Sunday Selections #581

 Long ago, Kim of Frog ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections. 

A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please. 

Nothing rude or vulgar though.

And we don't mind at all if overseas bloggers care to join us.

The meme is now continued by Elephant's Child and I occasionally join in as do a few others. Andrew is one.  Messymimi is another. Drop in to them and have a look.


Here we have Harley, the ex-undercover Bikie cop, telling some of his stories to Bunny


who remembers this upside down chunk of concrete which I painted dark green?


here is the other side, now transformed into a sunflower


I didn't have any orange or lime green paint, so mixed my own


here it is in the front corner of my garden, it looks a little odd, so I've named it 'damaged sunflower' in sympathy with the now damaged Ukraine.


you'll never guess what this is...bread dough! Just before it began rising. I had a go at making my own bread, with a very basic, four ingredients recipe. 


I didn't use bread tins for baking, just made rough loaf shapes and put them in the oven, I'll use bread tins next time.


fully baked, rustic loaves. The crust looks dry, like unglazed pottery, but the recipe hadn't said to brush anything over the loaves for baking, it was quite a hard crust, but the bread knife did a fine job.


looks and smells like bread


and the taste was fine too, with a good slather of butter, it made a nice lunch.


late afternoon sun lighting up what is left of my lawn, this is the path from my tiny porch down to the footpath. No fences. 😞 I miss fences.


look how extensive the bare patches are now and the drop on either side of that path is about four inches, maybe more. This happened years ago when for some unknown reason the automatic watering system was turned off, possibly because of water restrictions, but then wasn't turned back on for YEARS and the soil dried up and shrank away, the grass died, and now every time the gardeners trim the edges, the just weed-whack them further back from the path. I could fix this by top-dressing with a few tons of topsoil maybe, but that's quite expensive and I don't have the budget, plus it might all just wash away down the slope of the grass, it isn't level and really should be terraced. I'd like to dig out those exposed slabs of slate and concrete and use them as a path in the garden bed, but I don't know how big and heavy they are and they might leave holes too big for safety. Neighbours often walk across at this point instead of going via the paths.

Comments

  1. I remember that concrete and am amazed at the transformation on the underside. Good job. Don't know what you can do with that walkway. Hope someone has a good idea. I thought mulch or gravel but the weed wackers would only damage it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; I like the way the sunflower turned out, the original concrete was already shaped, it came from the new builds going on next door, I think one of the young men poured it over plastic over an upturned can to make the shape, then it just got left on the footpath under a tree. There are more clumps of concrete out there, small ones, which I may gather up and paint, just to make an edging on the house side of my garden.

      Delete
  2. I think your "damages sunflower" looks pretty darn good, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your sunflower. Well done.
    That walkway looks unsafe. I do hope that the housing people can (and will) get onto it, before some one is hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you, I'm happy with the sunflower. I have mentioned the walkway to the housing inspector, but I don't expect anything will get done about it unless someone gets injured by tripping. The path itself is quite wide and people who cross the lawn simply step up and down to cross the path. Neighbours on either side go back and forth, so close to my window sometimes, it gets annoying.

      Delete
  4. What a great repurpose for a chunk of concrete!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sunflower is lovely, River. What a great idea you had...and executed so well! You've had a productive week by the looks of it. You should share your bread recipe...I bet the aroma filled your place as it was cooking.

    Take god care. May the coming week treat you well. Cuddles to the lovely Lady Lola. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; thank you, I'm happy with the sunflower. There wasn't much aroma while the bread was baking, that might happen with different recipes. I want to try making a Vienna loaf one day, I remember that's what my parents always bought for us. The one I made is just flour, yeast, salt and warm water. Very similar to my pizza dough recipe, which has less yeast and some olive oil. Lola is being very cuddly lately.

      Delete
  6. Very artistic with the sunflower.
    My street still suffers from the after affects of the 2000s drought when watering systems were turned off.
    Looks like bread, smells like bread, tastes like bread, it must be bread. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; thank you. The bread was nice, in spite of looking like a lump of unglazed pottery. After the first cut, I put the loaf into a ziplock bag overnight and that softened the crust. By day four the remaining small chunks were going mouldy, so I threw those to the birds. I have a half loaf still uncut in the freezer and will eat that today and tomorrow.

      Delete
  7. The sunflower is beautiful, you did well with mixing the shades of color you wanted.

    Landscaping can be a never-ending project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job on that sunflower. You have a talent. The bread looks tasty, especially the slice with butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; thank you. I'm happy with the sunflower and I enjoy mixing the paints I have to get the colours I want, although I haven't been able to replicate the aqua I once made :(
      The bread was very nice.

      Delete
  9. It been ages since I made bread. I love it fresh out of oven with honey butter on it.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; I can't eat hot bread, it gives me tummy ache and gas, but cooled bread is very nice too. I prefer regular unsalted butter, I think honey butter would be too sweet. My sister would love it though.

      Delete
  10. I think some sod would work along the walkway. Dig out the dirt at the grass line so there is a smooth transition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike; I've been stabbing the dirt near the edge of the grass with a small garden fork and watering to encourage the runners, but it isn't working as well as I'd hoped. Sod would be an option if I searched for the same type. But I would still need a topsoil base. The dirt has set like cement and I am close to being 70, so I don't think I can dig it out. It's government subsidised housing so I don't want to do too much, then have to undo it if they don't approve. On the other hand, why wouldn't they approve?

      Delete
    2. Does "government subsidized" mean you're a renter? Complain to management about a safety hazard. (Which it is.)

      Delete
  11. Good job Ms. The color mix on the flower is superb. It looks pretty great on your corner, I am inspired- I have some concrete rounds that might want color, come over and show me how!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda Sue; I'd gladly come and show you how, IF you didn't live in America. That's kind of Far Away. So I'll tell you instead. First use a wire brush or any other stiff bristled brush to clean off the concrete, then use a paint suitable for outdoors, waterbased for easy cleaning of brushes etc. and just fire up your imagination. I know you have an imagination, I've seen your wool stabbings.

      Delete
  12. Hello River
    I keep scrolling up to your sunflower and wondering how it is some people see things differently to others. Vivid imaginations and a willingness to try something different. Love it!
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy; thank you for dropping in. I saw the flower shape of it when it was just concrete and it seemed to need painting, so I did.

      Delete
  13. Great story! The cop sure was right, great sunflower "rose" from this!!!

    I´ll make Pizza today. I admit... I bought a package, but have to make the sauce from scratch!
    Your bread looks great!

    I understand ... sad thing fences are needed to make up for ... mismanagement.
    Your sunflower might be sad... we don´t want fences or boundaries no more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; it's a great sunflower I think, and long lasting too, being made of concrete.
      You can use bottled tomato puree for the sauce, I have done so in the past, just adding a bit of mince garlic, also from a jar, for more flavour.
      I want fences to make it harder for people to steal stuff from my garden, although nothing has been stolen for years now. There are no fences anywhere here, apart from the boundary fences surrounding the complex.

      Delete
  14. You make bread I tried even bought a breadmaker no luck always came out as a lump of hard tasteless stuff I take my hat off to you........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle; I had a breadmaker too, but it was useless, I gave it away, making by hand turned out so much better.

      Delete
  15. The sunflower looks really good, River. And it's nice and bright in that corner.

    Fresh bread is one of the nicest things there is. Especially with butter melting on it.

    Landscaping is expensive. I have no ideas for that particular problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jenny_o; thank you, it does brighten up that corner. I'm going to ignore the path problem for now, it would be a different matter if I owned my home, the shrinkage and die back wouldn't have happened in the first place.
      I was so happy when the bread turned out edible :)

      Delete
  16. Your bread look fine.I think I would have been disobedient to the recipe and brushed them with something. Nothing amis with your creativity :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs