Sunday Selections # 191



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.
4. hop on over to TheElephant’s Child to see more of her wonderful photos.

 Andrew often joins in.
So does Jackie K 
and Kakka 


I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week I'm continuing with some photos of my front porch garden.

a gorgeous purple anemone, a little blurry, but what does one do when the breeze won't stop blowing?
 
this the first anemone I've ever seen in this deep blue colour.

pots of mixed colour freesias with tall red ranunculus behind.

I love the Ixia, (Ixias?)

the first I've ever grown.

I had no idea they would be this pretty. 
I've seen pictures of course, but they don't compare to seeing the real thing swaying on tall stems in the breeze.

They are definitely my favourite.

I only have 25 of these, so next year's bulb buying spree will have more of these for sure.

Did you know that bulb flowers close overnight and open again the next morning? I didn't. 

and now for something completely different,

the moon!


and look what I found half buried under a shrub in my daughter's yard>>

my terracotta pedestal,

and the non-matching dish which I had once glued to the top, or what I thought was the top of the pedestal.

I think this scrolled end is meant to be the top, it's certainly flatter than the other end, so that is where I will re-glue the dish, then find a place for it in the garden.









 

Comments

  1. Wow...that column is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Treasures all around. Beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. And Ixia are lovely aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy! You must have been up bright and early this morning, River! That's a lovely colourful greeting you get every time you exit or enter your front porch.

    You and Angel have a great week ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know Ixia. Very nice. Won't the pedestal fall over if it stands the correct way up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Sunday to you! I love your photos, and I do think you are right about the pedestal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I very fond of blue flowers .
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delores; it's just a little one about 30cm high, but it scrubbed up well once I brushed off the loose dirt and spiderwebs.

    Joanne; it's been a week of treasures.

    fishducky; it's all looking pretty nice right now.

    Elephant's Child; they're my new favourite flower, I have to get more.

    Lee; up at 5am with Angel. The post was scheduled sometime in the last week. I like coming home and seeing my porch all colourful.

    Andrew; I'm loving the Ixias. I'll bury the pedestal to half its length.

    Happy Christine; thank you and right or not, that's how it will be.

    Merle; my mum was too, but she preferred light blue. I love the darker shades.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such glorious flowers, just goes to show you don't need a huge garden to have beauty to behold each day. Never tried bulbs, not sure how they would do in Perth, but you and Elephant's Child are making me think that next year we should try some.

    Love that you have found your pedestal again, will you use it to highlight some flowers? Can't wait to see.

    I'm doing a follow for your Sunday Selections this seek. Thanks for hosting. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw that moon last night!
    You are such a talented gardener River - these shots are lovely. I love the colour of that second flower.
    Amazing how far the ancient Greeks reached in their empire building isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those anemones are a delicious rich colour, the blue is beautiful.
    You have a wonderful burst of colour at your place to welcome spring.
    And, the pedestal and dish - discovered just at the right time, ready for the warmer weather to come. The birds will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those flowers are beautiful and you've done a fantastic job with your garden this year. Look forward to more pics soon.
    I really must try a few bulbs next year. People don't bother much in Perth because of our water restrictions but just a few to see how we go.
    That pedestal is beautiful and look forward to also seeing that set up.
    Hope your weekend has been going well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kakka; I'm sure there are bulbs that would do well in Perth. Start with daffodils, they'll grow pretty much anywhere. I'm going to position the pedestal and dish fairly low and maybe just put water in it for birds.

    Jackie K; the Greeks certainly managed to get their building style spread around! That blue is amazing isn't it?

    Vicki; the first dozen or so anemones that opened were white, I was getting a bit worried they might all have been, even though the package said assorted. I was glad when the pinks and purples appeared, and now this glorious deep blue.

    Mimsie; I'm not looking forward to digging the hole for the pedestal, it will have to be fairly deep so it doesn't topple over, but it will look lovely once in the garden. I think you could try daffodils or jonquils, they grow even in Port Pirie and it is very dry up there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs