Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Hilary Melton-Butcher and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. chrome yellow 

2. shell 

3. experience 

4. art 

5. toxic 

6. coincidence 

and/or: 

1. frost 

2. turnip 

3. bevy 

4. jaunt 

5. map 

6. daffodil

Here is my story:

Continuing on from last week:

As we ate, Terry told me about the people he had met at the market. It was spring now and he’d had quite a long conversation with one of the farmers, who mentioned now the frost was off the turnip field it would soon be time for daffodils to start blooming. Thick green shoots were already appearing in his wife’s pots, ready to be sold in a month or so and would he like Terry to reserve a pot or two?

Of course Terry had said yes, he knows how much I like daffodils and a couple of pots either side of the front door would look lovely. He had then moved on to the stall where a bevy of young girls were trying on shell necklaces, made by Paige Thompson, who had gathered them from a beach somewhere on one of her summer holiday jaunts overseas, and learned the proper method of cleaning and stringing them.

“Before I forget,” said Terry, pulling a folded sheet of paper from his pocket, “here is a map of the market, the stalls are always in the same place, so this will help you next time you go.” “Thank you,” I said, opening it for a quick look and noticing right away a new stall with Art supplies. “Perhaps I will come with you next week, if you don’t start so early in the morning. You know my old bones need time to warm up.”

Having a mouthful of quiche, he just nodded for a bit and after swallowing he mentioned another experience. “That man who lives in the lighthouse, Khoral Kai, is his name, he was there too, I think he was with the girls choosing necklaces, after the success of his Twilight Terpsichoreans show, I think he may be going to put on another one. He is very talented.” “I remember that show,” I said, “it was beautiful.”

Getting up to take our plates to the sink, I said “I’ll just mark the calendar for next week, I’d like to have a look at the Art stall, maybe I could start painting again this year. With daffodil season beginning I could try painting them. I know they won’t have any chrome yellow, that’s been off the market since it was found to be toxic, but they are sure to have other shades suitable for daffodils. I think you picking up this map for me is a bit more than a coincidence Terry.”


Comments

  1. Oh, all the threads are beginning to come together -- I like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice story!
    And... hmmm, quiche!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; thank you. I haven't made quiche in years.

      Delete
    2. I started making hearty muffins. Easy and you have small portions you can put in the freezer for "bites on demand" :-)

      Delete
    3. Iris Flavia; bites on demand has been my problem, I eat too many too often.

      Delete
  3. I do like this couple and always good to hear how Khoral Kai is fitting in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; thank you, I do want to fit him in more, but only have vague ideas so far.

      Delete
  4. Daffodils are pretty flowers.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; they are a lovely way to know spring is coming.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Victor SE Moubarak; that's a good question, possibly because most quiche pans are round and ceramic too. I personally have made crab quiches in a large rectangular dish when serving a large crowd. but not for many years now.

      Delete
  6. I sense a future day at the market. Maybe some drama, maybe a quirky misunderstanding, maybe a chance meeting of a former acquaintance, maybe a special display of an uncommon product... You make it seem like a real place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I have been to such markets but not since Covid dropped in on us. I'll have to draw on memory and imagination.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs