Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by River and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. chicanery 2. wicker 3. curly 4. prissy 5. superb 6. uncommon

Also including Charlotte's colour of the month: Orient red.

Here is my story:

My tattle-tale little sister, Caitlin, plopped herself into the white wicker chair on the side porch, shook her curly hair out of her face and said in her most prissy voice, "Just what chicanery are you up to now Thomas?"

"It's just Tom, okay? and what the heck does chicanery even mean?"

"It means trickery or mischief," she said smugly, showing off her newly discovered genius level IQ.

"Well there's no need to use a lot of fancy words just because you've learned you are so much smarter than the rest of us," I said grumpily. "And I'm not 'up to' anything! Cleaning Dad's car is my punishment for sneaking out last weekend to go to Joe's party." I gave the orient red vehicle one last buffing and stood back to admire my work. 

"Well you've done a superb job," said Caitlin. "Dad might even be proud of you."

"Thanks," I said.

"I know it isn't uncommon for boys your age to do such things, but maybe next time you'll think twice before sneaking out again?"

She flounced off and I thought to myself, "little smart-aleck is probably right. But her teenage years aren't too far away, then we'll see who does what chicanery."


Comments

  1. Oh, so true! I don't know about you, but I found teenage girls much more trying than (my one) teenage boys. Boys are straightforward. Girls are devious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; I didn't recall any of my teens being devious or anything else, but from things they've said as adults, I know I missed a lot of what they got away with, mostly because I was working during those years.

      Delete
  2. Love it. And wonder, like Tom, what chicanery she will get into. As an aside, my middle brother's name is Thomas. He has always been called Tom. When he found out his name was really Thomas he didn't speak to my parents for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I like Tom as a name, but neither of my sons has it. I wonder why your brother didn't like Thomas? Or perhaps he didn't like finding out his real name wasn't Tom?

      Delete
  3. Teenagers are troublemakers, at least, some are. Good use of the wfw prompts.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lissa; they can get up to all sorts of things, some good, some bad.

      Delete
  4. Excellent use of the prompts! In a couple of years, he might have a few things to tell on her about, or at least to hold over her head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; thank you. I hope he won't hold too much over her, though he might be able to help her over a hurdle or two.

      Delete
  6. Sweet story - and so clever with the words.
    My little Brother´s second name is Thomas, too, like my kindy´s friend. So... my bad.
    When he got married the pastor "sadly" mixed the names up and FIL to be yelled (in church!) - "Now, huh is THOMAS?!"
    That was off-topic. I really loved your use with those rather complicated words!
    P.S. I finally - with help - have the taxes-program installed. Now I surf a bit and then I´ll start...
    Well, no, make lunch and start after lunch... procrastination...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; thank you. I never knew a Tom or Thomas in my whole life, I know the name from a TV series, The Blacklist.
      Funny about the pastor at your brother's wedding.
      Procrastination is not a good thing. I try to get difficult things done as soon as possible so I can stop worrying about it and do more fun things.

      Delete
  7. A typical brother/sister interaction! Good use of the words.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs