Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Sean Jeating and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. art 2. awe 3. dreamscape 4. face 5. moonlit 

and/or: 

1. breathless 2. me 3. oxygen 4. tanka 5. you

Also including Charlotte's colour of the month: dahlia yellow

Here is my story:

The year was 2323. The people leaving the new “art” exhibition had faces filled with awe and wonder. Janet nudged Nathan, “look how happy they seem, we have to see what’s in there!”

Nathan grudgingly paid for the tickets and they entered the building to the soothing sounds of lullaby music. Nathan snorted, “hmmpf” and Janet elbowed him to “be quiet and give it a chance.”

The walls were hung with “photos” of “children” at various ages, available for purchase for those who wanted a family, with a notice stating that you could start with a “baby” and exchange it year by year (for a small fee) until you had a school age youngster.

With the world being so over crowded, for ten years now real babies were no longer allowed to be born, people were routinely injected with contraceptives, and companies such as this one were springing up in every country. Nathan looked at Janet, “remember what we agreed. Fake babies are just no substitute for the real thing, we agreed, no children and that includes fake ones, no matter how lifelike.”

Janet nodded, stating that she would still like to see the Dreamscape exhibition. They entered the room and Nathan said “Oh I’m breathless! Find me an oxygen tank!”  “Be serious!! Janet hissed. “You have to admit it is nicely presented.” And it was. The walls were lined with cots, each holding a peacefully slumbering baby with a pale spotlight giving a moonlit look to each tiny face. Above the cots the walls were painted in different shades of blues, with wisps of clouds scattered here and there, tiny dahlia yellow spots from the ceiling indicating the stars of night time.

“Haven’t seen stars in a long time,” said Nathan, “there’s so much pollution and smog these days.” “I remember stars,” said Janet. “But look at the babies, they look so real, it’s hard to believe they are robots.” “They do look real,” said Nathan. ‘but remember, they are programmed and will sleep, cry and do regular baby things on a set schedule, not at all like a real child who will grow without a yearly replacement.”

“And a real baby would be more like us, these replicas would all look similar. Now that I have seen them, I can see why those others felt the awe, these are babies and most women want one at some point.” Nathan looked at her as she continued. “Lucky for you, I’m not most women,” she said and he let out a sigh of relief. 


Comments

  1. What a grim vision of the future! The sad thing is that it could all come true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; we have to hope it doesn't come true.

      Delete
  2. This is an incredibly dystopian snippet - and sad to say more than possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; perhaps we should begin now and limit the size of families like China did?

      Delete
  3. Phew, what a look at the future - I hope this never comes true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. Which movie triggered this dystopian vision?

      Delete
    2. Charlotte; I also hope it doesn't come true. The movie was from way back in the late sixties or early seventies and I don't remember the full title but it had the word Zero in it.

      Delete
    3. You are right. Z.P.G. is / was the film's title, Zero Population Growth.

      Delete
    4. Sean Jeating; I went back to IMDb and checked on Zero Population Growth and I remember that one too. It's possible I remembered different bits of each one when writing my story. It was produced in 1972.

      Delete
  4. If we ... "we" continue to treat Mother Earth like that it might come true.
    Luckily I would not want one "baby", either, but poor Ingo...
    There certainly was a The Simpsons-episode on this subject. Bart was in coma and the family just got a substitute. That "boy" could do anything... in the end Bart won. Kinda.
    When last have I seen the stars properly here in Braunschweig (near to never)... I really look forward to our train ride from your place to Perth.
    We hope for some stops at night. Ingo will take proper gear to take pics of what we saw in 1995 and 1999! We took it "for granted" after a while, in your Outback. But we never ever ceased to admire it, though!!!
    My Brother made The Southern Cross as jewelry pendant for me.
    Long story short... polishing it in the cellar it flew away. Mum, him and I were on our knees... nothing...
    "We" pollute the planet and sometimes it seems it does not matter if we follow the rules with paper/plastic etc, etc...
    Very forceful written.
    Do you publish other than here? If not, you really, really should!
    On Khoral Kai as well as on subjects like these.
    You could "wake up" some people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; I do not publish anywhere else but here. I remember that Simpsons episode a bit and I think I would never want a "robot" child no matter how lifelike.
      So sorry your Southern Cross was lost, can your brother make a new one?
      I don't look at the stars often enough, we do tend to take them for granted when they are always there.

      Delete
    2. You do know you could make more people happy publishing a book?
      On the other hand... more precious to know where to find your stories!
      Why not make an extra-page here with them?
      Haha, no. I think Bro would get very frustrated (again!!!) if I asked him to make a new Southern Cross.
      No. I would always see the three of us on our knees in that darn cellar, too.
      Bet it flew into one of the many boxes and some happy fellow found it and never knew what it was.
      When you see it... say hi from my family and I, OK?

      Delete
    3. Iris; I did start to make an exytra page with my stories, but all I have on there are several chapters of "Tom's Story" which doesn't have a proper title yet. I haven't added any more to that story for a long while. I did plan on it being a book but I hit a 'writer's block' on it.

      Delete
    4. Oh, this is sad. Well, above all blogging should be fun!

      Delete
  5. What a fine piece of writing! They might eat Soylent Green, then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean Jeating; I hope not! I remember that movie quite well. I may even have a copy on a usb somewhere.

      Delete
  6. This is such a chillingly bleak passage.

    NEW POST:https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/10/retirement-dilemma-selling-your-home-for-care-costs.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tickets to the exhibit were much cheaper than a baby, real or robot-bought. Nathan should be a little more cooperative while browsing, considering how he has avoided the alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I think that's just the way Nathan is all the time, but it isn't in a mean way.

      Delete
  8. All art fills me with awe. Visiting a decent gallery is like walking through a dreamscape with your face somehow moonlit. Sometimes I feel breathless on the way home, making me think I need extra oxygen. Back in my turret I often compose a tanka or two as I think of you in your dahlia yellow dress that day we visited The National Gallery so many years ago now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; some art fills me with awe, a lot of art I simply don't understand, though I admire the skills needed to produce it. Very nice use of this weeks words.

      Delete
    2. Have you noticed that I always use the words in the order in which they are presented?

      Delete
    3. YP; I did notice that. Charlotte tries to do the same with her entries.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs