Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by ME and can be found right here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. tinkering 2. vagabond 3. dreamed 4. sometimes 5. running 6. choose 7. Sunday

Also including Charlotte's colour of the month: Olive Green

Here is my very short story:

“Joel! Joel, stop tinkering and get out from under that truck!”

“What is it Grandma?’ said Joel. “It’s Sunday and we are running late. Just look at you in those rags, you look like a vagabond! You need to get changed for Church.”

“We won’t be late if you let me finish working on the truck, I’m almost done. You don’t want us to break down on the highway now do you?”

“I suppose not,” said Grandma. “I’ll go and choose my handbag for the day, I think the new olive green one will go well with my rose pink suit.”

“I remember the days I dreamed of a brand new truck,” thought Joel as he tightened bolts and checked the oil. “But I wouldn’t have learned this much about repairing them. Sometimes though, I still wish…”


Comments

  1. Nice one. A new truck is still a dream. I hope Joel gets one, but not before he's real good at repairs, new trucks get old too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; thank you. Joel gets his new truck soon after he gets his first job.

      Delete
  2. Nice job, River. Gotta go and pick out my handbag for the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Shife; thank you. What colour handbag did you choose?

      Delete
  3. Sound like a story from people who might of lived in 50's or 60's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like my cars! Nice story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I thought of you when I wrote it. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Nice one River..Grandma is lucky to have a choice of handbags to choose from :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; I know several grandmas who have plenty of handbags.

      Delete
  6. In life it can be easy to feel that one is merely getting along - just tinkering with time. When Elsie was a vagabond surviving on the mean streets of Adelaide, she dreamed sometimes that a day would arrive when she would be in the running to become Governor of South Australia. One Sunday morning when she was begging in Botanic Park, she happened to bump into Frances Adamson who was wearing an olive green jogging outfit. The great lady invited Elsie to visit her office the next morning to find out what it takes to be a governor. It was the beginning of a remarkable journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; nicely done. I hope your fictional Elsie does well. The real one wouldn't want to be Governor, there's too much work involved.

      Delete
  7. Clever, cute story (what else ;-)...). And so true. Ingo - unlike me - can repair bikes and sew, because he had to learn this as a kid. Still comes in handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; thank you. I can sew but not as well as my dressmaker mother and dressmaker mother-in-law. I did used to make dresses for my daughters and pyjamas for all the kids, even a few dresses and skirts for myself, but not anymore, fabrics are too expensive now and t-shirts are easier to buy and wear. I used to repair unctures on my bike when I was a kid, but now I don't even ride.

      Delete
  8. I think Joel still has time to achieve his dream. He will probably continue to tinker on other things afterwards. Some people are just born tinkerers. It comes naturally to them, and they enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; that's true, Joel is young and still in school, but then he gets a job as a mechanic and his future really takes off. In a good way.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs