Front page of today's newspaper

Yikes!

they've upped the expected temperature for tomorrow, Thursday. These two are reported as "relaxing" in the heat, doing acrobatic yoga during sunset at a beach.

the paragraph under this reads," Decades-old temperature records are under threat tomorrow as the mercury soars across South Australia. Adelaide's 80-year heat record could topple, the bureau of Meteorology says, as the city and its Healthcare system brace for a new maximum forecast of 45C. Other suburbs and towns with record temperatures likely to fall include Clare, Parafield, Kuitpo, Noarlunga, Mt Barker, Edinburgh, Eudunda, Snowtown, Maitland and Port Pirie."
it also says "continued page 8", but we won't go there.

here is my handy-dandy little conversion chart which I have stuck to some magnetic paper so I can keep it on the fridge, you can see here near the bottom in the right hand column, 45C is 113F
Today I've already been out to the shops to buy a cask of spring water and this newspaper of course, tomorrow, well, from this moment on actually, I plan to stay inside until Friday morning, when I have to be somewhere else.

Lola seems to be coping quite well 😃

this is an apple-cinnamon teacake that I made to share with my elderly neighbour, it's a shallow cake because the pan I used was too wide, I should have doubled the recipe

a close up shot so you can see the apple slices, hopefully 
and the recipe:

Apple Teacake

Ingredients:
1 egg, separated
1/2 cup milk
30grams butter, melted
1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup self raising flour, sifted
*small amount of extra melted butter
* combine small amount of caster sugar with small amount of cinnamon powder

Set oven at 190C (I don't remember what that is in F, maybe 375?)

lightly grease an 18cm sandwich pan.

Beat egg white until stiff, gradually beat in sugar, then egg yolk
Stir in milk, vanilla and melted butter.
Fold in the sifted flour.
Pour into prepared tin, arrange apple slices on top
Bake for 20-25 minutes. Turn out of tin and while still hot brush with the small amount of extra melted butter and sprinkle with the sugar cinnamon mixture.






Comments

  1. Two things I haven't made apple cake for long time and also read an actual newspaper.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. peppylady (Dora); I haven't made this particular apple cake in several years. It used to be a popular after-school snack when my kids came home, but usually I made them brownies.

      Delete
  2. We use some old recipes at times with Farenheit temperatures and I no longer remember F and have to use the net to convert them, and then reduce time and temperature a little because of a fan forced oven, which weren't around then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; some recipe books have a conversion page at the front near the index, so find one even if you have to visit a library (or google) and print it out. Like I should but haven't yet.

      Delete
  3. That looks delicious! And Lola does indeed look like she's coping well. Try to stay cool. Maybe read the last chapters of "The Shining," where they're snowed-in at the Overlook Hotel...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; the last chapters? I've never read the first chapters. I don't think I've even seen the movie.
      I'll be cool enough inside tomorrow, the air conditioner is working well and I have the outside awning all the way down, the inside blinds all the way down and the thermal-lined curtains all the way closed. We're chillin'

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. joeh; I'm so thankful I don't need to go anywhere tomorrow and kids here aren't back at school yet either. I suspect a lot of elderly people may spend the day in their local shopping mall where it will be cooler and food and drink is everywhere you look. That's if they don't have air conditioning at home.

      Delete
  5. That's dangerously hot. I'm glad you'll be able to keep cool - you and Lola.

    I've just read through the story on the new link - it's great to have it all in one place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jenny_o; that's only part of the story, I'll keep adding chapters as I get them edited. It's lovely and cool inside my living room.

      Delete
  6. Is caster sugar brown sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fishducky; caster sugar is a finer grade of white sugar, still crystals, but very small. Brown sugar is what my mum used to put on bread and butter for us as a treat mow and then.

      Delete
  7. Good luck tomorrow. I will be thinking of you, and hope your cool change comes early. And stays. We have a low 30s day tomorrow and then it ramps up again.
    The cake looks good - and Lola looks to be coping with heat better than Jazz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; at this point our "cool change" is one day of 27C on Sunday, every other day is 30 or over, which is still better than 45C

      Delete
  8. Your cake looks delicious, never made one of those Apple cakes.
    Keep cool there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret-whiteangel; the cake has a lovely flavour if you use vanilla extract instead of vanilla essence, the extract is stronger. We're cool inside.

      Delete
  9. Wow, be safe. We are the exact opposite of you. I think your cake looks delicious. It made me want some. Keep hydrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buttons Thoughts; I've been reading about the snow over there, looking at the pictures makes me feel a bit cooler. The cake is very simple to make.

      Delete
  10. your apple cake looks delicious. As we're in for a cold spell now, hot tea and applecakes are in season. 45 degrees sure sounds hot! Have you tried eating curries to cool off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uglemor; I can't eat curries, I have a skin condition called rosacea and "hot" things like curries and chili etc cause a flare up so m face is bright red for days and feels like I've been blown up like a balloon, although there isn't any actual swelling.

      Delete
  11. I think that cake would be so pretty baked in an 8" cast iron skillet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne; it probably would, I don't have a skillet, I have frypans, but the electric hotplate would probably burn the base of the cake. I remember years ago doing pineapple upside down cake in a skillet, but I was the only one who liked it so I gave up making it when the skillet died.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Grace; it's one of the better photos, usually they're a blur as she turns away at the last minute.

      Delete
  13. I laughed out loud at sprawled out Lola. One way to beat the heat.
    The heat seems relentless and brutal. Hope you all get a break soon.
    That cake looks so yummy. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; I'm surprised Lola stayed still while I snapped the photo. Australian summers are relentless, the heat just goes on and on well into autumn, but this year is hotter than ever. At this point 35C (95F) seems like a lovely cool change. I hope you try the cake.

      Delete
  14. My prayers are with you for a break in this awful heat. You cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; thank you, I plan to stay inside all day. Tomorrow is supposed to be only 31C (87.8F), let's hope that happens.

      Delete
  15. That cat cracks me up and I love the tea cake bake. Nice that you share it as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs