Sunday Selections # 566

 Long ago, Kim of Frog ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections. 

A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please. 

Nothing rude or vulgar though.

And we don't mind at all if overseas bloggers care to join us.

The meme is now continued by Elephant's Child and I occasionally join in as do a few others. Andrew is one.  Messymimi is another. Drop in to Elephant's Child and have a look.


across The Esplanade and onto the grassy foreshore is the kiosk with the best fish and chips I have ever eaten, so of course I have a feed of fish'n'chips every time I go to Semaphore.


between the kiosk and this carousel house is the path leading to the jetty, the carousel in here is quite old and had an article written about it in our newspaper recently. It didn't originate in Semaphore and I don't remember now where it is from, somewhere else in Adelaide, but here at Semaphore it has been well cared for and recently renovated. 


coral growths and barnacles make these pier legs look like horses hoofs.


the first step into the not-so-warm-but-not-icy-either water at the beach. The black in the corner is the bag holding my shoes and socks.


leafy green seaweed


brown strappy seaweed


and an empty crab shell


walking along the beach, behind me is the Semaphore jetty


and waaaay ahead, just visible by the posts in the water, is the Largs Bay jetty, where I was headed. I'd planned on finding out how many steps it was by wearing a fitbit, but it quit on me soon after arriving at that distant pier, at just over 20,000 steps. Next time I will charge it overnight and see how many steps it is from Semaphore to Largs Bay and back again. I used to walk that distance several times a week and it didn't seem all that far, but that was nineteen years ago now.


on The Esplanade near Semaphore is The Palais Hotel, well known for it's restaurant, the outdoor dining area, the one-armed bandit machines and also as a venue for weddings and other gatherings. This is the back view, behind the tall green mound is where they set up the plastic screens and outdoor dining tables and chairs, plastic of course.


a pretty piece of white coral, I saw a pink bit further down the beach but it was tiny and the camera couldn't focus on it.


this is the brown strappy seaweed, after a storm or a king tide mountains of this are washed up onto the sand, this here is just a small mound, the king tide mounds are often four feet tall and stretch for quite a long way, 20 or 30 metres sometimes.


some areas of sand are rippled, relatively easy to walk on until all of a sudden you realise your calves and thighs are aching from the strain experienced by your feet


so you stop walking and stand knee deep in the water for a while


 just watching the clouds as they get blown around by high winds.




Comments

  1. That's a wonderful tour. I called up the area on Google Maps and followed along. You are fortunate to live so close to the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catalyst; I used to live right beside that beach, now I live across the other side of the city, but I can still get there easily enough.

      Delete
  2. 20,000 steps is HUGE. Well done you.
    You are so right about the horse's hooves - and thank you (so much) for taking us walking with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I was hoping someone else would see horses hooves. 20,000 steps was only halfway, I still had to walk back to Semaphore jetty then back to the train station, then to the bus stop, then home. I slept VERY well that night.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely visit to the beach. I think if you had asked us to guess what those pier legs were, none would have gotten it. I so enjoyed the walk, Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; it is a beautiful walk and I sometimes do it in winter when the waves are crashing and the tide throwing seaweed onto the sand, it's colder then of course, but that's what jackets are for. it hadn't occurred to me to make a puzzle of the pier legs.

      Delete
  4. That was a nice seaside walk. Now you made me long for summer, walking in the sand and eating fishy fast food on the pier. But I loved your photos, that coral and crab shell are so pretty and so differnt from my crabshells - we have no corals ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I think you have mis-counted your Sunday Selections. Normally you agree with Elephant's Child, and you have not skipped any since last you agreed, only not numbering them ;)

      Delete
    2. Charlotte; I shall have to check on those numbers. Walking on the sand is one of my favourite things. You shall have to post a photo of your crab shells one day.

      Delete
  5. There has been lots and lots of water around here over the past few days...clearing up later this morning it is so predicted. Just another good excuse for me to remain indoors...and I've heeded the call!

    Let's hope you have a great week ahead, River...take care...cuddles to the lovely Lady Lola. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; you have had the aftermath of Seth I guess. A perfect reason to stay inside. The coming week here is going to be hot, 31 today then 35 for a couple of days. Lola is hiding under the bed, after taking up almost all of the bed last night leaving me on the edge.

      Delete
  6. Old carousels are cool. The detail in the animals to ride on can be brilliant.

    Walking on sand can do terrible things to your legs, back and hips. I use a step counter app on my phone and the most steps I have taken in a day is 16,000 so I am very impressed with your 20,000 plus.

    The beach sand is very white, as is the hotel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; the old carousel isn't open very often although it might be right now because the Semaphore Summer Carnival is on until the end of School Holidays. it would be nice to get a photo of the horses one day.
      Walking on sand forces the use of muscles that normally don't get used, that's why we ache so much the next day, although I didn't this time which surprised me. The 20,000 was added to quite considerably by walking back to the train station, then to the city bus stop, then to home. The Palais can be a bit blinding if the sun is just right.

      Delete
  7. I sure would love to have an authentic plate of fish and chips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne; these come in a cardboard box for taking away to eat on the grass or on the sand, but they are still the best I know of.

      Delete
  8. A beach walk is a workout, but also a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, fish and chips, and an old carousel!
    There is a The Simpsons-episode on just that and the place - in case you haven´t seen - is Barnacle Bay!!!
    And the jetty, ohhhh! Your plan is to visit all beaches, right? Please also go to Carnarvon! To the old Prawn Jetty.
    And also Cottesloe (go there in March, if/when they have Sculpture by the Sea) - I hope the Indiana is still there, great tea/coffee. A building a bit like you showed. You can also eat there.

    Beautiful post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not a beach fan, but your pictures made me like it! I want some fish 'n' chips and a carousel ride. Of course I would plop my ample rumpus on one of those bench seats, and not climb up on a horse...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; Because I love the beach so much I am always surprised to find people who don't. Like my entire family except my brother.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs