Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Elephant's Child and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are:

1.he had a chip on his shoulder

2. best thing since sliced bread

3. with a cherry on top

4. she wants to have her cake and eat it too

5. everything but the kitchen sink

6. bringing home the bacon

Here is my story:

Dad had called a family meeting, insisting that all of us were present. This was serious. Dad only called meetings when something had gone wrong and needed to be fixed, or when making announcements that would involve everyone whether we liked it or not. 

Bob resentfully whined about being late meeting his mates, Dad told him to "knock that chip off your shoulder son and sit down", Jenny had to be hauled out of the bathroom with only half her hair up in rollers, "Daddy! my hair!" "You can finish it later Jen, I said 7pm and I meant 7pm," said Dad. I was younger and didn't mind leaving my homework for a family meeting.

We all sat and Mum came bustling in from the kitchen, wiping her hands on a towel. "Right then John, what's the big important thing this time?" Dad beamed and eyed us all with sparkling eyes. "You're going to love this one," he said to Mum. "After years of slaving, and bringing home the bacon, I have managed to save enough for us to have a holiday." 

We all just looked at him. The last "Holiday" had been a weekend at Grandma's for us kids and a weekend in a hotel for Mum and Dad. "No, no," Dad said, don't look at me like that. I mean a proper holiday. I've booked tickets and accommodation and we are all going to spend ten days at Port Lincoln. They've got shacks right on the beach and you can swim every day."

Silence ensued as we all gaped at one another. I broke it with "what about school Dad?" "I've booked us for the Easter Holidays, you won't miss any school Dave." "Do they have electricity in these shacks?' asked Jenny. "Well of course they do," said Dad. "What do you say Maureen?" he turned to Mum. We could all see she was already mentally counting suitcases and what she would need to pack. 

If I knew her as well as I thought I did, she'd pack everything but the kitchen sink! I also knew she would spend the next week washing every stitch of clothing we owned and making sure we had enough socks. Not that we'd need any on the beach. "Oh John, this is marvellous news! Ten whole days at the beach! I can't remember the last time I saw the ocean."


Comments

  1. Lovely. And it sounds like a family holiday everyone will enjoy - which isn't always a given.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I pictured this in the early 60s, when families were happy with simple holidays.

      Delete
  2. Now that is a proper announcement. Sounds like fun for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; it will be fun. I'd like several days at the beach myself.

      Delete
  3. Good story and I'm sure they all will have a lovely holiday..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like my Dad with being punctual! (Better 10 minutes early than 5 minutes late - got that).
    Hmmm, beautiful story, haven´t seen the ocean for too long, also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; my mum was the time-strict one, none of us was ever late for school or work or anything else.

      Delete
  5. I was expecting some unsettling news, maybe? But it's nice that a family actually sit down and talk about things instead of phoning each other. I like that th mom is already mentally preparing for the vacation. Good use of the prompts.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard of family meeting. But we never had them growing up and knew no one else had them.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; we didn't have family meetings, but I know families who did.

      Delete
  7. I'm a sucker for a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs