Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by River and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. charm bracelet 2. fried chicken 3. teacup 4. cage 5. plastic 6. adorable

also including Charlotte's colour of the month: orient red

here is my story:

I sat in my comfortable old wingback chair with my favourite rug over my knees while the grand daughters arranged themselves around me, pulling chairs and cushions closer to the fire. They each held the gift I had given them. I wanted to see them enjoy the things while I was still alive. The dining table at the other end of the room still held the remains of the fried chicken dinner we had feasted on. 

Naomi was lovingly stroking the orient red silk pyjamas I had given her, my own mother had brought them back from one of her many overseas trips and they had been my Christmas gift that year. The red silk background had black, green and golden dragons embroidered on it and the buttons were gold coloured. "I shall wear these every day," Naomi told me, "until they no longer fit."

Ana held out the charm bracelet, which my mother had turned into a necklace and asked if there were stories about the charms.




"I didn't know about any stories," I told her, "my mother collected these on her trips to Europe and all I know is where some of them came from. The eagle is from Frankfurt, it says so right on there and the windmill is from Amsterdam, the violin is from Austria I think, and the one with the sleigh and reindeer is from Denmark when she went there to see the Lego factory. That's all I know. I received the necklace not long before she died and didn't think to ask about it." 

"That's sad," said Ana. "Maybe I can find out more from a computer search, but we'll never know what she was thinking and experiencing when she bought each one."

Gen carefully held up the pale blue porcelain teacup with it's over-wide saucer. "I love my teacup, but why is the saucer wide almost like a plate?" "Because it is a plate," I said. "I found it many years ago in a secondhand shop and you can see the small depression where the cup sits on one end and the other is a place to put your sandwich or biscuits if you are having your tea away from the table, like if you go out to sit in the garden or even just here by the fire."

"It's so delicate," said Gen, "I'm almost afraid to use it."

The youngest, Theresa, held up her gift. "I already know the story about this one which is from Aunty, she always wanted a white mouse in a cage as a pet, but she was happy to get this white toy mouse in the white plastic cage instead and kept it in her room until she married. I love it, the adorable little mouse and the story."

I settled back for my nap as they carried their treasures to the table and began clearing away the dishes we had eaten from.



Comments

  1. Such a sweet story and I love that you included the twins in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful - and I am glad that the grandies did the clearing away.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs