Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by EC and can be found here

This week's words are: 

1. unsuitable 

2. ladies 

3. didn't 

4. crocodile 

5. home 

6. cards 

and/or: 

1. life 

2. wall 

3. appeared 

4. voice 

5. both 

6. slipper

Here is my story:

“Where do you think you are going looking like that? Your attire is extremely unsuitable for ladies. You must retire to your room and change immediately!”

Grandpa’s voice was quiet and refined, but Georgia cringed a bit just the same. He was slipping into Alzheimer’s disease and while he could still be the fun loving Gramps she had grown up with, the Alzheimer’s version was very proper and genteel, but strict.

Georgia sagged against the wall with relief as Granny appeared, softly saying, “he didn’t mean it dear.” “I most certainly did,” said Grandpa, “and what’s more, I expect you to be home by ten pm, not one minute later!”

Agnes steered him away from Georgia with the promise of a game of cards later and “where is your other slipper dear? you’ve come out wearing only one.” “Couldn’t find it,” mumbled Gramps, who was most definitely Gramps again as he shuffled back to the living room and into his favourite chair. “Crocodile probably ate it,” he muttered to no one in particular.

Granny Agnes came back out to Georgia, “you look lovely dear, being a pirate suits you. Now go and have fun at this costume party. We both know this sort of thing will happen more often, but there’s no reason it should spoil your fun. I am glad your parents will be home next month though. They’ll be a big help with Harold at this stage in his life.”

Georgia hugged Granny and promised to be home by midnight.


Comments

  1. Poor Granny Agnes. And how nice that she is there for Harold - and for Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; Granny Agnes will have a lot more help when georgia's parents return home.

      Delete
  2. Granny will have her hands full keeping the peace between Harold and Georgia. Glad Georgia's parents will soon come home to lighten her load.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; Granny gets help soon enough and Harold isn't so bad yet. Not violent at least.

      Delete
  3. A sweet story of a not so nice condition of life. I hope Georia will have a nice evening. And Granny too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; thank you. Both of them have a nice evening, Harold tires and goes to bed early.

      Delete
  4. It's so difficult to work around it when someone has memory problems, but so worth while. Granny sounds quite tactful and up to the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; Granny has a lot of patience, she has worked in aged care and helped raise grandchildren.

      Delete
  5. Alzheimer is an awful condition. I would never wish it on anyone.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; I wouldn't wish it on anyone either.

      Delete
  6. Nice tale. Shame about Grandpa he is going to cause some grief for the young lady at times..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; there won't be too much grief, there are plenty of family members all ready to pitch in and help.

      Delete
  7. Very, very sad. My Grandma suffered Alzheimer´s and my sweet neighbor´s wife, too.
    Scary and sad.
    On our holiday (LOL, in Australia 1999) I got a book on this. The man was only in his early 40´s, Alzheimer´s. His wife wrote about that "journey". He was gone by then already. He did the weirdest things and, like my Grandma, paced a lot.
    Read that even kids can get it.

    You came up with a great story again - my mind was rather blank on the words! Boy, am I boring.

    Though now... some thoughts form! I might add something later today on this :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; it is a very sad condition, I am glad no one in my family had this. I did not know kids can get it. it gets scary when they get to the stage where you have to watch them every minute, like watching a baby newly able to walk.

      Delete
    2. My Grandma raised two Grandkids out of 14 - my Brother and me.
      She thought I´m his wife in the end. When he shortly went away she started crying in panic. I felt so helpless.

      But, thanks to you I found a croc long forgotten :-)
      That sure lifted my mood!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Victor SE Moubarak; thank you. It is a very sad disease and I wish it didn't exist.

      Delete
  9. I've only met a few ladies named things like Georgia or Dixie. None of them are from Maine or anywhere like that. But I suppose you can't get more Southern than Australia lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Elf Mom; I've never known anyone named Georgia, I don't know why that name typed itself, but I'm okay with it.

      Delete
  10. I like your use of "Grandpa" and "Gramps." It adds a layer to the story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs