Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Charlotte and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. dates 2. plan 3. a wedge of geese 4. door 5. shovel 6. enemy 

and/or: 

1. huff and puff 2. clock 3. treasure 4. a knot of toads 5. invention 6. sure

also included is Charlotte's colour of the month: golden yellow 

Here is my story:

A knot of toads squatted in the corner of the field, staring balefully at all who passed. Imprisoned by Aaron, he of the golden yellow eyes, they were to remain there until the last wedge of geese had flown south for the summer. They had caused far too much trouble in fairyland this season and Aaron was sure a spell of immobilisation would be good for them, at the very least they would come to realise their plan to take over the fishing pond had made them the enemy of all who swam and fished there.

They had also buried the door into the grassy hillock under piles of mud this morning as they dug out wider sections of the pond. Teams of pixies and elves took turns with the shovel to clear the door, the huff and puff of their exertion could be heard for many miles. Fairies flitted between the trees bringing down dates for the teams to eat between digging shifts.

Aaron watched the diggers and wheels began to turn in his head. An invention was forming in his mind. Some kind of digging machine must be possible he thought. A treasure surely worth working towards, but not today. The last shovel full of dirt was thrown aside and the door to the interior was finally pulled open just as the clock inside struck six. ‘Hooray! Hooray!” shouted the diggers. “It’s dinnertime!” They hustled off to the pond where they pulled up buckets of water to clean themselves off before rushing to the tables where the gnomes (it was their turn) were setting out the daily feast.


Comments

  1. Thrown head over heels into this funny environment, I love it. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great - and I could picture it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; stories are better when you can picture them, thnak you :)

      Delete
  3. Well you had me at knot of toads. Nicely done, River.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Shife; I had no idea at first what I would do with a knot of toads. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. the word Hillock is something I'm not aware of.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; a hillock is just a very small hill, like a bump in a field, think about it like the grassy knoll in the Kennedy assassination.

      Delete
  5. Wonderfully done! I do hope the toads have learned to behave by the time their "time out" is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I have a feeling the toads will move on and never come back. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Now I wonder what pixies, fairies, gnomes, and elves eat for supper! And if they've ever contemplated toad-legs for their feast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Va; maybe pancakes and fairy bread. Never toad legs, but an occasional leg of lamb might come their way.

      Delete
  7. Very very nice work! (https://tentativelytasmanian.blog/)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I very much go with Val - hopefully not toad-legs, brrr.... Interesting approach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; never toads legs and never frog legs either. Thank you.

      Delete
  9. I like a bowl of Egyptian dates at Christmas and it's always my plan to accompany them with a wedge of golden yellow "Geese" cheese. However, when I open the fridge door ready to shovel my chosen grub down my neck, I usually find that the enemy have got there before me. I huff and puff into the living room ready to clock every member of my family with my old cricket bat for stealing my exotic cheese - that is, I swear, a tastebud treasure. They sit there like a knot of toads staring at the invention known as television but I am always sure they are just trying to hide their guilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; I eat dried dates and sometimes chop them finely to stir into my morning porridge. Great story :)

      Delete
  10. Once more your imagination has gone beautifully wild.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs