Sunday Selections ( a bit later than usual, oops)

**I do apologise, I was sure I had already scheduled this**

 Long ago, Kim of Frog ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections. 

A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please. 

Nothing rude or vulgar though.

And we don't mind at all if overseas bloggers care to join us.

The meme is now continued by Elephant's Child and I occasionally join in as do a few others. Andrew is one.  Messymimi is another. Drop in to Elephant's Child and have a look.

as you can see, we are still in Semaphore, because I took so many photos 😁

walking down a footpath trodden so many times when I lived there

on the left is a set of 16 steps, with another set at the corner of the block

leading up to this lighthouse type structure, it isn't actually a lighthouse, but some type of warning device for the coastline in war times I believe. I could be wrong, I haven't researched.

to the left at the top of the steps is a Mexican Cantina, which was a different restaurant when I lived in the area. 

the lawned area around the lighthouse is a popular place for picnicking or just sitting and enjoying the view

there is a paved area with a bench seat for those who don't like sitting on grass

the view to the left

and to the left again but a bit closer in. The pines you see are Norfolk pines, planted in abundance along most of the coastline around Australia, as they grew straight and tall, so the trunks made excellent replacements for broken masts on old sailing ships.

and looking over to the right.

the lawn slopes down to the footpath, not too steeply, but steeply enough for  dropped apples to keep rolling.

on the corner of Semaphore Road and The Esplanade, below the lighthouse is this old midden, which has now been bronzed (?) or covered in something to make it more able to withstand weather.

I took photos from each side as I walked around it

all sides have something interesting to look at


I like the amount of detail still visible after all these years.


Comments

  1. What a delightful series. Thank you for taking us there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you, we'll be there again next week.

      Delete
  2. the midden thing is pretty amazing
    ! It would be fun to draw from all angles ., sitting in the sunshine and salty air. I love the pines, elegant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda Sue; if only I could draw. I love the pines, they will always mean home to me, home of course being all of Australia, since other states also have them on their coastlines.

      Delete
  3. Apologies not needed, River. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; thank you, I was sitting here mentally smacking myself upside the head because I spent two days last week scheduling the month, but somehow forgot this week.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the delightful tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messyimi; you're welcome, there's more next week and the week after.

      Delete
  5. It must be catching. I forgot to set the time for my post yesterday.

    Turns out Norfolk Island Pine trunks were not so good. Captain Cook wrote in his journal, ‘tall, straight and strong pine trees found here are ideal for ships’ masts and yard arms.’

    However, I have heard this before, 'when the island was occupied in 1788 by convicts transported from Britain, it was found that Norfolk Island pine trees were not resilient enough for those uses (masts) and the industry was abandoned'.

    In the interests of accurate research, did you drop an apple?

    The sculpture is rather amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stones used for all the built constructions is beautiful.

      Delete
    2. Andrew; I did not know that about the pines being unsuitable, they must have tried a few times to fid that out. No apples were dropped on that lawn but I saw a child drop a plastic ball and not be able to catch up to it, it went right off the lawn over the footpath and onto the road.
      Those stones are beautiful.

      Delete
  6. A great journey back - why did you leave?
    Boy, would you be disappointed if I did the same! My old hometown.... nah. Booooring.
    Those pine trees ... they seem so European and hence out of place. I prefer the... we called them "broccoli-trees" :-)
    We had "Tres Amigos". Oh, I miss that restaurant!
    A happy Sunday to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; I only lived there a short time with an alcoholic husband, there was an incident and I left him. I would love to live there again, but it is too expensive now. I have no idea which trees would be called "broccoli". Can you maybe post a picture if you have one?

      Delete
    2. You were very brave back then.
      I´ll look for a pic, it must´ve been 1995 or 1999, they reminded us of broccoli, I bet they have a different name ;-)

      Delete
  7. Looks like a nice place to visit, or live in. Happy New Year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor SE Moubarak; it is a very nice area, but fast becoming too expensive.

      Delete
  8. Clever to make the midden weather resistant turning it into art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; the midden has been there for years, it was there when I lived there, but I think the weather resistant coating is newer.

      Delete
  9. I popped over from Kim at Out my Window. What lovely photos- more so as we're in a Minnesota cold front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM; welcome to drifting and thank you. I've read about Minnesota in the past, I wouldn't like to be there right now. I can barely take the cold of our much milder Australian winters.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for the tour River, what a lovely spot you lived in. That midden is intriguing indeed, what a thing to do, covert it to a sculpture!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW; there's more next week. I loved living there and that midden certainly is something to look at.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for this trip to a "home-place". I too would like to sit there and draw - although I would prefer the not-lighthouse strudcture for a motive. It is a very peaceful and beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; I do wish I had lived there longer, perhaps I could have stayed, but I chose to move on.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Joanne; I like to remember the good parts and when I visit now, I don't think about what happened to make me leave.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs