Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Sean Jeating and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. consider 2. rather 3. superstitious 4. paraskevidekatriaphobia 5. table 

and/or: 

1. bigots 2. different 3. gender 4. hyperbolise 5. teeth

Also included is Charlotte's  colour of the month Dahlia Yellow.

Here is my story:

Sean approached his father’s home office with a puzzled look and a piece of paper in his hand. Knocking gently, his father’s voice answered, “come in son, how can I help you?” “Our teacher wrote this word on the blackboard and asked us all to find out what it means,” said Sean. “That’s a mouthful, a bit like alphabet soup,” said his dad. “I’ve never heard of it, but why don’t you just google it?”  Sean said glumly, “I’m not allowed to use the internet for a week, remember? Mum said it will be longer if my grades don’t come up. It’s such an old-fashioned punishment! It’s unfair.” Kevin typed in ‘paraskevidekatriaphobia’ on the google page. “There you are,” he said to Sean. “It’s a fear of Friday the 13th.”

“Why would anyone be afraid of Friday the 13th? And what about any other day that falls on a 13th? What makes a Friday so special?” asked Sean. “Consider the source,” said Kevin. It has “phobia” right there in the word and phobia means great fear. These sorts of things were very common a couple of centuries ago. People were rather superstitious about a great many things that we no longer believe in.” “Like what?” said Sean. “I suggest you go to the history books for information, you’ll need to look as far back as the twentieth century and further, it makes for interesting reading, I think you’ll find some fascinating tid-bits to share with your classmates.”

“Like what?” asked Sean again. “Well, way back then, people were afraid of anything that might be a little different from what they were used to, or anything new that they didn't understand. There were people called “bigots” who tended to hyperbolise over any and all differences and stirred up all kinds of trouble,” said Kevin. “There was great superstition about the number thirteen even without the added worry of a Friday, tall buildings were built and the floors were numbered without a thirteen being included, people would have dinner parties and have twelve or fourteen people but it was considered bad luck to have thirteen sitting around your table, some really weird things back then were considered bad luck.”

“I’d heard about some of the kerfuffle about gender differences back then, but none of this other stuff,” said Sean. “Maybe I’ll ask mum to lift the internet ban just for tonight so I can research and do a few printouts. Where is Mum anyway?” “Down on the beach, she felt the need for wind and waves and salty air and took off right after breakfast. She should be back soon, this sort of thing is what she studied for years, ask her about black cats and ladders. But first go and brush your teeth, they look like your mum’s yellow dahlias. What have you been eating?” “Cheetos,” said Sean with a big grin. One of those old-fashioned things that made it this far into the future.”


Comments

  1. Very neat! Well written, well done:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; thank you, I did puzzle for a bit over how to use those words.

      Delete
  2. Well written! It's uplifting to read a well written story before I haul myself to the kitchen to come up with dinner for Thursday evening ;) I hope Sean's mother will lift the ban for his study.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; thank you. I'm sure the ban will be lifted for a school project, but the video games will still be banned until his grades are better.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this - and am glad to see that the birthday boy did too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friday the 13th is my lucky day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike; I've never had any trouble with the day, but no good luck either, although having nothing bad happen could be seen as good luck.

      Delete
  5. Before I read your story even I wrote mine (see Friday) because and admit... I googled "Triskaidekaphobia", LOL! And there you had me. My brain had an idea. And that needed to get out.

    I like your story very much!
    What a great, intelligent, loving yet strict Dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; I googled triskaidekaphobia too, it's a fear of 13, which doesn't make any sense to me. Perhaps I belong in that future world where superstitions are a thing of the past.

      Delete
    2. That must be far into the future, I guess. As long as people can make money with it...
      The war-makers often use this, too... So... to the Dad of your story :-)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Jenn Jilks; me too! I restrict myself to one bag a year.

      Delete
  7. I consider phobias to be rather silly and rooted in superstitious nonsense. Take paraskevidekatriaphobia for example - fear of Friday 13th which happens to be today's date. I once saw a scientific table which proved that disasters large or small are as likely to happen on Friday 13th as on any other date or day.

    Typically, bigots have a different view, often connected with their gender. They are prone to hyperbolise and tend to have dahlia yellow coloured teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; An excellent use of the words, and yes, I rescued you from spam jail.

      Delete
  8. My offering may have gone to Spam. Please check Elsie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apparently, the blackboard also made a resurgence in the future! It always works, even if the fancy-schmancy technology is broken, or the internet is down. I hope somebody managed to preserve actual books as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; blackboards will always be around as far as I'm concerned. Books too.

      Delete
  10. Nicely done! Yes, no video/internet that isn't about school research for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; no internet wasn't the solution for a family memner in real life, but video games were banned until grades improved in all subjects.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs