarantee you have an accent. Where we live, people do not have an accent. :)

    Considering my children are now on summer break, it's cold here, too. Not t-shirt and short weather yet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs