Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Susan Kane and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. field 2. frog 3. smell 4. check 5. visit 6. gate 

and/or: 

1. abandon 2. immune 3. temple 4. hand 5. minister 6. habit

Also included is Charlotte's colour of the month, salmon pink. 

Here is my story:

“Anthony, where is your brother?” called Heather “Down in the back field, by the frog pond.”

 “Oh no, he’s going to come back all muddy and smelly, run down and tell him he needs to get back here and take a bath. The Minister is coming to visit, introducing his new assistant to all in the Parish.”

Anthony took off running and yelled to Sam as he went, “Mum says get away from the frog pond and come take a bath!” 

Heather thought to herself, ‘if I wanted yelling I could have done that myself. Hopefully Sam will abandon all hope of tadpoles for now.” Wiping her hands on her favourite salmon pink apron, she went into the front room and asked Elaine to please check the mailbox, knowing the minister had an annoying habit of bringing in people’s mail and then remarking on the number or lack of letters, being a bit of a nosey parker in Heather’s opinion. “And check the front gate isn’t squeaking!” she called after Elaine. "I must remember to get a padlock for the mailbox," she thought. 

"I hope Bob remembered to oil the gate hinges," she muttered on her way back to the kitchen, which was now smelling deliciously of the German Chocolate Cake which was ready to come out of the oven.

As Anthony and Sam both stampeded into the bathroom, Heather felt the beginnings of a headache throbbing at her temple. “I wish I was immune to these things,” she thought, then hoped Minister Padwell wouldn't start up again about the children attending Church. 


Comments

  1. Good job describing a smelly frog pond:-) I have been in one before, have you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie; no I never have, but I have been close to a smelly duck pond.

      Delete
  2. Smelly frog ponds are the best for tadpoles. I feel sorry for Sam. So wel written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; Sam will get his tadpoles another day, when he isn't expected to be present for visitors.

      Delete
  3. I like this, it's very true to life. The children are always going to be wanting the pond more than anything else.

    If the minister is "that" kind, he'll mention it. We've been blessed with good ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; children are always attracted to water and mud. It's a vital part of growing up. The minister is a bit nosey, but he means well.

      Delete
  4. We have a really smelly pond here, too.
    Some years we have an art event where light-installations are spread all over. One non-Braunschweig artist placed his right there. Maybe it was on purpose - from someone...!
    I laughed about the yelling you can do yourself! So true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; no smelly ponds around here but plenty of smelly gardens with flowers that give me hayfever attacks. We have light installations here sometimes, I think once a year in the city along North Terrace. I never go as I don't feel safe coming home alone after dark.

      Delete
  5. Is this story part of a larger story? It feels like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; no it isn't, but I have saved it in my files and maybe one day I could add to it.

      Delete
  6. From the field behind the church a frog came a-hopping. I guess he could smell me and wanted to check me out. I had come to visit my grandfather's grave and soon pushed open the gate into the overgrown churchyard. I guess the authorities had decided to abandon that holy place. Even an old church is not immune from changing times. The same might be said of a temple. The hand of time touches everything like a minister dressed in a monk's salmon pink habit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heh, heh! A padlock for the mailbox. A lot of work is required for a visit from the minister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I remember having padlocks on some of my mailboxes when I lived in areas where mail would get stolen.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs