Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Hilary Melton-Butcher and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. brick 

2. fully 

3. carapace 

4. hessian 

5. snowdrop 

6. grizzly 

and/or: 

1. illustrator 

2. violet 

3. ailment 

4. twigs 

5. eureka 

6. dinkum

here is my story:

(continuing on from last week:)

The following week, I went with Terry to the Farmer’s Market. He’d been a little too excited all week and I wondered what it was he wasn’t telling me. I knew about the Art Stall, so it couldn’t be that. I knew too, that Khoral Kai was likely to be there and he was always such fun to talk to, the way he could spin a tale kept you fully involved and before you knew it an hour had passed. Sometimes two. I realized I had been missing this experience by staying home so often. One minor ailment or another had kept me housebound for too long.

As we walked along the brick path to the market entrance I could see Terry rubbing his hands (with glee?) as he did whenever I was in for a big surprise. And what a surprise it turned out to be. The owner of the Art Stall was none other than Sonia Jenssen! We’d been to school together and her paintings always got higher grades than mine. She had become a well-known illustrator of children’s books and after retiring, her equally talented daughter Katrina had taken her place with that book company.

We hugged and kissed amid tears of joy at the reunion, then she asked me to forgive Terry for keeping it quiet, it had been her idea to surprise me. Terry waved to me as he set off on his usual round of the stalls, promising to come and get me at lunchtime. Sonia pulled a couple of chairs from the back of her stall and we sat to do some catching up gossip. “But first,” she said, “I’d like to know what you think of my newest style?”

Sonia retrieved a couple of frames with hessian stretched over them and showed me fields of snowdrops and violets nestled within long grasses. “I’ve been using twigs dipped in paint to make the differently shaped stems for those trees in the backgrounds, what do you think Molly?”

I loved them of course, everything Sonia painted turned out terrific. “I had a “Eureka” moment after I dropped a twig on some paper that was still wet with background colour.” “It worked out great,” I said, “the trunks looked like gnarled old olive trees.” “Really? That’s exactly what I thought! Fair dinkum, Molly, you always did understand me.”

We chatted for quite a while as Sonia showed me all the things she was selling and I asked about tubes of watercolour paint, saying I was going to start painting again myself. “That’s wonderful!,” she said. “Any idea what you will try first?” I mentioned daffodils, as I had always been good at those and asked about canvases, did she have any that weren’t too big and not too small, an easy size to manage on a table easel.

“Well of course I do,” she said, selling me two that were a smidge larger than a dinner plate and a set of brushes to go with the tubes of paint I had selected. I looked at my watch then, wondering where Terry might be. I was getting a little hungry and I knew that he was like a grizzly after hibernation if he got too hungry. I spied him weaving his way towards me and he had Khoral Kai in tow!  Both were carrying covered baskets and as they drew near I saw the baskets were actually the upturned carapaces of two large sea turtles, with woven cane handles.

They had brought lunch to us and we picnicked at the side of Sonia’s Stall after she put up a ‘Closed For An Hour’ sign that she had painted herself. I learned that she was only here for the season, needing to be home by the end as her daughter would be going back to work after her own holiday and Sonia was living right next door to watch the children after school and on weekends. 


Comments

  1. So enjoyed the familiar faces. You had some tough words (had to look up dinkum) but you handled them flawlessly. Sonia had some great ideas and I always love to hear about Khoral Kai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; dinkum is a very familiar word to us Aussies :) Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Lovely - though I shudder at the thought of a turtle shell being used as a basket. I shudder at the thought of a turtle shell being used by anyone other than the turtle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I'm imagining it is shells rescued from dead turtles that washed up somewhere, not from turtles that were killed just for their shells. Cleaned and polished they would make nice baskets.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed your story all the way. I hope Molly and Sonia will have some great painting time together. The Khoral is an intriguing figuer, and his interactions wiht the villagers a worthy subject. Baskets from turtle carapaces sounds like a good use for them, and decorative. I suppose he found them at the ligthhouse, as such things would end up there after a storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; thank you. Khoral needs exploring, I don't quite know how to figure him out yet. Molly will do well with her painting.

      Delete
  4. Walk on brick path, I know I would liked that.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; I like brick paths too. my mum had them between her vegetable patches.

      Delete
  5. Khoral Kai somehow is my neighbour Wolfgang - Ingo came out looking for me more than twice cause we talked so long :-)
    Now I wonder... is Wolfgang an Alien?

    And yes, I should pay him a visit, or at least leave a note. Thank you for the input!

    Oh, what a sweet surprise!

    Mimimi... watercolors are sitting here, waiting for me to try and I don´t dare. Send Sonia over, please?
    Such a nice story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; I don't think Wolfgang is an alien. Start small with the water colours, try copying something you drew in your diary.

      Delete
  6. This could develop into a book.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor SE Moubarak; if I can develop a plot that goes somewhere. Thank you.

      Delete
  7. You know what's a sign of good writing? That I can come in here cold and read what you say is a continuing story and not feel completely lost. I may not be familiar with the characters, and I may not know the backstory, but you've created enough interaction and action within this scene to grab my attention. Good job!

    I kinda like the idea of using twigs in that painting. Is that something you've seen done or done yourself? My easel is all set up with a fresh canvas on it, just waiting for me to begin a new painting... and now you've given me food for thought. Might be fun to experiment with that. Thanks. :)

    Take care, kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan; thank you so much. I like to make my stories seem as real as possible, apart from Khoral Kai being an alien stranded on earth in this one. I don't know where I got the twigs idea from, but I think it's a good idea. I'd like to see what you eventually paint.

      Delete
  8. I thoroughly enjoyed my day at the Farmer's Market! An old friend AND lunch, and canvases to get creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I like Farmer's Markets for roaming around just looking. I rarely buy unless I actually do need fresh veggies or some home baked bread. The stalls of trinkets have little interest for me, but I did buy a string of miniature wooden ducks once for my little red-headed doll.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs