Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by River (that's me) and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. threadbare 2. season 3. disconnected 4. everybody 5. unusually 6. mysteriously 

and/or: 

1. excruciating 2. public 3. safe 4. gained 5. roof 6. lucky

Also including Charlotte's colour of the month, antique pink.

Here is my story:

A public meeting had been called and Khoral Kai was to address the people gathered under the newly finished roof of the Town Hall. As soon as everybody was seated he tapped the microphone to get their attention. “I have been noting the weather forecasts,” he began, “as I am sure many of you also have been, the season is predicted to be unusually cold this autumn and winter will be excruciating, particularly for those without enough resources. Here in our little village we are lucky enough to have safe and warm housing for all and hopefully we won’t become disconnected from the internet or electricity during any storms.”

Many children gathered by the snacks table exchanged worried glances at each other at that thought. No internet! Yikes! Mutterings about climate change were also heard.

Khoral went on, “I do know a few of you have been busily knitting and quilting to help replace any clothes and blankets that have become threadbare at the nursing home where Old Pete now lives and he tells me that some of the older quilts have mysteriously disappeared from the clotheslines. This has also gained the attention of our local police force and we now ask for volunteers to discreetly take walks around that area in hopes of catching the culprit. If he or she is in desperate need, we can help.”

Nods and mutters showed that everyone agreed with this idea and several hands were raised as people volunteered their time. “Might I also thank Erica Swensen for the delightful antique pink carnations standing at each end of the snacks and tea and coffee tables,” Khoral said, causing Erica to blush to almost the same shade as her flowers.

Comments

  1. Khoral Kai advising the people in his usual, calm manner. No-one will panic while he's around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; thank you; he does know how to keep things calm.

      Delete
  2. Well written. Stealing threadbare quilts from a clothesline does indeed indicate poverty on the part of the thief, of whatever kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean Jeating; thank you. That is a definite indication of great need.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you. I think the world needs several Khorals, at least one per country.

      Delete
  4. He gives advice like a wise grandfather. What a treasure to a community he would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; he is wise, having lived many many years. On his original planet people aged differently and while he appears to be in his fifties on Earth, he is well over 350 in Zordax years.

      Delete
  5. Brain working today R.
    I was on the ROOF when this EXCRUCAITING pain in my side engulfed me. People were sitting watching the sea as they drank their coffee, thank goodness for being in a PUBLIC place because I was thinking someone will come to my aide. How LUCKY could I be than if I were stuck out in the middle of nowhere with no phone reception or people, it would not be a SAFE feeling. I certainly GAINED a couple of friends that day, they came into the hospital to see me on several occasions after my operation. You see I had had appendicitis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D: I love this - and am glad that you found some new friends - and the help you needed.

      Delete
    2. Margaret D; thank you for joining us with your excellent story. I'd be glad of public assistance at a time like that too.

      Delete
  6. I wish we could clone Khorl Kai and distribute the clones where need arose :) He is a great alien!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me in smiles reading the name already :-)
    Yes. What would we do without internet. I could not even work.
    Your concept of "Neighbourhood Watch" once really saved us near Dongara!
    Yes, I love to help and hate to get mentioned.
    You wonderfully captured the words again! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; thank you. I remember the time before I had a computer, I was working in factories so didn't need one, but I had so much fun discovering the internet and blogs when I did get one. I don't think I could work from home with it though, I am too easily distracted and not smart enough to figure out problems and fix them like you do.

      Delete
  8. Khoral, is wonderful thinking of others.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; that's the way he was raised on his home planet which was destroyed by an asteroid while he was visiting Earth.

      Delete
  9. With volunteers keeping their eyes open, it shouldn't be too hard to find out who's taking those quilts. They would be awkward contraband to transport. The community seems like it would reach out to such a thief, rather than exact swift punishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; yes, they will help whoever is in such need they are stealing threadbare old quilts.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs