Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by messymimi and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. steward 

2. mechanical 

3. trail 

4. restrict 

5. nun 

6. scale 

and/or: 

1. oppugned 

2. autodidact 

3. non-fungible 

4. widdershins

I have only used the first set. 

Here is my story:

The buzzer lit up and after checking the seat number I sighed. Heavily. “Something wrong?” asked Reuben. “It’s that nun in seat 14B again. She’s had me running almost since takeoff.” I said. “I wondered about that trail worn into the carpet,” said Reuben with a huge grin on his face. “Why don’t you go this time,” I asked him. “I have to deliver the champagne to first class,” Reuben grinned at me. He loved the first class duty roster, the passengers always pressed big tips on him. I enjoyed it too, whenever it was my turn, we always took home much more money than our regular pay scale. I sighed and turned to the curtain leading to the economy seats.

Sister Barbara spotted me right away. “Oh steward! Over here dear, if you wouldn’t mind,” she said. “How can I help Sister,” I asked. “Is there something specific you need? Water? A blanket perhaps?” I hoped she might want to sleep for the rest of the trip. “Oh no, I just have a few questions. I’ve been reading this booklet about what to do in an emergency, and I remember what that other steward said about the oxygen masks and other things. Now I want you to be completely honest. How mechanically sound is this plane? Do we have too many passengers? Are we all carrying too much luggage? I did restrict myself to just one small case, but I saw a whole trailer load being carted out and loaded.”

I reassured her as best as I could. ”Sister, when we book our passengers, we take into account the weight of their luggage, we know how many cases they will be bringing aboard (not exactly a truth, but she won’t know that) and we always restrict the weight to fall within the limits of the plane, with space to spare. You are perfectly safe on this flight. I have personally flown this trip several times already this year and there has never been a spot of trouble. (Apart from that drunk man who woke up and panicked because he had no idea where he was, but she didn’t need to know that either.)

Sister Barbara took my hand saying, “Thank you George, I know I might be a bit of a bother, but I have never flown before and you have made me feel so safe.” 


Comments

  1. How I wish that everyone was as considerate as George. A lovely take on the prompts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; there could be more Georges in the world, we just don't hear about them.

      Delete
  2. Ah George it was a bit of a fib but well told. I'd have believed it. Now you can both rest easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; little white lies do no harm and if they soothe as well, that's even better.

      Delete
  3. George, you are excellent at your job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; he's had a lot of practice I think.

      Delete
  4. Gotta watch out for those nuns. You never know. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; George knows enough to be able to tell when people need a bit more attention and reassurance than usual. It's Sister Barbara's very first flight and she is quite old, so the worries are natural.

      Delete
  5. Here is my take on Nuns:

    Head Sister Elizabeth was required to assign novice nuns to chores in St. Dymphna, some of which were disgusting. Cleaning fish scales was a chore given to the newest and prettiest noviate, Sister Lizzie.

    Then there was the kitchen steward Sister Anna whose job was to mop up the trail of garbage left by Sister Benedictus. She had received a reprimand for breaking the new mechanical dishwasher, leaving her with hand dishwashing.

    Then there was the elderly Sister Mary Margaret, who was restricted to watching Great British Baking Show and folding laundry. Tying her to the wheelchair worked out well to keep restrained. She may have been the happiest nun around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan; I think I'd be happy watching a baking show too.

      Delete
  6. Maybe I will do a story before Monday.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lotus Flower, the steward walked in a mechanical manner along the trail. He was trying to reduce pressure on his dodgy knee. Chatting with him, I was astonished to learn that his mother was a Carmelite nun who loved to scale rock faces in her flowing habit.

    She oppugned formal education for she was a proud autodictat. To use a modern term, you might say that her character was non-fungible. The other nuns in the convent, including The Mother Superior who hailed from Adelaide in Australia, referred to her as Mrs Widdershins because she never went with the flow. Hell, she didn't even pray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; she sounds like a nun worth knowing! Well done

      Delete
  8. We all need a George!
    And infos like... it´s the first flight for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; hopefully many flight attendants are as good as George, especially with those on their very first flight.

      Delete
    2. In fact I never met/overheard one being unfriendly.
      I think you must be like one of my new colleagues for this job, have LOADS of patience.
      Love for your work, too.
      Boy, my first flight. I was 14 and... had a paper book with me. Today?! You can do SO much on a flight, entertainment, learning, music, whatever you want!

      Delete
  9. You have such a wonderful imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like to fly, and I'd welcome a George to give me extra attention. I'm pretty sure he'd have the same opinion of me as he had of Sister Barbara...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs