Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Hilary Melton-Butcher and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. tangled 

2. cream 

3. gloom 

4. movement 

5. visionary 

6. bounds 

and/or: 

1. vista  

2. carrot 

3. lyric 

4. boater 

5. dandelion 

6. gorgonzola

Here is my story:

Terry had declared himself to be visionary when it came to food, no combination of ingredients was out of bounds as far as he was concerned. I shuddered slightly, recalling some recent dinners he had prepared for guests. They had been very polite, but hadn’t made a return booking.

Early this morning, adjusting his straw boater while mouthing the lyrics to his favourite song, he had set off to the local Farmer’s Market for fresh milk and eggs, vegetables and dandelion greens. He had been gone all day, but I had long ago stopped wondering what took him so long, knowing his tendency to gossip with everyone who crossed his path.

I gazed out the window for a while, enjoying the vista spread before me, the wide, wide river, the gleaming new paint on the houseboat we rented out as a bed and breakfast, the bridge in the distance leading to a caravan park. Then I set about preparing his dinner, he’d asked for a quiche made with gorgonzola cheese and soon enough the aroma of baking filled the kitchen.

I set the timer and cleaned up the preparation mess before going into the living room to pick up the tangled mess of cream coloured wool that was somehow supposed to transform itself into a baby blanket. I was hopeless at knitting, but Betty had assured me the pattern was very easy to follow and the church was counting on us to provide as many baby blankets and clothes as we could manage.

Hours later I noticed movement in the darkening gloom of dusk and thankfully set aside the workbasket to warm the quiche just as Terry knocked the mud from his boots by the front porch. “Sorry I’m so late Molly,” he called cheerfully. “How did the quiche turn out?” “Come and see for yourself,” I replied, serving him a hearty slice, while I had a much smaller serve with  lightly steamed carrots and dandelion tea.


Comments

  1. A lovely little vignette. I would like to learn more about this couple and their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I would like to know more too. I think I'm going to put their little B&B enterprise near the village where Khoral Kai lives.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful story!
    And, wee. Ingo will set off to the farmer´s market tomorrow and who knows when he will be back, that chattermouth ;-)
    I make him carrots every day (as in peel and cut) - dandlion tea sounds interesting!
    I got three totally interesting teas yesterday, one is called "Winter Strudel".
    If you like some come your winter - and if Australia accepts a) parcels and b) tea - let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; funny to think of Ingo as the same type of person in my story. Dandelion tea or coffee is supposed to be good for the liver, but I never tried it. I don't drink tea very often, I prefer coffee or hot chocolate. Most of the time I just drink water.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I thought so, too, funny to "find Ingo" there.
      Oh. I somewhere have a package of hot chocolate, and we do have milk and it´s but 1C - I´ll look for it, great idea!

      Delete
  3. This was a cute little story of a couple. Well written and you used all the mysterious words! I too would like to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; thank you. I would like to hear more too, we will have to wait and see where next week's words take me.

      Delete
  4. Well written and an interesting story. Except the dandelion tea ... they say it's good for you; but I find it tastes awful. I've tried it as well as nettles tea !!!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor SE Moubarak; thank you. I have never tried dandelion tea, perhaps it would be better with a spoonful of honey?

      Delete
  5. I think I've managed to follow you, but the way your left hand sidebar appears strecthed out vertically in single letter columns makes it very difficult. I had to click the last blue stripe and hope that was it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasker Dunham; welcome to drifting. I used to have a simpler layout, then I changed and now I can't remember how to get back.

      Delete
  6. I wish we had some type of winter market. Maybe not! Still we have low vax rate coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  7. He sounds like someone who experiments with food, and not always quite successfully. It takes a bit of finesse to know what goes together and what doesn't quite work.

    They do sound like a nice couple, it would be good to hear more from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; it does take trial and error to learn what works and some people might like the result while others won't. I'd like to write more about them, but sometimes my brain just goes to sleep on me.

      Delete
  8. If you include this couple in your future stories, I'd love to know what adventures Terry had between dawn and dusk! Maybe conversations with the different vendors, or stopping to help someone in need, or planning a surprise for his gal, or just a nap in a meadow with his boater over his face. A whole day is a long time to pick up milk and eggs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I think that's a good idea, thank you.

      Delete
  9. Another excellent story River. Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops, thought sure I left a comment here. Basically loved the idea of a houseboat B&B. I enjoyed this couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; I like the idea of a houseboat B&B too. Thank you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs