Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by messymimi and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. prize 

2. conversation 

3. smell 

4. citizen 

5. vegetable 

6. fail 

and/or: 

1. a mountain out of a molehill 

2. a cut below 

3. a cold fish

Here is my story:

While walking along Main Street with their ice creams, Khoral and the children, plus assorted parents, walked past the Police Station, where Aiden and Cynthia were having another of their many fights. Cynthia was screaming, “I feel naked without my makeup! Three days we’ve been here and I don’t even have my lipstick!”
“Give it a rest Cynthia,” said Aiden with a groan. “I don’t like this any more than you do. I don’t have my comb or even a toothbrush. I just know my hair is all over the place.”  “You got that right, Bullwinkle!” Cynthia snorted. “What do you mean by that?” yelled Aiden. “Have you seen your nose in a mirror?” said Cynthia. “It’s just like Bullwinkle's!” “Well without your makeup and hairspray you look just like Yosemite Sam!” Aiden yelled back at her. Cynthia screeched, “And you smell bad!”  while trying to smack at him through the bars of her cell. “You’re no prize citizen yourself Cyn,” Aiden said as he backed away to the opposite bars.

Khoral and the parents hurriedly helped the children to the other side of the road. “I’m sorry you all had to hear that,” said Khoral. “I should have had you all cross the road right by the IceCreamery.” “We live right behind the Police Station, don’t we Kate?” said Dean. “We’ve been hearing them since they got locked up.” “What have they done?” asked Maggie. “They trashed Terry and Molly’s houseboat,” said Susie. “Why?” said Maggie, licking dripping icecream from her hand. “I’m not sure,” said Kate, “but I’ve heard people talking and I think those two were looking for something that was supposed to be hidden in the boat.” Kate’s mother was very surprised. “Where exactly did you hear that? This is not a subject for children!” “Dean and me were in his treehouse and listened to the conversation when a couple of the policeman ate their lunch at the backyard picnic table out behind the Station.”

“Those two are bad people,” said Khoral and several parents nodded agreement.
“We don’t want you listening in to anymore of what they say,” said Kate’s mother, Liz. “If you misunderstand and tell others, the story will grow, like making a mountain out of a molehill.” Dean’s mother, Linda, said “promise me you won’t listen in and if you do hear anything accidentally, come and tell us, so we can help you understand.” Julie Simpson said, “we should let them know at the Police Station that little ears are listening.” “That’s a good idea,” said Khoral. “I’ll drop by there later and have a word with Sergeant Ray Bennett.” They all meandered on down the road, finishing their ice creams and chattering about other things. “Want to come to my house for dinner?” asked Maggie. “We’re having vegetable soup.” Chrissie moaned, “I can’t. I got a fail on my last math test and Dad won’t let me have dinner at any friend's houses all holidays. I have to study for half an hour every night. He’s so strict!”

Khoral overheard and said, “strict is sometimes necessary Chrissie. Education is important and Math is one of the most important subjects. When you grow up and go to work, you’ll need to know how to manage the money you earn and knowing math is part of that.” “I know,” said Chrissie, “Dad explained it all, but it’s holidays!” Liz said, “What if Maggie came to your house for dinner? Would that be alright with your dad? Maggie could help you study, she likes numbers for some odd reason, and is good with math.” “I’ll ask Dad as soon as he gets home,” said Chrissie.

Comments

  1. Khoral is a most excellent citizen - and definitely a cut above...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; This is the way Khoral was raised, on a very peaceful planet.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learnt of the writing prize from a conversation I had with River. I could smell her orange blossom perfume. Her personal hygiene was first rate - more proof that she was an outstanding citizen. Some women have a vegetable cabbagey smell about them which one cannot fail to detect.

    I decided to cal my story "A Mountain out of a Molehill". I suspected it might be a cut below some of the other entries, including River's " A Cold Fish" but I thought I would have a go anyway. Imagine my delight when I received a letter that told me I had won! Naturally, River was beside herself with jealousy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding, it is excellent and you're right, River would be a little jealous. But only a little.

      Delete
  4. A very good episode, little pitchers have very big ears and that can cause trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; especially if they are too young to understand what they are hearing. I'm picturing most of these kids in the 6 to 10 age group. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Great imagination and writing skills.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my goodness!! I met more than one woman with that make-up-"problem"!!!
    Mistaking, learning, you nail it all! Great story again!!
    I was able to join you today, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; thank you. This woman is in jail, that's why she doesn't have any of her makeup or anything else. I'll come over and read your story.

      Delete
  7. I like your story, the descriptions of peaceful village + Khoral is reminding me of my earliest childhood - only better!
    I'm still wrestling the words, hope to be writing a story before the next Wednesday comes along ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; thank you. The story came easily for me this week, but now I want to get more of Aiden and Cynthia into it.

      Delete
  8. Heh, heh! Yosemite Sam! Aiden won that insult battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; Aiden is a bright spark, Cynthia not so much.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs