Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by River (that's me) and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

"that's not a good idea" "I know but it's the best bad idea I've got" 

and/or: 

1. fire 2. time 3. rose 4. coins 5. peanut butter 6. shouting

Also including Charlotte's colour of the month Antique Rose 

Here is my story:

A loud crash followed by the shouting of some rather inventive words had Sharon racing into the kitchen. Ben stood surrounded by broken glass and an oozing river of pretty antique pink icing. “It just slipped right out of my hands!” he said, red-faced and sweating. He’d spent all afternoon baking batches of brownies for the cake stall at the school fair and now declared they would just have to be sold naked as the last of the icing sugar had been in the mess that now covered half the floor. “You can’t sell them naked,” said Sharon, “the instructions clearly say ‘frosted brownies’ will be on sale for one dollar each. They are raising money for costumes for the school play.”

They both stared at the floor as Jack, their dog, began licking up some icing. “Quick,” said Ben, “get him away from that, there’s broken glass in it.” Sharon tugged Jack’s collar and lured him outside with the promise of a treat. Ben began swiping at the edges of the icing, drawing the whole mess to a neat pile which he then scooped into the bin. “I’ve got it!” he shouted to Sharon, “peanut butter.

“As icing? that’s not a good idea Ben,” she said. “I know, but it’s the best bad idea I’ve got right now. All the shops are shut, there’s no way to get more icing sugar this late at night and the kids are expecting to bring the brownies to school in the morning.” “I guess it could work,” said Sharon. “We do have that new giant size jar of the stuff.” They glanced at the clock, “plenty of time still,” said Ben. “Do you still have that icing kit with the fancy nozzles? I could make some with a peanut butter rose and some with little peanut butter stars, woo-hoo! I’m on fire now!”

Sharon searched the pantry for the kit and rinsed the tube and nozzles in case they had gathered dust, while Ben beat half the jar of peanut butter with some softened butter and within an hour they stood admiring the trays of frosted brownies. “I think they’ll sell well,” said Sharon. “Watch those coins come rolling in,” said Ben. Once the frosting had set the brownies were packed into cupcake carriers for easy transport.

Maze (Maisie) and Josh were big enough to manage them, but Sharon and Ben would walk along with them, just in case something unplanned happened.

Comments

  1. Ooer, peanut butter icing . . . the something unplanned might be anaphylactic shock . . .
    Great thinking, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was an excellent idea! As Jabblog said, though, I'd admit there is peanut butter in the mix, just in case someone is allergic.

      Delete
    2. Jabblog; I hadn't thought about any allergies until after I'd posted this, I think they's be smart enough to put a warning notice at the sales table.

      Delete
    3. messymimi; yes, a warning is a good idea.

      Delete
  2. Definitely good thinking - and I suspect they will make lots of money. Great use of your prompts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; they'll certainly draw the peanut butter lovers.

      Delete
  3. Clever story! Also giving an insight through what parents go extra for their kids! Times have changed. When I was young there were no such things. Parents weren´t involved in after-school-stuff. Or rather: There was no after-school-stuff.
    My Brother and his wife are now. Be it bazaars or like in your case raising money with cakes. It must be fun for the kids, but reckon they certainly take it for granted.
    Good that times change for the better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; I remember baking things for the cake stall at the school fete, but not every year. Most other mums did too, so it didn't matter if I didn't. I don't remember such things from my childhood either.

      Delete
  4. Fab story and fast thinking; as always I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; thank you. I wish I was a fast thinker.

      Delete
  5. Very nice work, River! (tentativelytasmanianblog.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MedicatedMoo; thank you, there's a new one here every Friday.

      Delete
  6. That was a clever replacement to keep the brownies from being naked! Good thing they stopped Jack from "helping" with the cleanup of the floor frosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; it seems like a good idea, and most people like peanut butter, though I've never tried it on brownies myself.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs