Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Charlotte and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. gratitude 2. thistle 3. a pod of dolphins 4. dance 5. pharmacy 6. crumbs 

and/or: 

1. fog 2. nutcracker 3. belt 4. mushrooms 5. room 6. remember

Also including Charlotte's colour of the month: golden yellow

Here is my story: (I skipped a few words)

“You have my eternal gratitude,” she said hoarsely as I helped her out of the thistle bed she had become entangled in. “You’re lucky I came this way,” I replied. “my name is Khoral Kai and you are..?” “I am Jennifer Amitri. I don’t suppose you have a little water with you? I’ve been stuck here for what seems like hours and my throat is as dry as a desert.” I handed her the spare bottle of sparkling water from my backpack and watched as she guzzled down half of it in one go. 

Finally stopping for breath, Jennifer thanked me again and asked, “I don’t suppose you saw a tourist bus anywhere along the way? I wandered away from the group, I saw a pod of dolphins a little way out and walked along watching as they did their dance amongst the waves. Then I fell on some loose gravel and landed in the thistles.” “Then you must be the Jenny they are all frantically calling for,” I said. “You wandered quite a long way, I passed the bus at least fifteen minutes ago. I was out here to see the dolphins also. Come along back down the trail now and we’ll have to hurry a bit, there’s a fog rolling in, see the low cloud over to the South? By the Lighthouse. That’s the fog and moving quite quickly too. 

“So it is,” she said. “I remember just how fast it comes in though I haven’t been here in many years now.” “We are almost at the bus now,” I said, perhaps one of the others has a brush you can borrow to get the bits of thistle out of your golden yellow hair.” Jenny gasped as her hands flew to her head. “Oh I hope I don’t look too unkempt! I suppose I should be glad I didn’t scratch my face, the thistles were quite thick.” “You do have one small scratch beside your ear,” I said. “I shall ask the bus driver to stop at the pharmacy for some antiseptic wipes and hope he isn’t too inconvenienced by it,” she said. “I have already made them terribly late by getting lost.” 

“I shall speak to him,” I said. “I think perhaps he will just be glad you are safe and sound.” “Thank you again. Coral is an unusual name for a man, do you spell it with a ‘C’ like the coral that grows and forms reefs?” “No, it is spelled with a ‘KH’, I said. “KHORAL”, I live in that Lighthouse which is now shrouded by the fog and look! here is the bus and all your friends.” “You are a long way from home, how did you get here? Do you need a ride home? The driver might not mind one extra passenger, the bus has plenty of room.” 

“We shall ask then,” said Khoral, “if my bicycle can be hooked onto the back of the bus. I would like to ride with you and your friends. It can be an adventure that I weave into a story to tell the village children at our next story-telling afternoon.”


Comments

  1. I am impressed! You're a good writer, River. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always nice to read more about Khoral Kai. Great use of the prompts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I plan to have him invite the ladies to the next Farmer's Market.

      Delete
  3. Love all of the choices that you made, River. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Khoral Kai always seems to turn up at just the right moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yippeeee, Khoral Kai is back! And helpful, intelligent and warm-hearted as ever - thank you for the morning-smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; he is always helpful and warm-hearted, that's the way people were on his planet.

      Delete
  6. We could all do with a Khoral Kai in our lives (I may have made that comment, before)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gratitude is sometimes like a thistle that you must grasp to pull from the earth. Once I swam with a pod of dolphins in a kind of marine dance. That night I ended up in a pharmacy seeking medication and crumbs of comfort. A fog descended upon the bay like dry ice clouds in a production of "The Nutcracker". I tightened my belt - the one that is decorated with golden yellow mushrooms and left the bar room of Elsie's beachfront tavern. It was a time I remember so well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; I wonder now what it was you drank that brought on such a dream. I like the idea of the beachfront tavern. Nicely done.

      Delete
  8. I played this time also. Sound like a wonderful friendship.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; thank you. I shall come and read your story.

      Delete
  9. As always you wove the words into a great tale. I think I have seen busses with bicycles on the back. Hope he was able to ride with his friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie; I have seen buses with bikes on the back too. This one probably had a rack for them so Khoral was able to get a ride and chat with the ladies.

      Delete
  10. I wonder where the bus was headed, and what adventure awaits Khoral Kai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; the bus was most likely headed back to whichever town it came from with the visiting ladies so Khoral has plenty of time for talking and telling them about his little lighthouse village and inviting them to visit.

      Delete
  11. Great story. The bus, where was it headed? What was the destination?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; they call it a tourist bus because it picks up people from the assisted living home and takes them on tours around the country side once a week, then after tea or coffee at a cafe they get taken back to the home.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs